Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth the $10/month premium?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Worth the $10/month premium?

I live in DFW and since I have 4G coverage I can firmly say that the EVO is worth the $10 premium.

In the last year my 4G service has only become better.  It is faster on average now and the coverage is improving.

That's great. Tell that to people in San Diego and Milwaukee and see how they feel about their sparse 4G coverage. Again, the $10 was for "Premium Data" - NOT just 4G data. The $10 was slapped onto my Simply Everything Plan while I was still using a Hero! Same phone, same plan, extra $10 (realistically, you're looking at $130+ after taxes to a previous $108 that I had before). You can still be rolling on a Blackberry or an HTC Hero using 3G and STILL have to pay the extra $10. People don't understand, this is a mandatory $10 premium data charge that was not just for the EVO or the Epic, it's for all phones that send/receive data to peruse the internet, email, blah blah blah. I live in San Francisco, and the 4G is sparse there too if best. I have to turn off the 4G antenna if I want to watch anything on YouTube continuously since your phone temporarily times out when switching from 3G to 4G and vice versa.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Vespa55 I hate to tell you, you know not of what you speak. That is the problem with you people I dont think you are capable of understanding the issue. Vespa you wrote "You can still be rolling on a Blackberry or an HTC Hero using 3G and STILL have to pay the extra $10. People don't understand, this is a mandatory $10 premium data charge that was not just for the EVO or the Epic, it's for all phones that send/receive data to peruse the internet, email, blah blah blah. I live in San Francisco, and the 4G is sparse there too if best." That is true AFTER Jan 1 2011. Before that time, ONLY the EVO and EPIC had to pay that charge. So the EVO came out in June and the EPIC in Aug. I know that because I bought it the DAY that it came out so I actually know the history.

Secondly" you and Dana both spout "premium data" WTF if premium data? Can you explain it? no because data is data. Now there is limited and Unlimited data and with sprint it is unlimited not premium.

So AFTER Sprint figured out they were wrong by forcing the EVO and EPIC users to pay for something that many of them could not even get (i.e 4G i.e. more data) they decided to just charge everyone and say it was for unlimited data..... Hopefully you can understand, I doubt it, but at least try.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Are we REALLY still having this conversation? I don't care what you WERE paying, just compare what any other carrier would charge you for a TERABYTE of data at full 3G speeds. Yeah, I'm a little upset the coverage map lies, or maybe that's the coverage I might get on a perfect day, and the only place I can get gull 4G is standing on the Sprint store, but the EVO's speedy processor and a good 3G signal give me a pretty good "experience". For those of you having trouble with Sprint's pricing, why not complain that milk used to be 25 cents a gallon and delivered to your door. Come on people, look at the big picture. ABSOLUTELY unlimited use, at full speed for one flat price. Back in the day, AT&T didn't tell you about pricing, they just DID it. Car dealerships do of all the time. Sneaky price hikes are an American tradition. At least I'm getting value for my money. Maybe you feel your not. Maybe you don't use you smartphone to it's fullest potential. I do. I go through two to three batteries a day. Maybe you DID look at the mouth on that gift horse. But this complaining about the best service deal out there has gotten REALLY tiresome. Things change. Maybe not in a way to your liking. But that's progress. And if I have to pay 33 cents a day to someday soon get true 4G service, so be it. If Sprint had to get the money from a bank, not only would we be paying for the network build-out, but for the price of the money as well, and we would end up paying that as well. People who live miles from an interstate highway and never use it still pay gas and tire taxes on every purchase. So Sprint stretched the truth in some of their sales stuff. When was the last time you saw a Lexus have an entire city street to itself so it could zip around, unfettered by the real world? It's called advertising and it is ugly and deceptive. How long have you lived in America, anyway that this is so new to you?  --  Sharon

Highlighted
Wizard

Just because I can see things from the business side as well as the consumer side does NOT mean that I work for Sprint in any capacity. Sprint has NEVER written me a check for anything other than a mail in rebate!

8434750835 wrote:

Bull Dana Millan... you receive money from sprint (NOT!!!). How do they justify additionally charging extra money for phones without notice of the change or notifying customers at the time of purchase? All I see on the other side of the equation is cost-based pricing where they are willing to ***** anyone and every one over.. They charged one price for everyone, even without legal notices. A better marketing strategy would be to segment their markets. Sprint used to be a customer-valued service, now they don't seem to care. Sprint needs to learn how to segment, advertise and charge, or they will end up losing a lot of customers. Especially in these times.

As for your question, it cannot be justified to additionally charge money without notice either before-hand or at time of purchase. I will say this...Sprint has been charging this $10 premium data fee since the Evo came out and although it was initially tested on only the 4G phones it was meant to be put on all smart phones. They introduced this fee on only a few phones first then brought it up to cover all smart phones. There were flyers in the store when I bought my Evo. I was told about it when i bought my Evo and was explained the reason the fee is charged. I also overheard other reps explaining the same thing to other customers. And all of this was BEFORE the charge was moved over to all smart phones. There have been people discussing it here for almost a year now. I researched my phone online before the upgrade and read the fine print that stated the fee was necessary. I do not understand how you could not know about the fee before going to the store. Even though I do not agree that you were not told when you purchased your phone. THIS is also another reason why I always go to corporate stores and never third party stores. Better service and information...at least in my personal experience.

As for my data usage that I listed above that came off of the sprint.com website. And I promise I did not exagerate it at all. My data usage has tripled between my Blackberry Pearl to my Palm Pre to the phone I now have, the Evo. I have had the same 4 email accounts attached to all 3 and the same yahoo messenger. The only thing I have added is now i monitor my Twitter account which the app for it does not even update unless I open it. I keep friend Stream off of my home page so it does not update constantly. My 4G, Wi-Fi, BlueTooth, and GPS are off unless i am using them. So I promise no data is used all day that I have not used on my past 2 phones as well with the exception of the apps that update in the background like weather which I also had on my Pre but my data usage has tripled between each upgrade! So when they say it is to keep data from needing to be capped I believe it. I have seen it on my own account

I do agree that Sprint has made too many changes too quickly and it is upsetting a lot of customers. I fear you are right and Sprint will lose a lot of customers if they do not stop and think things through better before acting.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Vespa55 I hate to tell you, you know not of what you speak. That is the  problem with you people I dont think you are capable of understanding  the issue.

I signed up for another 2yr contract on February of 2011. I decided to hold off on my equipment discount hoping that something better would come along. Therefore, I was still using my HTC Hero. I don't know what's so hard to understand about using the same phone with a "premium data" charge slapped onto my monthly when the phone practically performs the same exact way it did before, during and after January 1, 2011. I decided to get an EVO in March because what the hey, I'm already paying $10+ for "premium data". Hopefully you'll understand that people here are voicing their opinions. While it's easy to critique other people's position on these forums, it's hard to criticize the feedback from someone who jabs at other forum members here (to go along with their whopping 3 posts since 2007).

Highlighted
Wizard

I agree with Sharon fully here...the way the Evo was advertised anyone could have read the fine print and seen the charge of $10 for the premium data fee. And yes Sprint did roll it out initially simply on the 4G phones but it was never intended to stay that way. Have you never heard of a test market?

You know why almost all you are reading within these forums is negative?? Because people who are truly happy have no reason to post anything. And then when they do they are criticized for it! WTH is that about. We all have a right to our own opinions. I happen to have a degree in business management and have taken marketing courses. What Sprint did by starting the charge on only 2 phones and then moving it to cover all samrt phones is actually pretty common in the marketing world. Life is NOT fair and many things happen that we all disagree with but that does not mean that it is not right and legal. Ethical is another question! No advertising is 100% true. I can't tell you how many times I have heard the advertisement for a fast food place and they have stated it is the "best" burger...well isn't that dependant on the person eating the burger and not the opinion of the company??? Sharon used the analogy of the car companies which is also a great one. All advertising is deceptive to a point because it cannot apply to every person.

Sprint may have done some changing this year that is not making people happy but they still show they care about their customers because we still have a premier program (unlike Verizon who cancelled theirs altogether) and a 30-day gaurantee program (unlike Verizon who recently changed theirs to 14 day and still have to pay activation fees if not returned with 3 days). While other companies are cutting off programs that benefit their customers Sprint is simply rearranging theirs. No not everyone will be happy with the changes and honestly some may leave only to find more reasons to complain about another company and the way they do business, but economically the changes had to be made. Sprint has not increased pricing in price plans in a long time and look how many other companies raised theirs rates through the recession. Just calculate for inflation!! I give Sprint kudos for creating Assurance which is going into underprivelaged states and providing free to very low cost service when qualified so that families can still job hunt and have connection with the outside world in the event of an emergency. I personally consider myself lucky to be a customer of a compnay who cares that much. They even were allowing calls and messages to Japan and Haiti free for a time to assist in families finding family members affected by these tragedies! Sprint cares way more than anyone of us gives them credit for!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok I've been with sprint for about 9 years now and for all of you fellow sprinters I think this $10.00 surcharge slash hidden fee slash BS well you get my point. Dam I really feel sprint dropped the ball on this one my contract just came up and I'm really considering switching to another carrier. I just don't like to be taken for a sucker. Sometimes I wonder if the people running these huge companies that eventually fail do they actually realize when they make such a bonehead move like this one. Come on people this is not the way to drive revenue up . I think the bulk of sprint customers are with sprint because it's a bit cheaper than the other big 2 ATT & Verizon but if they keep this sh!t up I don't know all I can say is it makes that decision a little less favorable for sprint

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree it a rip off!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

The $10 fee has been there for almost a year now.  With the amount of data I use on my Evo, I would be paying about $50 more on AT&T.  It is time to stop complaining about this fee and get on with your lives.  Even with the fee, Sprint is still significantly cheaper than the others due to the lack of data cap.  Sprint's stock sucks, and they need to do something to keep themselves in business. Do you want Sprint to still be around or would you like to see Verizon and AT&T put Sprint out of business? That fee ensures that all of us can use our smartphones on Sprint with no data cap.  To me, that is not a rip off, it is a bargain.

Highlighted
Wizard

I agree with u on this one  its still cheaper than others so not its not a rip off the price is just right!

Highlighted
Wizard

Stop complaining about the the $10 fee its sitll cheaper that others than At&t or Verizon i would pay the $10 fee that have data caps so u need to move on with ur life and enjoy ur Sprint service.So to me its not a rip off its just right!

Highlighted
Journeyman

i am being charged 10.00 extra for a palm pre also now they said they are doning that for all smartphones. thats why i pay 129.99 for unlimited data in the first place. they are turning into at&t by charging for every little thing. i am not happy with sprint anymore. i dont even get the 4g network where i live i barely get 3g i usually run off wifi so i truely get screwed.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat