cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth the $10/month premium?

Go to solution
Journeyman

While, I agree with your point about the $10 fee your comparison and technical understanding are lacking. A new computer and an old computer each on a specified network say 100MB are limited by the bandwidth capability of the network not the hardware in the machine. Likewise a phone with new 4G hardware but cannot access 4G does nothing to effect the amount of data they can access on 3G. The bandwidth of 3G is the limiting factor not hardware. Unless you are presupposing that the phone companies were using inferior 3G hardware before and now all of a sudden they are using new hardware that can actually perform what they sold you previously.

With that said, I agree after Jan 2011 when Sprint made the fee applicable to all smart phones and kept the data unlimited I fully think it is justified and am happy to pay the $10 for knowing that I have unlimited data available if I need it. However it doesnt justify the fact that before Jan 2011 the $10 fee was only charged to people that had 4G capable phones even though a majority had no access to 4G. 

Journeyman

You're incorrect.  I've been using an HTC TouchPro2 for 2 years, and my wife has been using a Samsung Moment for 2 years, and we've NEVER paid this $10 "premium data" ripoff charge until I changed my phone to a new HTC Arrive.  There are MANY Android devices available that do NOT require this $10 "premium data" ripoff charge.  My friend refuses to change to the new HTC Arrive because he doesn't want to be ripped off and pay extra for something he's alreday been getting included in his plan for many years.

If Sprint were going to somehow actually deliver "premium data" then I would be willing to pay.  As it stands now I'm getting charged for something I've always had in the past, and not getting anything extra for my money.  That is a ripoff.  They are ripping me off just because I wanted a newer phone (NOT even a 4G phone!!! Still 3G!!!).  That makes me a very angry user... Grrr....

GrandMaster

if you avoided starting up a new contract with them then you never would have had that added on to your bill. the new contract is what started it.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Master

Sorry that you are upset with the data charge.  This was done due to the increase amount of data smart phones  use.

The charge is only applied if you add a new device. If you have a smartphone prior to the first of the year it is grandfathered in and  does not get the increase.  If you add a new device.  The charge is applied.  The only device excepted from this process is the Samsung Replenish  where the  fee is waived.   Yes there are android device out there that are grandfathered in. 

Journeyman

Right, but my new device doesn't use any more data than my older grandfathered device.  I'm getting charged $10 per month for absolutely nothing more than I had previously.  If I had stayed with my old device (as my friend is) then I wouldn't be paying this crazy rip-off fee.  I'm not using any more data.  I'm not getting faster data.  I'm not getting "premium data".  I'm getting the exact same thing I've had since I selected Sprint as the best value carrier.  With this additional fee I've been prompted to ask other people how much they pay for the superior coverage of Verizon.  Their costs are almost the same as mine, and yet he has 4G with 40Mbps download speeds on his phone.  That prompts me to consider cancelling my new contract with Sprint and moving my entire family over to Verizon for better coverage and faster data speeds. Since I've only had my new HTC Arrive for 3 days I can still cancel and change carriers.

This new fee makes me very angry.  It makes me wonder if Sprint even cares about my business.  They are charging me more but delivering me nothing extra for those extra charges.  Very bad.

Journeyman

Good question.  I've had 2 HTC evo 4G phones on my family plan for almost a year now (in the Baltimore area)and have yet to spend one min in a 4G zone...so $240/yr for absolutely no value added to my service.  I've had Sprint service since 1994, but I'm definitely looking into other carriers now.

Journeyman

Ok, I can see everyone's point about the whole data usage thing. The thing is that when I bought my EVO's (that day they came out), I was told that within six months time I would have 4G available. The last time that I have checked I still do not have 4G. I feel that a charge for a premium service is crazy considering the fact that most of the country still does not have access to the service. So, why charge those people for a service that they are not getting? I get charged for the stupid fee on 3 phones out of 4.

Journeyman

The $10 a month fee is for ALL smartphones and applies to data usage and has nothing to do with 4G. It was implemented in Feb 2011 and applies to ALL smartphones activated since then. If you know someone using a smartphone other than the Evo and they are not being charged the fee, it's only because they haven't upgraded their device since the fee was implemented. Other carries limit your monthly data usage or drop your data speeds after you use a set amount of data each month. With this fee, Sprint is giving you truly UNLIMITED data usage. Even with the $10 fee, I am paying way less with Sprint than I ever did with Verizon.

Journeyman

I see that there are explanations posted that the fee is applied for all post Feb2011 smart phones and is not for 4G access...The rub is that I, and others bought the HTC evo 4G phones before Feb2011 and the fee was only for the 4G phones with at least the implied promise that we'd have that access...12 months later and it's not available to me.

That said, I have really liked the phone; just not the extra fee.  My wife, on the other hand is not real happy right now since her HTC lost onternet and phobne conection and is experiencing the endless reboot problem...call in customer service could not reset the phone so now we have to get to a store that has repair capability.

Journeyman

Re: Worth the $10/month premium?

and here is the PERFECT example of Sprints DECEPTIVE ADVERTISING ... RIGHT ON THE FRONT start page of Sprint today. AT&T's rates up 33% ... they go on to state that Sprint is ONLY $79 for Everything Data Plan.

What a LIE. Lets face it people every freaking person who gets a smart phone is going to PAY a $10 surcharge.

Soooo .... Sprints Everything Data Plan is TRULY a Lie advertising it at $79. When it really is $89.

I got two months to go and I am done with my contract, after six years of Sprint and up until last year speaking highly of them I am DONE, going to Walmart Straight Talk GSM Phone on AT&T network. Coverage is better in my area and price is $45. a MONTH for a TRUE UNLIMITED data plan. AND NO ADDED fees like surcharges that Sprint tacks on!

Sprint is done, finsished, trying to be more then people want. They also gambled everything on the I-Phone, gosh that thing looks OLD.

Highlighted
Journeyman

THey dont care about you, they dont care about me and they are pushing it so far with the deceptive advertising that soon more and more people will understand, advertising Unlimited Data Plans at $79. When it is truly $89. ! Right on the front page of their website. They are the latest in unethical companies. Sooner or later, someone will come along and change the game by doing right for the public and Sprint will go under.

and .... never mind the $10 in surcharges that are not required by law that they collect!

Wizard

If you have the 450 minute plan with unlimited data it is $79.00 a month not $89.00.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat