cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong Location

Journeyman

Wrong Location

hI,

I have searched on this forum and found quite a few people have the same people as mine. I just wonder if anyone has a definite solution.

My location changed to West Africa suddenly last night. The only way I can avoid that is either 1) UNCHECK "Automatic" in Date & Time Setting     OR     2)  UNCHECK "Wireless Network" in Location Setting.

Either way will work, however that does cause the problem if I am traveling, because my HTC EVO 4G will not detect my current location, and will stuck in my home location instead.

I called Sprint Tech and they asked me to do a HARD RESET of my phone, but could not guarantee it'll work. I do not want to do that because I will lose all of my Apps, etc.

Any comments/suggestions is much appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Wrong Location

I did the hard reset. Sprint does not have the answer yet. On top of the problem that we both share, My phone wants me to be in Dublin, Ireland, My phone has been eating through extended batteries. I am getting maybe four hours of time out of them. I have to carry three battereis a day and I am not even using my phone that heavy. Still I have no differnce after the hard reset and the time is still screwed up. There is software bug someplace.

Fix it Sprint.

Master

Re: Wrong Location

COBERGAS First of all do you have Advance task killer, or any task killer program? if you do, that is the major reason your battery is dying fast. Second, do you keep your GPS on all day? if you do, that will kill your battery, if you don't, that is why your Location is wrong. That's why they suggest to turn off automatic mode, since your phone has no way of knowing where it is without your GPS being on. I have the regular battery that came with the EVO and I'm getting around 16-20 hrs out of it, with a moderate Internet use, text, calls, music play etc and around 4-6 hrs on: heavy 4G use, GPS, youtube play, radio stream, heavy use overall.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Journeyman

Thanks for the tips but I have had the Evo since day one. ATK, Battery doctor, all those I do not use. I know about using the GPS and or 4g on and I have never even used my wifi.  I used to get two days solid with my extended batteries from Sprint. There has been a recent software upgrade or something that has made some program loop constantly. The location setting from GPS is not what the root cause on the clock to switch, it is the network settings from Sprint. Unchecking the network settings allow the clock to be manually set fixed the problem with the time and location setting but it still does not reseolve the issue.

1. Location and time setttings are being pushed from Sprint incorrectly.

2. There is a process running in the background that is killing the battery.

3. Could just be a faulty phone killing the battery but the Techs at sprint will not look at it like that. They say it is software related.

Still no solution so my statement stands.

Fix it Sprint.

Journeyman

Wrong Location

I have been told that my problems in the past were a result of "Task Killer" apps, but with out it I can put a new battery in, go to work (I don't use it except for lunch and breaks), and by the time I go home it is down to maybe 20% and very soon it alerts me to plug it in.

I use one I downloaded from the marketplace and it is super (pun intended). 

If they refuse to help you, you can try using the task killer to kill the apps that are running whose function is unknown due to the name.  It would take awhile but eventually you should find out what is doing this.  I had a similar problem with navigation and maps still running long after I stopped using them.  It has helped immensely. 

Journeyman

I just want to give an update.

This morning I thought maybe I'll give it a try to turn ON both the Wireless Network (in Location) and Automatic (in Date & Time), which is the ORIGINAL settings before I have the "time" problem. And I still have GPS running as usual. My location in time and weather has been correct for almost five hours now and hasn't gone back to AFRICA yet. Maybe it's just a glitch in Sprint network, I don't know. I'll see how long this will last. If it reverts back to Africa time and weather again, I'll post and let you all know.

Personally, I think if you still have the time problem, try to UNCHECK the Wireless Network in LOCATION (of course, unless you need to use it). You can still leave your Automatic in DATE & TIME on, and leave the GPS on. These steps work for me since I have the problem.

Thank you.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat