cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yes, it's official - the EVO Gingerbread upgrade

Wizard

I'll post additional information on this forum tomorrow morning with the details of the update but wanted you all to know it's official.  Here's a link to the announcement from corporate communications:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/sprintblogs/buzz-by-sprint/announcements/blog/2011/06/02/h...

UPDATE:

See the MR thread here http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/292810#292810

14 REPLIES 14
Journeyman

Re: Yes, it's official - the EVO Gingerbread upgrade

Will we be able to remove the bloatware apps this time? I really don't want to have to void my warranty, just to remove a first person shooter game that I never use (Nova). Or to uninstall a DRM defective movie app (Blockbuster) that drains my battery.

I really hope Sprint has been listening to the community on this one. Put these apps in your Market section instead of bundling it with the phone, and making them un-removable.

I'm really looking forward to the update!

Highlighted
GrandMaster

is anything besides the update coming along with this? as said above..bloatware and so on. or is it just the update by itself?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Can u tell us what version of HTC sense will be in the ota?

Journeyman

Not certain, but in another discussion forum someone mention HTC Sense will remain the same, the newer version will be applied to newer phones like the EVO 3D that's should be coming out later this month

Journeyman

Yeah but the newer phones like the 3D have htc sense 3.0 and the evo has 1.0 . So they should atleast give us htc sense 2.1. HTC sense 2.1 has been available in the UK for over 6 months and some of those phones have the same internals as the evo so the Evo is compatible. Since the new phones are all shiping with 3.0 giving the evo sense 2.1 would not really hurt the sale of new devices like the 3D and would give them a good rep with their customers. If they dont alot of fans will be dissapointed and could think of going to another manufacturer for their next device. Only a few more hours and we will find out

Also their is a leaked rom for the evo shift that has sense 2.1 on board so it would really upset alot of people if the shift got sense 2.1 and not the evo

Journeyman

Any way to get an update as to when the user-initiated OTA download is going to be available? The steps suggested in the press release (ie. Software updates->HTC software) currently reports 'no new updates'.

Journeyman

I've been trying to update my phone this morning, but it looks like Sprint servers are not able to handle the demand.

Journeyman

6:01AM Pacific Standard Time - still no update available here in San Francisco. There are customers posting that they finally downloaded it in Chicago and other random parts of the country.  Far as I'm concerned, June 3rd is officially June 3rd at 12:00AM. Whatever. I'm not expecting much from the jump to 2.3.  The HTC Sense on this phone will remain 1.0 (which I've proudly dismissed since I'm using LauncherPro, I can care less if Sense is running in the background, Sense is horrible).

Master

JDFANCHER wrote:

The steps suggested in the press release (ie. Software updates->HTC software) currently reports 'no new updates'.

Keep in mind, last time they had a new update out, many ppl couldn't get it and even though they went under software update they had to keep pressing "search for update" many times until it was showing in their phones, I would think it's the same deal now.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Journeyman

Dj_Damjano, you are correct. After the 20th plus time I pressed "Check Update", I finally got the prompt to download the update via Sprint's Network or WiFi.. It's a 100+ mb file. This should be interesting.

Journeyman

I restarted my phone, and upon restart and going to Settings > Software updates > HTC Software, I was prompted for the download. The restart seemed to trigger it.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat