Journeyman

dont like the 10 dollar fee?

http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

complain to the fcc.

Tags (3)
84 REPLIES 84
Journeyman

Re: dont like the 10 dollar fee?

I for one am NOT drinking the Sprint cool-aid on this one. I expect to pay for service I use, as any consumer should. I see many different arguments about what this "Premium Data Plan" entails, all of which I am not bitting.

1. The argument that this is for use of 4G. The VAST majority of us are not in a 4G market. And it seems like we wont be in the 2 years of our contracts we would sign. I'm sure there is some sort of service book or provisioning they can do on this phone to enable or disable 4G service. Why would I pay if it is for this? I would MAYBE be in range of a 4G market for a week total throughout my 2 Year agreement. Also, didn't Dan Hesse stand up and say 4G would be free, as it costs Sprint LESS per KB than their current 3G technology?

2. The argument that this is for use of new applications (such as QiK Video Chat). Considering that everyone in my phone book is a Verizon (Droid/Incredible), ATT (iPhone), or T-Mobile contact, I don't see why I would use QiK as it would be exclusive to Sprint at that point. I'm sure Google will come up with a GTalk update for camera use for free. If you include the YouTube player built for the phone (isn't YouTube free?), I still say it isn't worth it as I could use the regular internet with flash support.

3. Argument that this is to recover the cost of the phone. I'm sure, I'd pay the full price and not get a discount over pay $10 a year for my two year agreement. It costs about the same, AND I wouldn't be tied down to a contract. Just doesn't seem right. I'd prefer to pay more for the phone than to pay for some imaginary service Sprint has concocted which I would rarely use if ever use.

4. The argument that this is still cheaper than ATT and VZ. See my point above that I know no one in Sprint. Well, sure "any mobile any time" means more minutes for me, GREAT! But the only reason we need it in the first place is because everyone has already jumped ship to VZ or ATT.

After 4 years of service through Sprint/Nextel myself, 10 years total when you count my college/highschool years when my parents paid for the phone through Sprint/Nextel, I will be pulling up steaks and moving to VZ once my contracts are up in a month or two. Sprint, I really think this is a poor marketing choice on your end. You are charging for a service which you have no idea about in terms of adoption rate (they ESTIMATE these in marketing, but they are marketing an entirely new technology) or even the extent of people you can cover over the course of their two year contract. Would have been fine bundling this package into the $30 hotspot package. Then I would say this is worth it.

Wizard

Yep and the FCC will laugh in your face. Even with the $10 fee you will be paying less than a Droid on Verizon or an iPhone on AT&T. You don't want to pay the fee then you won't get the EVO. Whining and crying about this isn't going to get you anywhere. Either get the device or don't.

dd

Journeyman

Dennyd, I agree with you. This isn't a cause to get up in arms about and go to the FCC. A company has every right to get money for products and services they sell. Its their job to their share-holders. But as a consumer, some people have to see this as wrong and a bad marketing strategy. As a consumer, I will pay for service I receive or will receive from a company. I wonder what sprint's numbers would look (for interest in the evo) if they came out with this at CTIA. I'm sure not even CLOSE to the current projections.

Journeyman

bgreenwoood wrote:

Dennyd, I agree with you. This isn't a cause to get up in arms about and go to the FCC. A company has every right to get money for products and services they sell. Its their job to their share-holders. But as a consumer, some people have to see this as wrong and a bad marketing strategy. As a consumer, I will pay for service I receive or will receive from a company. I wonder what sprint's numbers would look (for interest in the evo) if they came out with this at CTIA. I'm sure not even CLOSE to the current projections.

except that thier charging 10 bucks to people that have no access to the services which the fcc will be looking at after the consumer complaints begin to mount.

Wizard

I don't know this, I will have to be hands on with the EVO first, but I think the capabilities of this device will entice users, even in 3G areas, to consume a lot more data than devices currently on the market. Sprint is anticipating this increase in usage and is charging accordingly. AT&T and Verizon have already hinted that new data use fee structures are coming and with the way they charge right now, I would rather pay the $10 for unlimited than the arm and leg that Verizon and AT&T will charge.

dd

As I said in another post, since I have an upgrade coming, it is a $340 phone ($199 + $10 per month for the 12 months I will have the phone). I don't feel that is an unreasonable price if the device meets my expectations. I live in 4G never never land (Mesa, AZ) and don't expect to see 4G service for quite some time. I am also quite fond of webOS so this device will have to meet some pretty high expectations for me to buy it. In any case I will wait until August to see what HP/Palm will do before making any type of move.

Message was edited by: Dennyd

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow Sprint has really messed up with the evo. They should really rethink passing up the n1, because sprint is not gonna sell as much as they think for the evo. If u want to use all the features of the phone it will cost $110 bucks and thats for only getting 450 minutes of talk time. So with hesse stating in a keynote speech that u will not get charged extra for 4g and now with the clarification, pretty much any new smart phone could possible come with the $10 extra charge.

I think that alot of people are gonna get suckered into getting this phone. Then find out it really costs $40 extra per month, there are gonna be alot of ****** off people and sprint is gonna lose even more customers.

I really think sprint has some pretty sleazy business practices and i will be contacting the fcc here is the link http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

Here is a good example:

i spent 3 hours on the phone with tech support because i have replaced my moment 3 times and all go into airplane mode every so often. The tech finally said its a known issue effecting all moment phones and should be fixed when 2.1 is released. I asked for a replacement he said i exceded my allowable amount of replacements and i would have to pay full price or wait 6 months. I said let me talk to your boss this is bs i wanna cancell service, he transfered me to retentions. Then i talk to retentions sup he called me a liar and said that it does not effect all only a few moments. I told him what tech said and he said im a liar again and that i could cancell but would have to pay my etf's for my 2 lines. Wow sprint could care less about their customers. As soon as i can get out of sprint im goin to verizon they get all the latest updates in a timely mannner and have the best android phones.

Journeyman

You have access to it if you live in OR travel to a 4G covered city.

So, saying you don't have access to 4G is incorrect.

Are you saying that you're NEVER gonna travel to a 4G coverd city(more are coming this year)?

I can hear it now.

I don't wanna travel to get 4G!!!

You don't have to.  You can not use the EVO.

You're still getting a great deal on the current plan you are using now.

Stick with it.

Journeyman

Hesse lied.  Google CTIA 2010 sprint key note speech.  He stated there would be no extra charge for having this phone.  Sprint stated to me that this basically is a fee to recoup the cost of the phone being priced so low.  What a joke.

Journeyman

I can't say I'm terribly thrilled, and I really can't say I'm surprised.

Sprint has a nasty habit of pulling some kind of stunt that throws a monkey in the punchbowl and the EVO launch and this $10 fee, especially after Dan Hesse's remarks about the relative costs of 4G network operation Vs. 3G make the entire thing a little hard to swallow.

I would much sooner pay a more realistic upfront cost on the phone itself if it is such an expensive piece of hardware than an extra $240 over the lifetime of my contract.

Journeyman

yeah wonder how he gonna revise that statement since he is on camera saying that lol

Journeyman

Correct me if I am wrong, but to use this phone you have to have one of their "Simply Everything" plans, correct.  With "Simply Everything" meaning unlimited data usage, which is a huge selling point for Sprint.

So why would I have to pay another $10 for them to "uncap" an already unlimited data plan?

I mean I know I am already getting shafted by being on an old SERO plan - I could not use a Pre, Hero or Touch Pro 2, but this is getting ridiculous.  Sprint does not have the power or the user loyalty to start gouging people on price like AT&T does with their iPhone.

I am a 9 year customer of Sprint as well as a stockholder.  Yet I am so disgruntled by this nonsense, I think I am going to wash my hands of anything that even remotely smells like Sprint.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat