cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is EVO the iPhone Killer???

Highlighted

is EVO the iPhone Killer???

I certainly am more than pleased with my EVO. Sure there are little quirks like the battery, but let's face it I can hold the phone anyway I want and not lose reception. Sprint has a 4G network at least in Philly where I live. As far as I know it is still hard to get an EVO as they are still sold out and they were released prior to the iPhone. I read a great article that I will pass along here http://dld.bz/jNRx . As far as I am concerned once we get the 2.2 we should re-compare the EVO and iPhone to see who really is the killer.

7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: is EVO the iPhone Killer???

People want thier I phones  I have spoken with several people that already have the Iphone 4 and they all believe it is a 4g phone. even though the att website says 3g.  I'll stick with android.

Message was edited by: segar123

Some people just buy the iphone cause it is an iphone. How lame, "Sheep". I bought my EVO cause of what it can do.

Journeyman

On paper the Evo is pretty much an iPhone killer. However, HTC (and Sprint?) have intentionally crippled the phone with a 30FPS limit. So basically you can say it's still an iPhone killer, but an iPhone 2G killer. NOT an iPhone 4 killer. The Evo has no hope in any decent gaming with this limit. How could a "wicked fast" phone be crippled like this you ask? I have no idea.

Journeyman

30FPS is no longer a issue.

Journeyman

Yes it is. The hacked kernel only works on Novatel screens and breaks the camera. We need the source code from Sprint to truly make it work.

Journeyman

gknicks wrote:

30FPS is no longer a issue.

Is low fps on 720p HD movie recording not an issue with EVO Camcorder too? It barely makes 20 fps, and specifically jaggy with the intensity adjustment where it is barely 5 fps.

By the way have you seen iPhone HD video quality on Anand iPhone4 review? Compare it to EVO and others.  Compare also 7.5 hours browsing time on iPhone to 2-3 hours on EVO. And look at the comparison shots EVO vs iPhone4 LCD text quality. Shocking even for me who always was a bitten apple hater. They clearly set new high bar standard here.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/8

Journeyman

Couple things.  The 30FPS is a software limitation, not a hardware limitation. You know what else was a software limitation?  The wireless N, which is now available for use on my EVO 4G.   What else is available on my EVO 4G if I want it to be?  Custom ROMs that fix issues such as a 30FPS software limitation.  Will the 2.2 update fix that for me?  I don't know. 

Battery life?  It seems to be subjective.  Apples products are always geared towards a somewhat longer battery life performance wise in comparison to other companies,  but I have absolutely no problems with my battery life at all.  I consistently get 24+ hours of battery time with moderate use.

Is the EVO the iphone killer?  Not really, but despite what people think, why does it need to be an iPhone killer?  I don't care about what phone kills the iPhone, all I care about is that the Android platform does well.  Seeing as how the android platform is gaining market share at such a great rate in comparison to the iOS,  and that this same software is so amazingly scalable, affordable, and upgradable (and they upgrade very often), I love the amount of choice I have when selecting my next phone that an iPhone doesn't even register as an option anymore. 

I think the iPhone has its place for some users,  usually those that know little else, or aren't willing to learn something different,  but with the EVO on my side, I've successfully turned a large amount of iOS and blackberry users to the android side (not necessarily the EVO, mainly because you can find amazing Android phones on *any* carrier)  in my company.  So, in summary, is the EVO the iphone killer?  No.  Android is the iPhone killer.... or maybe more appropriately,  Apples contract with AT&T and 1 phone a year policy is the iPhone killer.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat