cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Low on space" with what looks like plenty of space

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have been getting the "Low on space: Phone storage space is getting low." message on my EVO for a few days now.  I can't for the life of me figure out why this is happening.  When I look at the application settings, I see that I have 6.7Gb free on the SD card and under "Running" I show 200 Mb used and 158 Mb free, then on All (Internal Storage) I see 385MB used and 41MB free.

(As an aside, this is a really problematic user interface.  What are we, the users to make of these two different numbers attached to "Running" and "All"?  One, I would guess is working memory and on is non-volatile install space, but it is so far from clear.  Someone should ask him or herself how they would explain this to a non-technical person.)

Removing an application doesn't seem like it will make a significant step towards getting me more memory, and it doesn't even look like I'm critically in need of more memory.

I have read some stuff through google that suggests that some of the HTC apps may be leaking memory. I smashed the cache for Peep, and that got the message to go away, but only for an hour.  I tried to smash the cache for Messages (SMS), but nothing happened.

What does this mean?  Is there anything I can do about this?  It seems like my syncing has become unreliable with the arrival of this message, so I would really like to fix whatever is going on.

Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13
GrandMaster

its a known issue but they havent found a cause of it though. for some it goes away after a FR. for others its still there.

if you have the time can you list us out the apps on the "ALL" including what theyre actually using memory wise? dont know if anyone has actually done this or not but at least others can look and if theyre using one of the same apps they can hopefully compare your usage to theirs and so on. plus techs can look at it and hopefully find something useful out of it.

i know my yahoo mail was taking up alot of space before...even clearing out the sent,trash and spam folders did nothing. but after i did the FR it was at least 3 times smaller memory wise.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

By "FR" you mean "factory reset," right?  As in "wipe the state of my device and leave me with hours and hours of reconfiguration and limping around with a crippled phone," right?   Frankly, if I was going to do that, I might as well just buy a new phone...

I don't have time to list out the apps now, but I will try to get to that.  Please let me know what you mean about "what they actually use memory-wise."  There are at least two places that we see information about applications in the applications management setting:  on the "All" tab and on the "Running" tab.  The memory totals on the two tabs (as I mentioned in my original message) add up differently.  I have no idea why.  One says "RAM" and one says "Internal Storage."  My guess is that this is RAM versus Flash memory, but I dunno. Which are you interested in?  Running I could probably manage.  The list on All is insanely long, given that I can't extract any other way than eyeballing it and typing.  Anyone know of a way to dump this info to a file?

Master

Re: "Low on space" with what looks like plenty of space

There's an app that has "reserved" a portion of your memory for use whether you're using it or not and may have reserved this memory multiple times.  If we don't know the specific app since it may only be "running" at sporadic times, we are only left with a "FR" as the previous post mentioned.  I usually start at the Market application, Menu, My Apps, and peruse the list for culprits to try and avoid the FR.  But ultimately, this is the easiest way to correct the problem and get your phone working normally again. This is really an issue where the EVO was designed with relatively low application memory because at that time the Android Market itself was still in it's infancy.  It's more of a long term planning flaw in the design to not have enough memory; but the infamous "memory leak" is an issue that's still being investigated.  Newer phones have a full gig of memory for plenty of application storage.  The new Motorola Photon has 3GBs of partitioned application memory. 

Tom

GrandMaster

FR=factory reset

memory wise meaning with some apps when something like this happens the memory it is using is WAY more than it normally uses. no one has narrowed down where the memory leak is or what is causing it. then again no one has really charted out what apps theyre running and what theyre actually using either. so doing this will either point out a app that has gone haywire or then again it might point out nothing out of the normal. might as well just go with apps you have downloaded and if nothing is found then onto the next step. at least some of the techs/tech savy guys in here can look at it and hopefully point out a culprit.

have you moved as many apps as you could over to the sd card? not all will go but alot of them will (the main data for the app goes. the actual app does not)

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
GrandMaster

whoops..didnt know tom posted while i was thinking out my responce lol

Master

, we appreciate the help fireguy_6364

Wizard

I have noticed that news apps, either the news for sense, google, google reader or greader will continue to consume memory even when items are marked read. Try clearing the cashe on any installed apps of this nature.

dd

I choose to be an Advocate for Sprint. In order to comply with FTC rules I must state that I was a SAGE 2011 attendee. Expenses associated with SAGE 2011 were covered by Sprint Nextel Corporation and HTC.  My attendance at the event in no way precludes me from speaking in favor or against items of interest to Sprint or HTC.

GrandMaster

The same goes for instant messengers. Even if logged out they will continue to run in the background.  skype included.

Journeyman

I moved a couple more:  Netflix and Firefox.  That seemed to help at least for now.  What's interesting was that they were very large in reported size in memory, but after I moved them to the SD card, they looked about an order of magnitude smaller. I wonder if this is symptomatic of a memory leak?

Journeyman

fireguy_6364 wrote:

FR=factory reset

memory wise meaning with some apps when something like this happens the memory it is using is WAY more than it normally uses. no one has narrowed down where the memory leak is or what is causing it. then again no one has really charted out what apps theyre running and what theyre actually using either. so doing this will either point out a app that has gone haywire or then again it might point out nothing out of the normal. might as well just go with apps you have downloaded and if nothing is found then onto the next step. at least some of the techs/tech savy guys in here can look at it and hopefully point out a culprit.

have you moved as many apps as you could over to the sd card? not all will go but alot of them will (the main data for the app goes. the actual app does not)

I'm still not sure what is meant by factory reset.  This is the one that will blow away all of my apps, right?  I suppose I could get them back from AppBrain, but even if I do, they would need reconfiguration...  This is where I wish there was an "iTunes for Android."  Not a music player, but a desktop backup framework.

Journeyman

I checked for the news apps, and none that I could see had anything in their caches.  But the Sense App may have been stuffing items into Firefox's cache....

I have actually found relatively few items that were listed as having a lot of cache.  I tried to empty "Messages," but nothing happened.  It showed as emptying the cache, but when I went back to the application memory use, the cache was still there.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat