cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sprint music store transfers

Go to solution
Journeyman

sprint music store transfers

I recently purchesed my EVO and i am having a hard time transfering all my music over from my instinct.  The only music that sucessfully tranfered was the music on my SD form my PC, but not the music i had downloaded form the sprint music store.  Does anyone know how to fix that?

Tags (2)
13 REPLIES 13
Master

Re: sprint music store transfers

Sorry, But it can't be done. The songs you bought from the Sprint Music Store are DRM protected .koz files and will not play on the EVO.

Journeyman

Are u sure, I specifically called sprint tech services yesterday before I bought my phone to make sure it was compatible and they said yes.  I'm just not near a land line to call them today to help me trouble shoot.  I thought maybe someone on here may have done it before.

Highlighted
Master

Yes, Positive about it, Here is a quote from Will(Sprint Admin)

"".koz files are DRM encrypted music files only playable by the music player on your previous phone.  There is no way to convert them to MP3 files.  There is no player on the Android that supports the DRM encryption on the .koz files.  You can continue to play the music you bought on your previous phone with your previous phone, even if it's not activated.""

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/137022#137022

Sprint Product Ambassador

Yup - the music bought through the Sprint Music Store (.koz files) is digitally encrypted (DRM) to only play on the device that bought it.  It cannot be transferred.

You can still play it on the deactivated Instinct.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Wizard

nothing against you, but that is terrible.  why would i then want to buy music from the sprint music store if it's locked to the specific phone?  this would be a reason for not upgrading the handset, wouldn't that be counter intuitive as sprint want people to upgrade their handsets every 6 months?

someone should make this a sticky as a warning to everyone.

Journeyman

thanks guys u were right. But sprint tech services was great and the credited my acount for all the music I downloaded so that i could redownload them through the amazon app. That was about $300 worth.  It will suck to have to redownload all my songs, but thats better then loosing out on all that money spent.  So I am happy with my new phone and the courtesy of sprint to refund me all my money.

Journeyman

they will credit yor account for the purchases though. so you can pay to redownload them through the amazon app

Journeyman

I'm happy they did that for you because that would absolutely suck.

Journeyman

Well the EVO does have several apps that allow you to download music for free

Wizard

that's awesome for you, but did the sprint tech guy say that's normal procedure?  i'm sure a lot of other people could use the same help.  i only have a few songs, no where near as much as you.

Journeyman

I'm not sure, they didn't say.  But it was their idea not mine.  But it may have to do with my original phone call to them before i bought my Evo asking if my music store music would tranfer.  The tech guy told me yes.  I asked, "are you sure because it didn't work when I bought the Hero, and thats why I returned it and went back to my old phone"...and he said yes.  When it didn't work, I called and several people tried to walk me through it, I don't think for some reason many of the sprint people know that it doesn't transfer.  They were all baffled and sending from supervisor to supervisor.  The last supervisor I spoke to just said "Well why don't we just credit your account for those purchases and if you don't mind just redownlaod your music from the Amazon site.I was happy with that.

One theory could be that I have been with Sprint for over 10 yrs and maybe becuase they made the mistake of telling me they would transfer and becuase i downloaded so much music from them, they were afraid of losing me as a customer.  Who knows...

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat