cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sync outlook notes into my evo

Highlighted
Journeyman

sync outlook notes into my evo

How can I sync my outlook notes into my evo, it only backs up the calendar and contacts and I have lots of info under notes in outlook.

7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: sync outlook notes into my evo

HTC provides the HTC Sync program that you may download from: http://www.htc.com/us/support/evo-sprint/downloads/. The current file is: HTC Sync Update for EVO 4G (Sprint) (2.0.40) | 06.16.2010.

Please note that this program has several bugs that hopefully will be fixed in the next release.

1. It checks the USB ports every 2 to 5 seconds causing the cursor to change to the hourglass (or spinning circle).

2. It mauls Outlook Contacts in several ways

a. Contacts that have only Company name will have "null" added in the first and last name fields.

b. some Contacts will be duplicated.

c. If you choose some Contacts as Favorites, HTC Sync will create a new Outlook Contacts category that will create several problems in the *.pst file.

d. Contacts chosen as Favorites will have a piece of XML code added by HTC Sync in the Notes. This should be a no-no!

In my opinion, it is OK to use this version of HTC Sync only after backing up the *.pst file. After synchronization that will copy all your Contacts to the phone including Notes, close Outlook, delete the *.pst file mauled by HTC Sync and replace it with your backup.

Journeyman

Touchdown software from the Android Marketplace works fine.  No issue and everything including catagories sync fine.

Journeyman

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but I think that Touchdown is an elaborate and expensive piece of software for synchronization with the Exchange server. It's my impression that all that we need is synchronization with Microsoft Outlook on our desktop or laptop computers.

Journeyman

The Touchdown software cost $20, so it may be expensive.  However, considering I just spent $200 for the phone and agreed to pay $80 plus junk fees each month for the next 2-years, it's not that much of a deal breaker.

Journeyman

Do you have financial interest in this software? A disclaimer would help to filter hype from truth...

Journeyman

No financial interest whatsoever, in fact I have no financial interest in Sprint, Google (Android), or Microsoft (Outlook).

I have used Blackberry (AT&T and Verizon) since 2002 in my job and AT&T as my personal cell carrier.  I moved to Sprint in part to get the HTC EVO and one of the most cumbersome aspect of Android for me is the lack of Outlook note and task integration.  I have been using the GTD and TBYL workflows for catagorizing and managing task since around 2000 starting in paper and moving to digital around 2004 about the same time integration with Outlook was really working well with most PDA's and smartphones.  I tried the Moxier application in addition to Touchdown and it worked fine, except it had a seperate icon for every function.  However, Moxier does work well overall.  The Touchdown application does the same functions but has a single icon and a different interface.  BTW...I use MS Office 2010, so this was an issue also with simply syncing everything to Google.  Also, the native Android mail application sends forwarded messages in an EML format, which has resulted in many calls and responses of not being able to view the message.

Bottom line, I use this phone every single day and it must work effectively and efficiently for everything I do.  I purchased Touchdown for this reason, it simply makes the phone useful and helps me work more efficiently which is worth the $20.

Journeyman

I've found that Gsyncit works beautifully for synching outlook notes, calendar and contacts into the gmail cloud and onto my Evo.  Notes become Google Docs, which I am able to access easily with an Android app called GDocs.

If you need to move these items from another phone, synch them with Outlook first.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat