Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1/28/13 - Data Call Failure Errors and Loss of Data Capabilities

Patron

1/28/13 - Data Call Failure Errors and Loss of Data Capabilities

I love my HTC Design 4G and have had it (with minor issues) for over the last year. 

However, my most recent issue with this phone has been over the last 10 days and are major.  I'm not sure if it is Sprint or HTC, but someone is doing updates/maintenance in the area and my service has been outrageously inconsistent.  When my phone is affected by these "outages" (which has been happening multiple times daily for the last 10 days and can last from an hour to upwards of 8 hours!!), these are the issues that I see.  Approximately every 10 seconds I receive an error message on my phone that simply states "Data Call Failure".  Doesn't seem like much, but this means that I'm not receiving emails, cannot send picture mail, cannot access the internet or GPS, and cannot stream Pandora - ie. My data service (which I pay for unlimited) is non-existant.  I'm furious with this as I listen to Pandora daily and being out of touch with my email is unacceptable.  I have been in contact with Sprint Tech Support 4 times over the last 10 days and their answer is (this is my translation of what they're saying) "we know your phone isn't working, we can't fix it, and we don't know when it will be working again".  This is VERY frustrating to me, but they're not pointing fingers or taking responsibility...

Is anyone having these same issues?  Is there anything that you have found that has helped/fixed the issue??  Are you getting any better answers from Sprint or HTC!?!? 

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: 1/28/13 - Data Call Failure Errors and Loss of Data Capabilities

Chem_In_Neb,

I hear your frustration and would like to do everything I can to help out here. Since you have contacted technical support I'm sure they have gone though the 'basics' but I do want to make sure we get that data profile properly updated. There is an option in the settings> About Phone>System Updates to update the profile but it's possible we need to just wipe the provide out totally and make for sure it's updated with a new one. You can try dialing ##72786# - This will wipe out programming and then  go in to the above menu and update the profile.

Aside from that. Are you seeing an error 67 or any other number in the error message?

Thank you,

Chris

Highlighted
Patron

I am receiving the error 67 about every 3 minutes.  Not quite as often as the "Data Call Failure", but often enough. 

I have done the ##72786#.  I actually have done that twice.  Last Sunday and then again on Thursday when Sprint Tech support called me again.  One or both of the times, I was currently experiencing the issues and it would not make the correction because it didn't have the data services to be able to.

If I do this again, you state that it's going to "wipe out programming", is it going to clear my contacts or something similar that I should back up my phone prior to doing this?

Highlighted
Wizard

Chem_In_Neb,

Ok, thanks for the info. If we could try it one more time that would help me narrow it down. The ##72786# will NOT wipe out any personal information. It only clears out the back-end network information. Beyond this I would like to take a closer look at the data profile on the account side from my end. Would you mind sending me your phone number? Please send this via private message to avoid posting person info in the thread.

Thank you,

Chris

Highlighted
Patron

Sent

A

Highlighted
Patron

I attempted to do the ##72786# that you had suggested.  It asked me for a password that I don't have.

Have you found anything about on the plan side of things? 

Please write back - it's still happening and they said that it was expected to be done by Sunday.... At this point, I'm calling Sprint Tech support tomorrow and going to be on the phone with them until it's completely resolved or my bill is comped for the month - this is absolutely unacceptable.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm having same problems...data failure...no service on phone....MSG pops up data roaming

Highlighted
Journeyman

Would appreciate any input from those of you who have either the HTC Design or Shift.  I currently have a Galaxy S2 which is giving me all kinds of problems - network/internet connection is, on many days, non-existent.  The phone overheats and every so often just shuts itself off and then reboots again.  I am on my 4th phone.  First one was new from the Sprint store, 2nd ordered by Sprint store after it had black lines through things, 3rd one was because the customer care could not figure out anything else to do and continues to blame it on the phone and not Sprint's lousy network.  Now they are offering me the option of keeping the Galasy S2 I have OR a refurb HTC EVO Design, HTC EVO Shift or a Motorola Photon - none of which I deem acceptable at this time so told person I would think about it and let her know.  Do not see that changing brands of phones is going to solve the problem of not being to get on the internet or stop the Network Error messages that I continually get now since the common these of these posts for the Design appear to also be no data service.  That would still indicate to me that it is the fault of the Sprint Network and not any of our phones.

Highlighted
Patron

There was a period in time where someone was having issues - I'm not sure if it was Sprint or HTC or what, but someone was having trouble.  I took my phone in (the one that this original issue was about) and they replaced the phone because they said the antenna was bad.  I was happy with that until I received one of the error messages that I'd had originally (with the previous phone) the day AFTER they had replaced the phone.  I took the phone in, they did some activation vodo, gave it back to me, and I haven't had a problem since

HTC EVO Design and HTC EVO Shift are going to be VERY similar.  I have the Design and I love it. I didn't think I'd like it because everything is touch screen, but this would be the most similar to your S2.  The shift will give the full keyboard, but will have a similar operating system to the S2 and Design. 

I would not recomment the Motorola - let me tell you why.  Before I had the EVO Design I had a Motorola Q.  I had a new phone every 3-6 months because the thing was a piece of crap.  I'd take it in for this that or whatever and they'd just replace the phone w/ a new Moto Q because they knew the thing was crap!  So I would stay away from Motorola.  HTC and Samsung are great brands with great products.

I'd choose the EVO Design again in a heartbeat.  I wouldn't do the Shift because it's so bulky.    But that's just me.  Hope this helps

Highlighted
Journeyman

At this point I am waiting for the "supervisory technical support" people to try to determine what the problem is but have not heard anything back as yet.  Right now (knock wood) the phone is doing fairly well - lots of "network error" messages but they seem fleeting.  But that has happened before after I complained - funny, isn't it, how it starts working when you complain and then goes back to the old problems?  Have an "alledged" rep for Dan Hesse who is supposed to call me back on 3/8 to see how things are going and, while as I said the phone is working fairly well right now.  Do not expect that to last.  Field person I know very well said that because Sprint is the only carrier with unlimited service has had an influx of people who want that along with 4G service, the lines are clogged and it is Sprint's network that is the problem - not our phones - and until and unless they upgrade their towers, doms, etc. nothing will change and we will get the same old song and dance and service - or lack thereof.  I will wait out my contract and see what happens and then will make my decision as to whether or not to stay a Sprint customer after all of these years or go elsewhere. 

My son has an HTC with AT & T and is satisfied with it and with their service so that may be the way I go.  My granddaughter has Verizon and has good service and that, too, is another option.  Will have a few months to think on it and decide.  I am tired of the constant phoning, arguing, lack of customer service - they never seem to pass along the full composition of what I have said in my calls - and just the total frustration.  May go back to just a cell phone and to hell with the "smart" NOT! - part of it and end it entirely.  Will make that decision before February of next year - if I am around by that time as I am 73 years old and they are aging me by the day.  Should not have to go through all of this trouble no matter what type of phone we have but Sprint appears to have cornered the market on trying to see how frustrating they can become and how much they can anger the customers.  Becoming an art form with their customer service and tech support.

Good luck

Highlighted
Patron

gators4321,

I totally understand your frustration, I've been there more than once.  Just like the people that are moving to Sprint for the unlimited, I really like the unlimited that I pay for.  I'm one of those that has 10,000+ text messages every month and over 1 million KB of downloads and stuff like that - so going unlimited is the only way to go if I don't want to go broke  

As for your friend that works for Sprint and states that their network is the problem - that's a possibility  - I can't speak to that though.   I always find that things get done faster when I go to the store and show them that I'm angry lol  Also, then they can see the error and try things faster than when I am digging through my phone looking for something.  It takes them less time to look at something than it does for me.

Good luck with you're decision!

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat