cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7/31/12 - HTC EVO Design 4G Software Update - 3.14.651.0

Journeyman

Re: 7/31/12 - HTC EVO Design 4G Software Update - 3.14.651.0

My wife just returned from the Sprint Store.  They said they would restore her last version within about 90 min. Then they came back out and said they can't.  There was another customer complaining about the same thing.  The tech came out and began trying to convince everybody that the new update is easier to use and will make the phone faster with improved battery life.  The other lady's husband said, "I told you you should have gotten an iPhone."  Her reply - "I don't want an iPhone.  I want the phone that I had yesterday."

The Sprint tech sarcastically asked them, "what do want me to do about it?"

The new update is horrible and unusable.  Every action is hidden behind multiple menus which compounds the laggy performance.  Every interaction on this phone is now painfully slow.

I attempted the Factory Data Reset, hoping that I would uncover the original software, but it didn't work. 

The only other thing I can think of would involve complaining enough that Sprint would swap out for a phone in the box on the shelf in hopes that it still has the old software.

Good luck to everyone.  Sprint and HTC just stole the phones we paid for.

Journeyman

I HATE THE UPDATE!!!

IT HAS MADE MY PHONE SO SLOW AND NOTHING SEEMS TO BE WORKING RIGHT! I ALSO KEEP GETTING KICK OUT OF EVERY APP. AND WIDGET I HAVE.EVEN AS I AM TYPING THIS MY KEYBOARD IS BEING SLOW AND WONT STOP DOING ALL CAPS!! I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS UNTIL NOW! NOT HAPPY!!! HOW DO I UNDO THIS UPDATE!!!

Journeyman

While I agree the lag is there, I also received a Facebook update the same day, and now im not getting any facebook related notifications, including words with friends. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I don't know if its related to the system update or the fb update

Journeyman

brejifus wrote:

Since I upgraded I can't clear my notifications. I used to be able to touch the button 2nd to the left on the bottom of the phone, then go to notifications, then check them or clear all notifications. Where did this go???

The notification screen has always been a pulldown. Just slide your finger down from the top of the screen (where notifications and the clock are displayed) to bring it down.

your-name-here wrote:

Anyone successfully downgrade an Evo D4G yet without unlocking?  Can you decline the update? 

Post update, my business apps crashed so often I could not use them.  I agree the UI is definitely sluggish compared with the old one - Sense 3.6 was not updated and may not be optimized for Android 4.03.  Little pont in ICS with old Sense.  Music recovered itself after a reboot, no other problems observed, everything else works.

But at the end of the day the apps this device was purchased to run no longer operate after several hours of frustration.   That makes it a brick, so it in off and on the shelf.  I activated my old phone so I have a reliable tool.   I'll give the D4G another try in a few days.  Where Sprint support told me there was no way to go back, Sprint activation told me I could revert to the original OS by Settings --> Storage --> Factory data reset (which would wipe the phone).

Factory resets do not uninstall software updates and the only way to downgrade is a messy process or have been an experienced user with a device backup. You can simply ignore updates. I ignored every udpate from launch until now, lol. It'll just sound off once daily to remind you that it's available.

Unless the dev has gone through the trouble to say so in a recent update or someone with the OS has mentioned it in the application's comments, it's a safe bet that an app may not be "ICS Ready". Although it's been out for a while, some of the most popular applications are still just starting support for it. That's also part of the reason I went ahead and did a factory reset. If I get issues, I can be pretty sure that incompatibility is the root of the problem.

Journeyman

Gah!!! after 3 resets the stupid thing is even slower and uses up the battery in half the time... Wonderful update!!! NOT!!! I have taken off most of my apps  just so I can make the battery last until noon.This is my 3rd HTC, and it WAS the best one until now! again Thank you to the developers.(note pissed off sarcasm)

Journeyman

This is stupid, everything lags now. i cant type anything without waiting after each sentence to let everything catch up to see if i typed anything wronga! Sprint customer service is joke, all theyre doing is reading the same list of fix it solutions over and over... Now they want me to comre in so they can do the same shit they already told me ro trya! to waste my time on top of stealing my money... right cause your x"specially trained techs are so well trained and knowledgeablea! Their doing the same stupid stuff theyre tellibg us over the phone. my buddy went in wirh the sqme phone and they did x"everything they couldx"... told him sorry nothing erlae we can do... hey wanna drop five hundred bucks on a new phonek?

like what the f..... Seriouslya! they compketely wreck our shit and tell us too bad drop another half grand on q new one cause your not eligible fpr an upgrade!  Ha, yeah right, sonebodies tring to screw all of us into 1. buying new phones and paying for theur LTE service that only a few states havr. Like seriously look at this message. in not trying to type like an idiot but im also not gonba wait for each word to load so i can check it before i go on to thw next.

Im paying this last bill and if they havent fixed this piece of junk or replaced it, im going to either Att, or Verizon, it more expensive yeah but at least ill be paying a sgit ton of mobey for sonethi.g that works

Back again, and I am in utter disbelief. I was happy after I could listen to my music again, and the D4G even seemed to be exhibiting it's prior performance potential. It was not AS fast, but very close. All of my media was there, and some of my apps that I'd previously had minor problems with even seemed to perform better as well. Even the browser. That is, until just a few hours ago. Everything went ape$#!+. No media AT ALL. It's all seemingly gone. Not to mention dropped calls since the update. I'd written that off before, but I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the situation now. And not only will HTC's own apps not recognize my media, but no other app on my D4G will. None. All of my ringtones and wallpapers are gone, too. Everything. The apps are there, which strikes me as odd. I will check my SD card for any problems, but this really sucks now. I'll be posting results later for anyone that may be interested. Thanks, everyone.

Journeyman

Unbelievable.  I have to wonder what Sprint/HTC had in mind with the upgrade.  No one has come on this forum to praise it.  The amount of problems it's caused is astronomical.  Sorry for your woes.  I would suggest you remove your battery and reinsert after 30-60 secs.  I had to do that and it did fix a few errors.  Good luck and have a happy weekend....

Thank you, Annie. You'd never guess what happened... My media showed up again. I was randomly checking some things and boom, there it all was. Even in the music player, all of the songs were there. The clunkiness is still the same, though. I'm wondering if this is how it's going to be for the time being. Intermittent "loss" of media. I've no clue what to do about this other than ask someone at Google, HTC, and Sprint. And until there's a definite solution to all of this, I suppose I will just keep resetting as most of you have been doing and suggesting. I can only blame myself, though. I should've known better than to get the update as soon as it was available. I should have waited until they'd solved the first wave of problems with a patch. Same thing happened with my last device. I was just overcome with ICS excitement, though. Oh well, have a good wekend everyone. Thank you, Annie. I wish you a happy weekend, too.

Journeyman

No problem, pal.  That's what these forums are for...to help solve each other's issues.  I too should have waited but

didn't....hopefully a patch will become available soon.  In the meantime....as you said...we can

continue to reset as needed.  Thanks for responding!  Cheers----Annie

Journeyman

I hate the update my phone is lagging so bad.

Sprint Employee

Hello redneckmama20, if your phone is lagging after the update, and enough time has passed for the phone to optimize apps/databases then it's possible that an installed app is the cause, have to cleared cache/data for any apps yet, or do you have any security, or task managing apps installed?

No longer working Community Response.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat