cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7/31/12 - HTC EVO Design 4G Software Update - 3.14.651.0

Journeyman

Re: 7/31/12 - HTC EVO Design 4G Software Update - 3.14.651.0

to GROMANJR, thnx for this nugget!  was this response in these forums, am interested inreading that thread.   if i get brave enough to try, i'll update this, lol.  

Journeyman

is this a factory reset?  if not,  whats different? 

Journeyman

It's not a factory reset, as far as I can tell it just wipes the temporary data cache, which may be what slows it down so much especially with a lot of apps like my phone has. But it's different because it doesnt actually erase any app data or phone info like contacts pics or any of that. It worked for me so i thought I would share, i couldnt find anything on this forum about a way to fix it. All the threads in here all suggested just the same old "turn it off, take the battery restart that should be it" type fix or the "erase everything and start from scratch" which i was not willing to do.

Journeyman

thnx, i was just curious becausea sprint rep at a nearby store implied that it was only accessed through the phones hardware.  also , temp data caches can be clearedthrough the settings=>storage=>make more space, right?  is this different?  thnx in advance, as you can tell i'm no wiz,  just engaged .  lol

Master

Wipe Cache Partition will only remove files that are used to speed up the phone. In some cases the files loaded in initial boot can get corrupted, preventing the phone from starting correctly or causing other issues. Clearing the cache removes these files and rebuilds the cache from scratch the next time the phone turns on. No user information is lost.

Journeyman

hey, thnx!  trying to get up the nerve to try this 'fix', lol. 

Journeyman

Hmmm...would like to see if this works for anyone else.  My D4 is a real dog after ICS.  If I decide to stay with Sprint, I will probably stay away from HTC next time and go with a Samsung

Journeyman

Well, I did the settings=>storage=>make more space thing and it seems to have really made a decent difference in the speed.  I also moves a bunch of apps to the SD card at the  same time.

Text messages, camera, phone and gallery all load much quicker than before.  We shall see as time goes on...

Journeyman

did the Wipe Cache Partition from the Hboot Menu,  IT WORKED!  much speedier, thnx to GROMANJR , halcyocmdr123 !

Journeyman

Let's see if you are still so happy in a few days.  I did the wipe cache thing and it made a difference for a few hours, now it's back to being slow again.

I read elsewhere a theory that it's related to linking Facebook contacts with Google contacts.  I haven't tried breaking that link yet to see if that fixes it.

Journeyman

bmg4me... a few days now and still good.  not a fb fan,  ive disabled the app.   maybe ur right about it

Thanks for that tip, it seems to have worked out quite well. The lag is not as bad now. What really grinds my gears (yeah, I used a Family Guy reference) is that I still cannot successfully connect this thing to my computer. I've tried contacting Microsoft, Google, and HTC to no avail. I haven't even gotten responses from them. The Android help site is useless. I'm not even sure what's at fault here, as the D4G connected without problem BEFORE the ICS update. And I know that Windows 7 has new crap added that conflicts with various devices and programs. Is anyone else having this issue? I'd gotten so frustrated with all of this over these past few months that I decided to just get rid of this phone and get a new one, only to find out that the buyback program that Sprint flashes ads for every time I visit the site would only get me 20 bucks for the Design 4G. Twenty. Bucks.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat