Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVO Design...worst phone I've ever owned!!

Journeyman

EVO Design...worst phone I've ever owned!!

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and wanted to get everyone's opinion!  I upgraded to the Evo Design back in March and regret ever doing it!  Does anyone else experience these issues...

1.  When I talk to people, they always complain saying that I sound like I'm on speakerphone and they have trouble understanding me.  Does anyone else get this complaint?  If so, is there anything that can be done to fix this?

2.  My battery life is horrendous!  When I wake up in the morning, I take it off the charger and don't touch it again for 2.5 hours and it loses 30% battery life!  Does anyone know how I can get better battery life out of this awful phone??

Thanks in advance,

Nick

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

1. Which software version is your phone using? If you don't want the ICS update, you can go as far as v2.12.651.8 (Settings -> About Phone -> Software version). Updates to this point resolve some phone issues. I haven't had anyone complain about my voice quality, at least while speaking through the phone directly.

2. Go to Settings -> Power -> Battery Usage and you can see what apps have been using the most battery. If there's an app at fault, check it's settings and see what it may be doing in the background. Usually, even with the automatic setting, your screen should be the biggest drain on the battery but obviously it shouldn't kill the battery on an unused phone.

Journeyman

Thanks for the reply!

1.  My software is version 3.14.651.0 710RD.  I just upgraded something a few days ago and it changed the entire look of my home screen and all the other little menu's, so that might have been the software update?  And yes, that's the thing that bothers me as I never put the phone on speaker phone because I can't understand anything when I do that.  It's all static and constantly breaks up.  Sprint ordered me a new phone the other day, so I HOPE that will fix the problem, but I doubt it.  I used to talk to this guy on the phone a lot and he had an EVO and now I understand why he was so hard to understand....it makes sense for why people complain about my phone now!

2.  Correct, the screen was the biggest drain 52%, Dialer at 26%, Cell Standy 12%, and Phone idle 10%.  Are those readouts normal or should they be different?  What is dialer and why does it take up a quarter of my battery?

Journeyman

Since you already have the latest update, there's not much that can be done on the software side of things in terms of call quality. After the update, you should update your phone's profile and PRL. Since a replacement is on the way, you don't really have to worry about it.

The dialer is related to phone calls, call log, etc. If you spent a decent amount of calling someone or messing with your contacts, this is why the number is large. Everything else is pretty much normal. You can click through items on the power list and see how much time they've spent on or using the CPU. If there isn't an outstanding culprit, it may be an actual battery problem. I guess you'll soon find out when the replacement arrives.

Journeyman

Oh OK, so I'm not going to worry about it with this phone.  On the new one, is there anything I should do to help prevent these issues from arising?

Journeyman

If your replacement already comes with the ICS upgrade, not much else to do besides make sure you update the Profile and PRL (preferred roaming list) so that your phone maintains the best connection available (Settings -> System Updates). Even as a replacement, a phone isn't always shipped with everything updated. After it's powered on and you log back into Google, leave the phone alone for 5-10 minutes because it will perform background updates of some apps and account information (Contacts, purchased Market goods, etc). The biggest cause of the upgrade problems is being an in place upgrade. Since you'll have a new one, you can upgrade to ICS (if necessary) and factory reset immediately after

Aside from that, just watch the behavior of your phone as you reinstall your apps. Depending on how much I'm using my phone (ie: active with screen lit and using data, my battery life is anywhere from 8 to 18 hours. I haven't tried to break my pre-ICS record of 24+ hours yet. Also keep in mind that any app that uses background data may consume power but not necessarily register on the power consumption list. Apps with push notifications can send and receive data at all times, even when not open.

As I mentioned, there's some native UI lag that cannot be helped but it's not as bad as after the upgrade.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat