Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Evo and Carrier IQ

Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC Evo and Carrier IQ

Dear Sprint, 

Allow me to opt out and uninstall Carrier IQ and other bloat/spy ware (NASCAR, Facebook, ect.) or I will be opting myself out when I drop you as my carrier.

Sincerely,

A disgusted customer

49 REPLIES 49
Highlighted
Journeyman

There is no excuse for this app being installed on my phone without my ability to opt out.  Sprint - you should be ashamed!  Data collection, whether it is for business reasons or not, is not your right to collect without the knowledge and permission of your customers! Shame on you!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just signed a two year deal with Sprint and my wife and I each have an EVO 4g. This is nothing but an invasion of privacy and very ILLEGAL!!!! I am not paying monthly fees to have some jerkoff collect my personal information, which b y the way, I never agreed to in the first place!!!!!!!!!! It would be nice if we all know who exactly is getting all of our info. It is odd that they will not give any of us that information.

Highlighted

tazz5150 wrote:

I just signed a two year deal with Sprint and my wife and I each have an EVO 4g. This is nothing but an invasion of privacy and very ILLEGAL!!!! I am not paying monthly fees to have some jerkoff collect my personal information, which b y the way, I never agreed to in the first place!!!!!!!!!! It would be nice if we all know who exactly is getting all of our info. It is odd that they will not give any of us that information.

You do not even known if there is a invasion of privacy at all.

Highlighted

stephienm80 wrote:

There is no excuse for this app being installed on my phone without my ability to opt out.  Sprint - you should be ashamed!  Data collection, whether it is for business reasons or not, is not your right to collect without the knowledge and permission of your customers! Shame on you!

if program only measurement areas include coverage quality, roaming performance, signal strength, calls events (e.g., call drops, call failures), battery events, application performance and troubleshooting (e.g., length of time to open an application, streaming issues, etc.). Sprint’s purpose for collecting the metrics through the IQ application is to meet customer expectations for both voice and data service quality and to improve those services.Then they have a right to put it on there,but when it comes to ones private information then there should be a opt out.But what is listed here does not count as private information because it is all deals with network performance.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If I never gave permission, then it is an invasion of privacy.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@VorlessDarkChaos

You must not be up on the breaking news? This carrier IQ thing has been confirmed to collect your every key press, This means text and  anything U type in the browser. Its highly ilegal, it breaks federal wire tap laws.  A senator by the name of Al Franken is going after carrier IQ and then sprint, att and t-mobile. Carrier IQ holds all the data and gives sprint the data pertinent to their needs. So sprint in the end never sees our texts and stuff like that but they are still allowing carrier IQ to collect this stuff so they will probably be charged as accomplices here are a few articles

http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/01/9143034-att-sprint-t-mobile-use-carrier-iq-but-dont-...

and

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/30/smartphone_spying_app/

Their are a few more articles with proof but dont have the links on hand and will porbably post them later

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yea, having a key logger baked into my phone with no way to disable it (aside from gaining root) isn't a privacy issue at all...

/sarcasm

I've seen your posts on multiple CIQ threads Vorless. I hope Sprint or CIQ is paying you to schill for them. Otherwise, you are just hopelessly ignorant.

Highlighted

@Barker009 That does mean that any of your private information is being sent out. @Bsoa right now I am out of work and any moneyI get is only from unemployment.Into it is proving that any our private information is being sent out to someone where, no one should assume anything at all.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Vorless:

You are either the most innocent, ignorant, trusting soul on earth, or a total tool for Carrier IQ.  Information is power.  If it's being generated by someone, then it is being collected, otherwise they wouldn't generate it.  It IS being generated, and I would guarantee it is being collected.  The real questions are why, where is it going, and for what purpose. 

I guess if I really wanted to put on my foil hat I'd say Homeland Security had a hand in this, but I won't place any bets on that.  This is just another case of corporations spying on the small guys. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Class actions have already been filed. I look forward to all of the half-a$$ed excuses we're about to hear, until the truth actually comes out. I think Sprint's biggest issue for this is the tech-savviness of the Android community that will figure out exactly what is being sent, when, and that will certainly be a longer list of invasive practices than anything CIQ and Sprint will admit.

Really dumb, really really dumb.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Carrier IQ's website braggs about maximising profits for corporate clients by harvesting data from their customers.

Have you complained to the FCC yet?

Even though Sprint pays major cash to candidates, this is a fight we can win.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat