Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Evo and Carrier IQ

Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC Evo and Carrier IQ

Dear Sprint, 

Allow me to opt out and uninstall Carrier IQ and other bloat/spy ware (NASCAR, Facebook, ect.) or I will be opting myself out when I drop you as my carrier.

Sincerely,

A disgusted customer

49 REPLIES 49
Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint Sucks. Period. I feel really terrible about reccomending Sprint to so many people over the last few years.  If Sprint doesn't respond with a solution to protect my privacy I will be taking my 1800 bucks a year elsewhere.  Hoping everyone else has filed an FCC complaint, and complained to the manufacturer of your phone.  I received a response from HTC stating that they were working towards a solution on removal of the HTC IQAgent.  I don't believe them, but at least they responded.   

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can anyone recommend a good stock rom for an Evo 4G that does not have CIQ in it?  I'm not looking for a highly customized rom, just the stock Sprint Gingerbread (2.3.3) rom with CIQ stripped out.  If the Sprint crap apps / blockbuster are gone that would be fine but I can always remove those later.

Highlighted
Journeyman

in all honesty i would go with a cyanogen mod rom over a stock one. it is build from source from google and doesnt have sprints hands in it at all

Highlighted
Journeyman

CyanogenMod is what others at my work suggest as well.  Since Sprint refuses to address this beyond standing behind their privacy statement, I'll be rooting my phone as well. 

Message was edited by: mapesy

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint what will be your excuse today why this garbage is still watching every move we make? That is of course if anybody from Sprint will even reply! We want Carrier IQ off now!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I appreciate your response, but I still don't think Sprint "gets it".  I'm not disputing Sprint's need to collect service data for network performance.  My concern is that Sprint only collects a small part of the data that CIQ generates.  Sprint can have their data, that is fine. But all this other data generated by CIQ puts my phone at risk.  I cannot perform secure banking or handle credit card data through my phone because CIQ stores all this information in plain text, and these are tasks that I often have to perform for my employer.  How is Sprint going to guarantee that this information is safe?  I'm sure, as we exchange these emails, someone is already writing a trojan into an app that will skim this file off phones in the future. 

It's not about Sprint's need to collect data. It's about too much data being collected and stored in an unsecure manner.

Sent: Thursday, December 8, 2011 5:38 PM
Subject: Re: Care # (General Inquiry - General Inquiry) ()

Thank you for your reply. I attempted to contact you on 12/8/11. Due to the urgency of your issue, we have an escalated path for you to reach us upon callback. You may call us back at 1-###-###-####. When you reach the menu options, please select option 8. As this is an escalated path, there will be no menu option for option 8 on the recording. You will be contacted with our department directly. Our hours of operation are Monday through Saturday from 9:00 AM to 11:00 PM eastern standard time.

Thanks for choosing Sprint and have a great day!

We value your business and appreciate the opportunity to answer your questions. Please reply to this email or visit sprint.com if we can be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Sprint

Well, I wish you had called a little sooner.  The reason you couldn't reach me this afternoon is because I couldn't wait for Sprint to act any more.  I spent the afternoon rooting my phone and installing Cyanogenmod.  It was a rather daunting task, but I was successful.  Yes, I am aware I voided my warranty, but I figured I have about 6 months left on this contract so if anything happens I can just buy out the rest.  The peace of mind I'll have out-weighs the warranty issue. 

Why couldn't/can't you be this responsive sooner, and to everyone else who has concerns regarding CIQ? 

Highlighted
Journeyman

VorlessDarkChaos wrote:

Just because someone does not agree what others say does not mean they should call that person a tool and a liar that is very rude. The ones who can judge carrier iq is only court system and no one else and that means everyone here.

Are you telling me you haven't seen the video released by Mr. Eckhart that clearly shows they are key-logging passwords and usernames even on https??

So we have Carrier IQ and and HTC IQAgent.........both of which do the same thing. They illegally log what is being entered into secure sites such as banking, email and other services that are supposed to be encrypted and that's ok with you?

Here is a link with an EVO that is not even in service, still logging away. What other 'proof' is required? What does it matter where it's sent? If it were a typical data gatherer, which are bad enough and basically something we will have to live with in using Google in general. But this is an entirely different level:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T17XQI_AYNo

Watch that and tell me everything is ok.

I was happy with Sprint..........had a fantastic sales guy that worked me through my initial setup of my EVO 4G. I sent dozens of friends to them and was looking forward to upgrading to the Galaxy S II........now, not so much. I'll likely be rooting the first chance I get........

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think we need to face the fact that Sprint simply refuses to remove the pre installed Spyware from our phones. I couldn't even get a response from them regarding the issue after 4 calls. There is a Class Action forming  (which I am happy to contribute to) against Sprint for this very issue, but you'll have to google it since I'm sure Sprint would remove the reference from this board.

I would not have purchased two Sprint Evos, signed a two year contract, and transferred a number I've had for over 30 years to Sprint, if the existence of the Spyware had been properly disclosed.  It wasn't.  I had to learn that my passwords, financial transactions, location, privledged corporate data, etc. were being ILLEGALLY logged and reported to parties unknown from the Internet.  I spoke to an Attorney (in case I have to bring legal action on my own to get out of my contract) and was instructed on how to  "mitigate my damages" which is evidently a required element.  

I've purchased a couple of cheap tracphones for day to day usage, while letting the expensive Sprint phones sit unused due to their high security risks.  When I do get a call on the number I've had for 30 years, I tell the caller that the Sprint phone is not private or secure and give the temporary number of the tracphone.  This is of course a great inconvenience, but necessary due to Sprint's covert and unethical data collection methods.

Sprint, and other carriers, are forcing customers to honor contracts for phones that grossly endanger our privacy, security and safety.  This Spyware was installed on our devices without our knowledge or consent... and this IS actionable.  We do not have the free and unrestricted use of our phones directly due to the unauthorized Spyware, and deserve to have ALL fees paid to Sprint under duress fully refunded.  

Everyone who's aware of this serious issue needs to repost the information to every board and blog we have access to. This is going to be a long, drawn out legal battle, and we need to make the general public aware that their privacy is being invaded by Sprint and other carriers who deploy this Spyware in secret.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I forgot to mention a very important detail.  I sent a registered, return receipt requested, letter to Sprint demanding that they immediately remove the Spyware from my phone, or release me from my contract.  This is an essential element to obtaining a full refund of the $200.00+  per month I'm paying for phones I can't use, at a later date.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: HTC Evo and Carrier IQ

I think we need to face the fact that Sprint simply refuses to remove the pre installed Spyware from our phones. I couldn't even get a response from them regarding the issue after 4 calls. There is a Class Action forming (which I am happy to contribute to) against Sprint for this very issue, but you'll have to google it since I'm sure Sprint would remove the reference from this board.

I would not have purchased two Sprint Evos, signed a two year contract, and transferred a number I've had for over 30 years to Sprint, if the existence of the Spyware had been properly disclosed. It wasn't. I had to learn that my passwords, financial transactions, location, privledged corporate data, etc. were being ILLEGALLY logged and reported to parties unknown from the Internet. I spoke to an Attorney (in case I have to bring legal action on my own to get out of my contract) and was instructed on how to "mitigate my damages" which is evidently a required element.

I've purchased a couple of cheap tracphones for day to day usage, while letting the expensive Sprint phones sit unused due to their high security risks. When I do get a call on the number I've had for 30 years, I tell the caller that the Sprint phone is not private or secure and give the temporary number of the tracphone. This is of course a great inconvenience, but necessary due to Sprint's covert and unethical data collection methods.

Sprint, and other carriers, are forcing customers to honor contracts for phones that grossly endanger our privacy, security and safety. This Spyware was installed on our devices without our knowledge or consent... and this IS actionable. We do not have the free and unrestricted use of our phones directly due to the unauthorized Spyware, and deserve to have ALL fees paid to Sprint under duress fully refunded.

Everyone who's aware of this serious issue needs to repost the information to every board and blog we have access to. This is going to be a long, drawn out legal battle, and we need to make the general public aware that their privacy is being invaded by Sprint and other carriers who deploy this Spyware in secret.

how do you know that the tracphones are being monitored the same way?       legal.....blahblahblah...............get out your tinfoil hat.....

until  it is  factually determined    exactly what data is being logged  and  if  and to whom it is being sent............   you got nothing..........

one video from a know  hacker is  not evidence.............  it will take investigation from a respected third party  under controlled conditions to make a determination of what is really happening with data logs and carrier iq

and all verizon said  it that it didn't use carrier iq,,,,   maybe there is another program hidden on their phones...........  

Highlighted
Journeyman

"how do you know that the tracphones are being monitored the same way? " 

The point is that they are NOT being monitored the same way.  Please try to keep up.

[...]

I'm not sure what you mean by this?  I have it on very good authority that a "tin foil hat" will not protect the company you're shilling for from legal action?

"until  it is  factually determined    exactly what data is being logged  and  if  and to whom it is being sent............   you got nothing.........."

It has been factually determined that the software is present on the phones, and is capable of logging private data without the user's knowledge.  This is enough to make the phones a high security risk.  In fact, NOT knowing what is being logged and to whom it is being sent, increases that risk for the end users.  If I were to use my Sprint phones to communicate anything of a sensitive or private nature, I could actually be held liable by my clients should any of their data be stolen by CarrierIQ and/or Sprint, now that I'm aware of the Spyware that's been  installed on my phones without my knowledge and/or consent.

Then there is the rapidly spreading damage being done to Sprint's (very expensive) corporate image.  I personally know of two other people who've stopped using their Sprint phones (and removed the batteries) within the past week, upon learning of the Spyware. Multiply that by how many a day? This is just going to keep snowballing, because PRIVACY is still very important to some people.  Personally, what I think we're looking at is the beginning of the end of Sprint.  Their abject refusal to respond to this issue is fast eroding customer confidence, and it's only a matter of time before the Brand Name "Sprint" becomes synonymous with "Spyware" on the Internet. Their refusal to respond to affected customers on this issue is exactly the type of thing that destroys a company's public image.  The only question at that point will be who buys them out a few years when they're near to insolvent, AT&T or Verizon?

Sprint appears to be operating on the old "ignore it and it will blow over" principle, which did work well before the Internet allowed damaged individuals a voice.  Back when all companies had to worry about was the mainstream media, they could  effectively ignore reports of serious defects in their products, but that has changed.  Now the information spreads from forum to forum, and blog to blog, until no one with the awareness of a snail darter is willing to put down money for a Sprint Spyware phone

"one video from a know  hacker is  not evidence."

It most certainly is, because if one "average hacker" can do it, so can others.

"...........  it will take investigation from a respected third party  under controlled conditions to make a determination of what is really happening with data logs and carrier iq "

This is true, and as I understand it, a detailed forensics analysis is being done by a respected, impartial, third party...which is why I said I'd be happy to contribute.  Please understand that I intend to recovery every single penny that Sprint's Spyware is forcing me to spend.  I did not want this, but Sprint has given me NO other option.  I'm being forced to pay for two phones I can't use securely, which is the issue you seem to be expending great effort to obfuscate.

"and all verizon said  it that it didn't use carrier iq,,,,   maybe there is another program hidden on their phones........... "

It's always possible, and if it's ever discovered that Verizon is pre-installing Spyware on their phones like Sprint is,  I strongly suspect Verizon will find itself in the same legal mess as Sprint.  However, what Verizon does, or does not do, in no way effects Sprint's civil, and possibly criminal, liability in this matter.

Blacrok, I understand that you just ran through your "publicly defend the company and refute any negative posts" script, but I should think that with the money CarrierIQ is raking in with their Spyware, they could at least afford corporate shills who can write above a 5th grade level?

Message was edited by: mapesy

Highlighted
Journeyman

YouTube has videos on how to do this. You have to pay attention to the fact that Gingerbread broke more than just the GPS. You need to first use Odin to install a different kernel so that you can boot into recovery mode and then add a cucsom rom from the sd card.

You will probably have to wipe the phone because it filled up all the memory when changing to era legendary rc 2. You can google it.

GPS works again. Carrier IQ showed back up, however!

I think Sprint reinstalled it somehow.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat