Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor battery life / unbelievable data usage

Journeyman

Poor battery life / unbelievable data usage

I have been having battery life problems in the 6 days since I got upgraded to ICS, and I couldn't figure out why it was happening.  Today, I got a data usage warning (I really like that feature!) that indicates the Mail program (not Gmail) has used 1.98 GB of data, in 6 days!!!  So I think I found the culprit, but I can't figure out why it's happening or how to stop it, short of just not using the mail program.  I might try to delete and re-establish the account and see if that does the trick.

Any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2
Journeyman

I use the "Mail" app instead of the "Gmail" app but here's some things to look for:

- If you get attachment heavy email, check and see if there's attachment options in the settings. There may be a limit on what size it will download or way to stop it from downloading them automatically.

- Unfortunately since Gmail went unlmiited, they no longer display email sizes. If the android app does, use that to gauge the size if your incoming email.

- If you're syncing all lablels/folders, limit yourself to just the important ones. I do believe there is an option to choose which ones are synced.

- ^ In addition, see how far back you're syncing. It might be going all the way back to the beginning instead of, say, the last 30 or so received.

- Go to the Application Management section and see what the current size of the Gmail app is. If it iself is almost 2GB in size, it's doing a lot of excessive downloading and storing. If not, there's probably a truckload of attachments in your downloads folder (generally the default auto-save location) or there's another reason for the high amount of traffic.

Journeyman

Thanks for the tips, Mahlon.  Here's some additional information:

1. The sum total of every email in my mail store for this account is only 2.2 gb, in around 15,000 messages.  So it really can't be a result of attachments, etc, to get that sort of volume in such a short time.  I can only presume that there was continuous sync effort happening, or something like that.
  2. I deleted the account and let my phone sit for a half day, and the battery life improved considerably.
  3. After about a half day, I re-created the account in the "Mail" app and now for the past day, it appears that my battery life has continued to be better, so I'm presuming that the account setup had a glitch in it that I was able to correct by wiping it out.  I should have a better idea on what my battery life is at the end of the next couple of days.
Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat