cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speech-to-text capitalization, punctuation possible?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Speech-to-text capitalization, punctuation possible?

I love the speech-to-text feature in my new EVO 4G.  However, is there a way to get the program to start each sentence with a capital letter?  I've sort of figured out that I can dictate a comma, period, question mark, etc. at the end and it will put it there, but it doesn't enter apostrophe's correctly (as in "I'll").  Are there ways around these issues?  The User Guide is no help!  Maybe I just need to give it up, but it happens to be a pet peeve of mine, being a former English teacher.    Can anyone help? 

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Master

Re: Speech-to-text capitalization, punctuation possible?

Speak into the phone clearly and use full sentences. When you want to use punctuation you’ll need to speak the name of the punctuation mark.  So, to enter a full stop you’ll say “Period” to get the punctuation mark entered. Have you tried this way? Let me know.

Also, I would suggest you to try this 3rdpty app -ShoutOUT

Key features:

• Free to use
  • High accuracy speech recognition
  • Fully automated, real-time transcription—see text results in seconds
  • Onboard voice addressing that integrates to your contact list—your contact list is never uploaded to a server
  • SmartWord™ editing—see alternatives to transcribed text
  • Speakable punctuation—just say "exclamation point" or "question mark"
  • Large font option and landscape mode make ShoutOUT a great multitasking tool.

Abe

Journeyman

Hi Abe,

Thanks for your insights.  Yes, I've had mostly good luck getting it to add punctuation by speaking the punctuation mark, except for apostrophes. 

Is there a solution to starting each sentence with a capital letter?  Proper names are not capitalized, either.  It's frustrating.  It would seem easy to program the software to use a capital letter after a period, question mark, or whatever is an obvious end to a sentence. 

Does ShoutOUT use capitalization?  Is there a charge for that app? 

Karen

Master

IAFL-ShoutOUT is free.

What about punctuation?

ShoutOUT supports spoken punctuation. Speak the punctuation mark you would like to insert, for example, "exclamation point" or "question mark", and ShoutOUT will insert the symbol into the transcription. The supported punctuation marks are: period, dot, exclamation mark, exclamation point, question mark, comma, apostrophe, dash, ellipsis, hyphen, quotation mark, begin quote, open quote, end quote, close quote, colon, semicolon, slash, backslash, ampersand, at sign, asterisk, underscore.

For more info on this app, visit this URL http://shout-out.mobi/android_faq.php

Thanks

Abe

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat