cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why won't my HTC EVO Design 4G wake up? And what puts it to deep sleep?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Why won't my HTC EVO Design 4G wake up? And what puts it to deep sleep?

3 times in the past 24 hours I've gone to wake up my HTC EVO Design 4G phone using the power button and it won't wake up.  It's not that it's turned itself off - more like a deep sleep.  It will have a good charge on it already, but the only way I can get it to wake up is to plug it in again which isn't very convenient.  Has this happened to anyone else?  Any ideas on how to wake the phone up when this happens without plugging in?  Or what setting to change to make it stop?  Thanks! 

29 REPLIES 29
Highlighted
Master

Have you pulled the battery so the "memory" resets? Your operating system has allocated memory and a program for power management and one of those is the culprit. Hopefully this is just the "hiccups" and not a serious file problem. Let me know if a battery pull fixes the issue.

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having the same issue.  I bought 6 of the evo designs for the holidays amd birthdays as gifts and the first 3 that are all in use all do this.  My worry is the other 3 will do the same thng once they are opened on christmas. They also go into a deep sleep if a caller hangs up on a call prior to the design ending the call.  The rep at the store said it was an app conflict and reset the phone.  That didnt solve the problem and now that all 3 are doing the same type of thing I think it may be software related.  Can anyone offer me advice on how to fix this as the sprint reps said I only had 14 days to exchange the phone and that any "repair" would involve a "refurbished" aka USED phone.  That's not what you want to hear after dropping a few hundred on phones and signing up for a 2 year commitment.  New EVOs would seem to be the right answer.

Highlighted
Journeyman

After following HTC's instructions, I removed the battery for 30 seconds, powered the phone down daily, performed a hard reset.  They suggested removing all apps and reinstalling them one at a time and seeing if one app set it off, but who's got that kind of time?  I bought my phone at Best Buy so Monday after a miserable day with quite a few "comas" I drove back to Amarillo to exchange it for another Design.  At that time I hadn't heard anyone else having the same problem and HTC didn't have it as a known issue, so I assumed it was isolated to my particular phone.  So far with the new unit it may have happened once on Tuesday, but it was over so quickly and back awake I'm not sure it went to sleep or just something I did that made it feel that way.  On Tuesday I checked for updates and there was a software update available, no firmware as of yet.  Downloaded the update and so far so good.  The original phone didn't start the craziness until I'd had it for almost a week, so I'm holding my breath.  Best Buy has assured me I can return this one if the same problem occurs.  I'll let you know here.  My best advice to SloganKY is to call HTC and get this on record as a known issue with them, that you have 3 phones doing the same thing, and hopefully they'll actually spend a little time on it and figure out a fix.  Also make sure you get the software updates done.  You may also consider taking all 3 phones back to Sprint and asking them, making it known to them too in case they don't know yet there's a problem.  I know the model is new, but from all I've heard HTC has a decent track record and this is supposed to be their best phone so far, having resolved glitches from the older models. This phone is awesome when it's awake and I'm certainly hoping the problem is solved with the software update. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having same issue and despite all my best efforts to get it resolved with Sprint, the only thing they are offering is to replace it with refurbished phone. I have never had such issues with a phone or with Sprint in the past. I brought it into Sprint 2 weeks to the day it was purchased and I was basically told "sorry, it is day 15"!! I was directed to a Sprint service center and told the same thing. I tried calling support at Sprint and again was told the same thing. I can't believe I'm going to have to end up with a refurbished phone with potential to have the same issue. I hope that HTC does do a software upgrade (like yesterday!) to address the issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Since I did the last software update last Tuesday, 12/20, my phone's been behaving well.  Still crossing everything I can in hopes it will keep on.  Please go to Settings, then System Updates, then HTC software updates, then Check Now.  No need to settle for a refurb when this is all it may take.  I'd love to hear how this works out for anyone else. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

My daughter has the same issue with her EVO Design 4G.  If she ends a call (that she's received) and then turns the screen off (via power button), then she can't get the screen to wake back up.

The only fix we have so far (besides pulling the battery) is for her to connect a power source to the phone.  The screen wakes up when the power source is connected.

Highlighted
Journeyman

That is exactly how mine is behaving and the Sprint service center said they have not received any complaints on these devices. They didn't even attempt to address the issue other than offering a refurbished phone. With these comments here, I'm afraid the refurbished phone will be no better.

Highlighted
Journeyman

To all with this issue: I read online that if you applied a screen protector, it may cover the proximity sensor that is located in the black zone just above the lighted area of the display. I inquired at the service center if this could be the issue and I was told the proximity sensor senses heat and moisture and the screen protector should not interfere??!! That doesn't make sense to me since it is continously covered by the screen protector. Unfortunately, I can't test this suggestion since my phone had to be deactivated and my old phone reactivated while out of town for the holidays. It certainly would be worth a try...let me know if this works for any of you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Removed the screen protector on my daughter's phone and it seems to have solved the issue in that we're not able to re-create it.  I'll post an update after we've had more time with it.

By the way, the screen protector we had on there was pretty thick - it's the EMPIRE Screen Protector.  I'm wondering if having a thinner screen protector might solve the problem.  We were going to replace that screen protector as it was too reflective anyways.  So we'll be trying the one from skinomi next.

Highlighted
Journeyman

FYI, I contacted HTC regarding this issue as well and like Sprint they said it is not a "known issue".   They said this meant it's not in their database.  So maybe if more of us call them, they'll eventually put it in their database and put some energy into fixing the issue.   HTC can be reached at 866-449-8358.

In the mean time, HTC advised that we do a factory reset of the phone using the hardware keys (see 2nd set of instructions below):

From: http://www.htc.com/us/support/evodesign4g-sprint/help/general-and-other

Important: A factory reset restores your phone to the original factory settings and may erase all downloaded content, including ringtones, images, programs, and contacts stored in the internal memory. It does not erase data stored on the SIM card, and will only erase data on the memory card if the option is selected. After performing a factory reset, you will need to go through the set up process and sign in to all of your accounts again.

1. From the Home screen, press the Menu key.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Tap and slide the menu upward.
  4. Tap SD & phone storage.
  5. Tap Factory data reset.
  6. Verify that Erase SD card is NOT checked, unless you wish to delete this data as well.
  7. Tap Reset phone.
  8. Tap Erase everything.

If the phone is locking up consistently or generally unusable, you may perform a factory reset using the hardware keys.

1. With the phone turned off, press and hold the Volume Down key and Power key for 10 seconds.
    • If the Fast Boot option is disabled (enabled by default), you will only need to hold down the Volume Down key and briefly press the Power key.
  2. Wait for the screen with the 3 Android images to appear, and then release the Volume Down key.
  3. Press Volume Down to select FACTORY RESET, and then press Power.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Has anyone done the software update that I suggested on 12/28?  Please, please, please give it a try. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat