cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why won't my HTC EVO Design 4G wake up? And what puts it to deep sleep?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Why won't my HTC EVO Design 4G wake up? And what puts it to deep sleep?

3 times in the past 24 hours I've gone to wake up my HTC EVO Design 4G phone using the power button and it won't wake up.  It's not that it's turned itself off - more like a deep sleep.  It will have a good charge on it already, but the only way I can get it to wake up is to plug it in again which isn't very convenient.  Has this happened to anyone else?  Any ideas on how to wake the phone up when this happens without plugging in?  Or what setting to change to make it stop?  Thanks! 

29 REPLIES 29
Highlighted
Journeyman

I just trimmed about a quarter inch of the screen protector at the top edge so that it still covers the entire screen except for the black area above the main display. The sensors are located at the top edge of that black area. You can see them when you tilt the phone back and forth.

I went to a different service center yesterday and got the phone reactivated. The technician said she has not had anyone report this issue but it made sense to try trimming the screen protector. It has been working fine ever since and she thinks that may have solved the problem. I also read where some cases may cover part of the sensor and cause the same issues.

I have not tried a factory reset since everything else was working fine. My only issue was the screen going black when in a call then not waking up when I move the phone away from my ear. It stayed black until plugging into a power source (not so great for working "in the field"). I will continue to observe the behavior of the phone over the next few days and report back.

Thanks for the phone number for HTC, I will definitely call to report this issue!

Highlighted
Journeyman

JOYOJOY, checked using the process you outlined and there's no software update for my daughter's phone (beyond a twitter update).  Which makes sense - we activated her phone on Christmas day and I think we did a software update on that day.  This is the info on the "about phone" screen:

• Android version: 2.3.4
  • HTC Sense version: 3.0
  • Software number 1.19.651.1
Highlighted
Journeyman

David,  Hmm.  Curiouser and curiouser.  Those are the same as on my phone.  I did my software update on 12/20, the day after I got the replacement phone and it had gone stupid once that morning.  Since then I've tried to force it to do it again.  I purposely let the other person hang up first, I miss calls, I make calls and hang up before they've answered, and it comes right back on.  One thing I did with the old phone that might have worked (but the phenomenon was so hit and miss it's hard to tell) was to change the display setting so it never turns off on its own.  The period of time that I did this the phone didn't fall into its coma, but not sure if related to the display settings or just coincidental.  Have your daughter give it a try.  She'll just have to remember to use the power button to turn the phone off each time, but that may be a small price to pay for a phone that works when you need it? 

About the screen protectors, I also have an Empire brand but it's not a mirrored one, just the basic ones from Amazon at 3/$6.01. 

For everyone, keep calling HTC until we get their attention.  Sprint will advise removing the battery and resetting the phone, but HTC makes the phone and will be the ones to issue software updates.  What they don't know about they can't fix, right?  Burn up their lines! 

866-449-8358

(North America)

6 a.m. to 1 a.m. Eastern Time (every day)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Those are the same settings on my phone as well. I will definitely contact HTC.I agree we need to get their attention!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I called HTC and requested them to log this problem. They did and transferred me to tech support. I asked them to log the problem and I told them about this thread with other users having same issue. They logged my comments and assigned me a  ticket number.  The tech encouraged that we all call in and create tickets on the issue. 

Happy New Year. Hoping we all have success with our new phones in 2012!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I purchased an HTC design in November and have been struggling with this problem. Of course, I only started having this problem after the 2 week trial period from sprint was over. I didn't think that this problem would've been correlated with the screen protector. I still don't understand why this was happening, I had already done the updates and that hadn't helped. I found this thread, trimmed the screen protector a la advice of jesson02 (thank you very much) and now it seems to work fine. I will post again after i have time to test it further.

To be specific, the problem I had that was fixed was this: the screen turned black after the other person on a phone call (who called me) end the call first. I could still recieve phone calls, and if i plugged it in any programs running were still running. So it was not a crash, just a screen conflict or something. I also noticed that before the fix, the screen would turn black soon after (<1 sec) I answered an incoming call. After the fix, the screen stays on after answering an incoming call.

Thanks!!

NTB

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've got the same problem.  I received my phone on New Year's Eve.  I don't have a screen protector on it.  Hmmmm... Guess I call HTC tomorrow.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If I had seen this thread sooner I would have suggested the Screen Protector issue to you all. This is a problem that is common with many proximity sensor phones. We had a similar problem with the LG Optimus M on MetroPCS. The stock protector included free with the phone and replacements sold directly by them have cutouts for the sensor. Others did not and gave hundreds of users problems before it was figured out. Familiar with this problem, I purposely sought out a screen protector that already had the proximity sensor area cut out for my EVO Design 4G. The only protector I found with an area precut for the sensor was the ZAGG Invisible Shield. All others I found were generic and covered the entire screen. Hopefully most of you guys will find peace with the phone after altering or changing your screen protector.

Highlighted
Journeyman

We'll, I called in to report the same problem on my phone.  Meanwhile, I'll be trying the factory reset tonight.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok, I've been analyzing this issue I've just begun having with my 1 week old Evo  Design.  I bought the Sprint Universal Device Screen Protectors with  the phone and applied one the day after I got it.  Now, I don't know  exactly when this started (as I really didn't use the phone for calls  over the next few days), but just a couple days ago, I noticed that the  screen was off, and even thought the phone was still on, the power  button would not turn the screen back on.  I finally plugged the phone  into the wall to get the screen to turn on.

After a while of trying to replicate the problem (using *4 as a  number to call repeatedly), I am able to consistently observe this occurrence.  With the screen protector in place and a number called, the screen will turn off without the phone being held near the face ("<1 sec" after dialing, as mcescher mentioned above).  Shaking or tilting the phone will not get the screen  to turn back on.  Pressing the power button (during the call) will  momentarily turn the screen back on, but if the call is ended, the  screen will turn off again, leaving the phone unusable unless you plug  it in or remove the screen protector (or remove the battery, I  suppose).  Interestingly, I noticed that after turning on the screen  this way (plugging phone in), there is still a tiny red light flashing  at the top of the screen (the black part, near the HTC logo), which I assume has to do with the way the phone senses if it is being held near your face; and this light continues to flash even after the phone is entirely turned off.  During the next call made, the screen will not turn off when the phone is held near your face, but when the call is ended, the sensor turns off, and the screen remains on.

I  assumed this problem did not necessarily have to do with the screen  protector, as a comment above indicated this was happening on a phone  while no screen protector was being used, but today I decided to remove  it just to check. . .  With the screen protector removed (or even  shifted down, so as not to cover the entire top of the screen), the  phone appears to behave just like the user manual describes it should.   The screen turns off during a call as long as the phone is held near  your face; it will turn on again -- and remain on -- when the phone is  taken away from your face.

Currently, I remain convinced that the screen protectors are the cause of this problem.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Since trimming my screen protector I have not had any further issues with black screen. The phone has functioned as it is described to do with proximity sensor.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you all for helping me sort this out. I had visited the Sprint store to do a factory reset earlier today (and also update the HTC software) and was still having the same problem. I also called HTC to let them know I was having the same issue. After I got off the phone I trimmed the screen protector and the proximity sensor now appears to function as intended. Fingers crossed! Thanks again.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat