Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10/25 - HTC EVO Shift Software Update - 2.76.651.6

Wizard

10/25 - HTC EVO Shift Software Update - 2.76.651.6

HTC EVO Shift Software Update - 2.76.651.6

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Security Update

Important Notes:

- The new software version is: 2.76.651.6

- The customer may initiate the update beginning 10/25 or wait until notifications begin being sent to devices on 10/27

- Refer to the HTC EVO Shift Software Updates blog for install instructions 

- Updates may be released in stages. When checking for the update, you may receive a message that no update is available,   

check back later or wait until the update notification is sent to your device  

28 REPLIES 28
Journeyman

I wonder why it is that some of the Evo shifts have so many problems after installing the Gingerbread updates, and others do not???? I put it off for so long, and then went through all the updates. Everything is working great, and I real like the speed and longer battery life.

Wizard

BekkaSF,

I think the issue receiving the most activity on the Shift is the HTC Sense reloading, which is related to memory management and you'll see people who maintain a good amount of extra memory don't have the HTC sense issue very often if at all so it's not an issue for those people.

Journeyman

"Memory Management" pshhhh.  This phone was released in 2011 and came with something like 700MB of internal storage, a complete joke in itself.  Every other HTC android phone released in the last year or two has multiple Gigs of internal storage.  So after all the preloaded junk I was actually left with 450MB of space to work with for apps, any data, test messages, friend stream updates, contacts storage, phone dialer storage, anything internal data wise.  What do they expect designed such an interactive and data heavy phone, it took literally 6 months before I was getting the low phone storage (below 50MB) symbols and warning showing up.  And yes this causes the phone to act irradically in some ways, always reloading, if u get below 50MB it wont do updates on friend stream (I discovered this) most likely to protect itself from slowing down with more data storage being used, etc etc.  Its a complete joke.  HTV Evo 3D released 6 Months after the HTC Evo Shift had something like 5x the amount of Internal Storage....WTF is that garbage!!!

Wizard

JOEYNACH19 wrote:

"Memory Management" pshhhh.  This phone was released in 2011 and came with something like 700MB of internal storage, a complete joke in itself.  Every other HTC android phone released in the last year or two has multiple Gigs of internal storage.  So after all the preloaded junk I was actually left with 450MB of space to work with for apps, any data, test messages, friend stream updates, contacts storage, phone dialer storage, anything internal data wise.  What do they expect designed such an interactive and data heavy phone, it took literally 6 months before I was getting the low phone storage (below 50MB) symbols and warning showing up.  And yes this causes the phone to act irradically in some ways, always reloading, if u get below 50MB it wont do updates on friend stream (I discovered this) most likely to protect itself from slowing down with more data storage being used, etc etc.  Its a complete joke.  HTV Evo 3D released 6 Months after the HTC Evo Shift had something like 5x the amount of Internal Storage....*** is that garbage!!!

According to the HTC Shift website, the Shift has 512 MB of internal RAM.

Internal MemoryROM: 2 GB eMMC,RAM: 512 MB

(http://www.htc.com/us/products/shift-sprint/#tech-specs  )

Of that 512 MB of internal RAM, mine shows 432 MB is available to the user.  I have 205 MB used and 227 MB free...and I have thousands of text messages stored (taking in total less than 1 MB of internal memory).  I currently show 44 applications using some amount of internal memory, out of 81 apps in my "all apps" list..  Somehow, my phone seems to function just fine.  Have you tried deleting some of your 6-month old data, like phone call history, un-needed text messages, apps you downloaded but never used, etc?  It also might help to backup all your apps and data (mybackuppro, a market app, works well for this), then do a factory reset and reload your apps and data.

My numbers above reflect all my apps being stored in the internal memory.  However, you can go to Menu>Settings>Manage Applications, and tap on each application and see if you can move the app to your SD card; there is a button that says "Move to SD card" that is lit if the app was written to allow doing so.  In that same screen, the amount of memory used by that app for data and cache are separately reported; if either of those look excessive, you can tap the "Clear data" or "Clear Cache" buttons.

Hopefully something above will help your memory management.

Journeyman

So here is break down.  Same start 512MB of RAM, mine shows 431  available to user (a joke in itself that I lose to 20% of my storage to  pre-loaded garbage).  I have 375MB used and 56MB Free and I just cleared  FB and twitter to get it up from 45MB free.

Contacts: 47.77MB (all data) (Internal)

Miren Browser: 23.86 MB (22.48MB data) (External)

Maps: 11.57MB (1.78MB Data) (Internal)

Mail: 11.16MB (all data) (Internal)

Dialer Storage: 10.33MB (all data) (Internal)

Handcent SMS: 9.05MB (3.39MB data) (Internal)

PowerAmp: 7.95MB (3.94MB data) (Internal)

Fantasy 11': 7.34 MB (2.53Mb data) (Internal)

Slingplayer: 7.05MB (44KB data) Internal

HTC Sense: 6.21MB (all data) (Internal)

NFL Wallpapers: 6.09MB (all app) (Internal)

NFL 11: 2.32MB (1.44MB data) (External)

NBA GameTime: 5.24MB (12KB data) (Internal)

Google Reader: 5.07 MB (1.88MB data) (internal)

QuickOffice: 5.07 MB (8KB data) (Internal)

Facebook 4.62MB (2.65MB data) (Internal)

Google Services Framework: 4.35MB (3.19MB data) (Internal)

Gmail: 3.98 MB (1.69 MB Data) (Internal)

Google Voice: 3.86MB (152KB data) (Internal)

AppBrain App Market: 3.83MB (2.68MB data) (External)

Radio.com: 3.75MB (1.09MB data) (Internal)

Astro: 3.59MB (0.96 MB Data) (External)

ESPN ScoreCenter: 3.49MB (1.54MB) (Internal)

WeatherChannel: 3.41MB (1.34MB) (Internal)

Open Sense Plugin Manager: 3.23MB (all data) (Internal)

Media Storage: 3.23MB (all data) (Internal)

Southwest App: 3.21MB (80KB data) (Internal)

MLB At Bat 11': 3.20MB (1.37MB) (Internal)

Pandora: 3.19MB (1.79MB) (External)

Live Scores: 3.16MB (1.48MB) (External)

TuneIn Radio: 2.91MB (20KB data) (Internal)

In  addition I have another 30 small Apps or so behind this with 1MB to  2.5MB size.  So that accounts for another 60MB or so lets say, and those  are all internal storage.  Every app that I could move to external  storage I have already so that option is depleted.  Give my phone  another 4 weeks of facebook, twitter, friend stream, and regular app  usage (mainly sports) and it will be back below the 50MB threshhold and  the friend stream app will stop working again. I have already cleared  Handcent SMS a few weeks ago and tried to clear Dialer Storage, but It  wont let me, the clear data is greyed out there for some reason.  I keep  my inbox clean and only allow 2 weeks worth of emails with max size  25KB.  Every app that I DOWNLOADED I USE, there are som App that came  with the phone it wont let me unistall like Nascar, Sprint Live, Sprint  Zone, Kindle, Amazon MP3, etc, but all in all that probabaly accounts  for 5MB.  Thoughts?

Wizard

JOEYNACH19,

That list you've posted, is that under the ALL tab or the RUNNING tab. If you scroll to the bottom of the running tab at the bottom it will show a used and free number, what are you showing there? Also out of that list the contacts does seem to be a little high.

Wizard

I see two things that stand out in your list.  First, the Miren Browser is using 22 MB of data.  I don't have this app, so I can't say what the memory usage should be, but that seems to be a lot of data for a browser to store...perhaps clearing your browsing history and cookies may help. 

Second...your Contacts app is using 47 MB.  My Contacts app is using 2.91 MB for 361 contacts.  If you are using the same amount of memory on average as I am per contact, which may or may not be true, then your memory usage implies somewhere around 6,100 contacts.  If you have substantially fewer than 6,000 contacts, you might want to find out what is hogging that memory.  Do you have any high resolution picture files attached to your contacts?  It would only take a few, or even one, very large picture files, to blow up your memory usage.  If that is not the problem, I have read that unloading, clearing, and reloading your contacts will clear a generic Android Contacts bug that sometimes makes the Contacts memory grow beyond the normal amount.  I apologize for the amount of detail in the following, but other users with a similar problem, who do not have the same knowledge of the Android system as you appear to, may also need to follow along.  To try this:

• For safety turn off Auto Sync (Settings>Accounts and sync>Autosync unchecked) and make sure your contacts are synced to your gmail account
  • Open People app
  • press Menu>Import/Export>"Export to SD card"
  • export each of the contacts accounts (write down the export file names)
  • press Menu>Delete
  • press Menu>Select All
  • press Delete at the bottom of the screen
  • press OK
  • make sure you have no contacts (your own contact info may still show)
  • do a phone restart (hold down the power key until the "Power Options" menu pops up and press restart)
  • open People app
  • press Menu>ImportExport>"Import from SD card"
  • re-import each account, checking "Import one vcard file" and make sure you associate the correct file name with the correct account
  • if you use it, re-enable auto sync (Settings>Accounts and sync>Autosync checked)

If this does not help, then I would try a factory reset.  Make sure your apps and data are all backed up first.  I use mybackuppro from the market.  Then do your reset (Menu>Settings>SD and phone storage>Factory data reset) and then restore your backed up apps and data.

If that does not work you will need to look further.  For example, I do not use Facebook; it is possible that it adds substantially to the Contacts memory requirement.  I also do not use friend stream or twitter; could the Contacts integration of those apps be increasing the amount of memory used by the Contacts app?

Again, I hope something here turns out to be helpful.

Journeyman

The Miren Browser and its associated data is located on my SD card, I have moved everything I could do the SD card months ago.  I noted that when I made the list above by putting "External" in parenthesis.  Clearing that data wont free up any internal storage space.  In  terms of the contacts there may be something to that.  I have about the same number of contacts as you do.  I do have a good portion of them linked to Facebook or Twitter so that could account for extra data.  While I would be fine with using your method to clean up the contacts this line troubles me "re-import each account, checking "Import one vcard file" and make sure  you associate the correct file name with the correct account".  Is that saying I have associate the name with the account over 300 times, or just once for to set it to my account, I was confused.  Also why does sycning them to my Gmail account going to help me reduce data storage of the contacts, that doesnt make sense to me.  Thanks for the help.

Wizard

Sorry, I missed the "external" on your browser.  You only have to associate the vcard file with the correct account once per file and account; if you only have one google gmail account associated with your contacts, once will reload all 300 contacts. If some of your contacts were created as "Phone" instead of "Google" type, then you will have to also do the associate once for the Phone type contacts and vcard file. 

Syncing the contacts to your gmail account is under the "for safety" bullet point; if something goes drastically wrong with the import/export procedure, you can recover your contacts by re-syncing to the gmail account, but I am not sure if that carries all of your Facebook, Twitter, and Friend Stream integration.

You are using about 159 KB per contact; I am using about 8 KB per contact; this seems to be where the (or maybe "a") problem is.

Journeyman

Sounds good, thank you for all your help.

Wizard

One more thing...I just discovered that the "Move to SD" option only moves the application itself.  The data remains in internal memory. 

The numbers on your Miren app would make a good verification of this...if you move it back to the phone memory, does it only use an additional 1.5 MB?  If so, cleaning up your browser data should free up internal memory. 

Wizard

JOEYNACH19 wrote:

Sounds good, thank you for all your help.

You are welcome...I hope it helps.  Please come back here and post the results of your efforts.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat