cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6/16 - HTC EVO Shift Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (2.75.651.4)

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did the update on my phone and had an issue with twitter force closing and facebook not linking but all of that is fixed now. I am currently having an issue with memory space. My phone keeps telling me that I have low memory space I have deleted every single app off of my phone. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem. Also my exchange email keeps telling me to update my password and will not download my emails. Anyone else having this issue and know how to fix it? Please help it is very frustrating.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It is stuck on checking.  How long should I wait before I back out of this screen.....Help...................................................

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello TERROREYEZ6, I updated my wife's Evo Shift 4g this past weekend, apart from a few nuances in the os that had changed, she has had no trouble. readily admitting that she does not use Twitter, or Facebook, she does use Exchange (m.hotmail.com via exchange) with no trouble. for low memory you may want to assess the phone by first viewing how much memory is available (settings>sd card & phone storage at the bottom) if less than 40 MB free you may want to go to settings>applications>manage applications>all / menu>sort by size try clearing a few app's data and cache, like Browser, Maps, Gmail, and Market. remove unwanted messages from messaging, double check for installed applications, and if all else fails backup what's important and reset phone to factory default.  for your exchange server double check the credentials and remove/readd the account.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Ive been checking for my update all morning and it wont pop up. gtn discouraged.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I check every few minutes, but keep getting the same message that no updates are available. 

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Officially the update was released today, and will be pushed in waves. It may not be available for all users at first, it should be available soon.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi terrorreyez6,

I updated today and have had no issues with anything.

But one thing I did before upgrading was to delete my exchange account and then add it again after the update.

As for the memory space I would just check all the SD card settings, but since you've already deleted all your apps maybe a wipe of the phone might help.

It can be quicker than trying to trouble shoot every issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

With my phone upgraded to Gingerbread, whenever I exit out of an app (Messages, Angry Birds, Facebook, Browser, etc.) to get to the home screen, it takes a LOT longer than it did on Froyo. The moment I back out, I get the white screen with "HTC" logo (same as when booting up), then a "Loading..." pop-up. It takes about 15 seconds before I have access to the home screen EVERY time and it is quite frustrating.

Also, when I go to Messages > Compose message > Enter a new MDN in the "To" field > Tap "Attach" soft key > Select a picture or take a new one using Camera > return to message composition (done automatically after selecting picture), the picture attachment I selected is gone. I cannot the MMS from Messages; I need to go to my Gallery and send from there. This needs to be fixed.

Or is there some incompatibility issue with my software or hardware versions or provisioning file?

Hardware version: 0004

HTC Sense version: 2.1

Software number: 2.76.651.4

PRI Version: 1.52_003

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've avoided upgrading so far because of the Gingerbread issues Sprint-wide. The non-Shift Evo has the same problems, and a friend of mine with a G2 in Spain - definitely not Sprint - has the same problems on Gingerbread. It's broken.

Gingerbread symptoms:
* Generally slow performance, which causes the rest:
* Power button rarely turns the screen back on
* Camera does not work 90% of the time
* Touch screen barely responsive

Avoid.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The 2.3 update took over a week to reach me in the Phoenix metro area.  I am sure that these "waves" the OTA is releasing will also wait as long as possible for this area although I have yet to see anyone get it.  It is bad enough I pay for 4G but have to drive 6 hours to use it.  Phoenix is the sixth largest city yet we are always last to get anything.  Why do you hate Phoenix Sprint?  I also called two Sprint stores here and neither one had this stupid update.  So I am sure it will be several weeks before I can watch Netflix again or any of the other issues I have now.  I wish I would have known about all this before I upgraded but of course no warning.  Netflix is ready as the app is now back in the market for Evo but Sprint is twiddling their thumbs now.  I guess there is nothing I can do but wait for the OTA update to come to this market and in the mean time just be sad that my phone that used to work perfectly now won't do what I want it to do.  Thanks Sprint....You're the Bestest....NOT!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 6/16 - HTC EVO Shift Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (2.75.651.4)

I don't think anyone should make a blanket statement that Gingerbread is broken and tell people to avoid it. The "pure" Gingerbread experience comes from Google, and it's not possible to get this unless you have one of the Nexus line of phones.  Google releases the Android OS to the handset manufacturers (HTC in the case of the EVO Shift) who make their own tweaks & adjustments & install some of their own software & drivers to make it work with the handset.  The handset manufacturers then hand off their "tweaked" version of the OS to the carriers (Sprint in the case of the EVO Shift), who also make their own tweaks & adjustments & install some of their own software.  Testing is done by Google before releasing to the handset manufacturers, & the handset manufacturers & the carriers do their own testing...but even all that testing can miss some bugs.  Most of the bugs come from changes that the handset manufacturer and/or carrier have made to the OS.  But all this testing cannot take into account any applications that the end user has installed on their handset.  The end user may have applications (or versions of applications) installed that aren't completely compatible with Gingerbread, and this can cause a lot of issues.  Getting the application updated to work with the OS is the responsibility of the application publisher and not necessarily of Google, the handset manufacturer, or the carrier (unless one of those 3 are the publisher of the application)...and it's also the responsibility of the end user to check and see if any updates are available for any of their installed applications.

I was with AT&T before coming to Sprint and had a Nexus One.  I never had any problems with my Nexus One when it got updated to Gingerbread, and actually found several improvements after the update.  I updated my EVO Shift to Gingerbread as soon as the update was released the other day, and other than the Twitter problem that others were/are having I've had absolutely no problems at all with it.  My Twitter issue went away when I went into the Twitter app settings and cleared out the data, as others suggested worked for them.  My partner also has the EVO Shift on Sprint, and he experienced the issue with not being able to send text messages to some people that others have mentioned.  I didn't have that issue, but I also don't use the messaging app that comes with the phone.  I use Handcent for messaging, and have had no messaging issues.  My partner installed Handcent at my suggestion, and he is no longer having messaging issues since doing so.  This tells me that the included messaging app is broken.  The included messaging app is an HTC app, and is not what comes with a "pure" Gingerbread install.  I've noticed a bit of a battery life improvement since updating my Shift to Gingerbread.  They've also apparently fixed Bluetooth, which was screwed up in Froyo.  I have SYNC in my Ford Escape, and my Shift would CONSTANTLY disconnect from the SYNC Bluetooth connection.  I did a search on the issue, and found that it was due to HTC's Bluetooth implementation in Froyo.  Since updating my Shift to Gingerbread it hasn't disconnected from SYNC at all.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 6/16 - HTC EVO Shift Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (2.75.651.4)

I haven't had any issues as of yet, I updated this morning.

Loving the new notifications and quick serttings drop down menu. If your having issues try a erase and restore sometimes it can be more time efficent than trying to trouble shoot every little issue.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat