cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9230: Message Sent sent invalid number of digits. . .

Go to solution
Journeyman

I've been getting this message since last night. "9230: Message sent using invalid number of digits. Please resend using a 10 digit number or valid short code. Msg 2114"

I did have a contact saved without an area code, then I deleted it and resaved. Still not working?

Help!!

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Master

Delete both the contact, and the text message conversation with them. Then add the contact back with the area code. I've had this work every time I've done it.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Master

If the contact does not have an area code that would be the problem.   If it has 10 digits can you manually enter the digits and send the message if so there is a problem with that contact.

Highlighted
Master

Delete both the contact, and the text message conversation with them. Then add the contact back with the area code. I've had this work every time I've done it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Journeyman

I deleted the contact, then saved it again with the area code. I got the error again. SO what I have had to do is manually type the number each time to send the text. The contact is receiveing them that way. But I shoudlnt have to do that. And I can't even save the number from when he resonds.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Did you delete all conversations with them?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 9230: Message Sent sent invalid number of digits. . .

I have been chasing this same problem for 2+ months. I have spent numerous hours either in the Sprint store or on the phone with technical support. My phone is a Samsung EPIC.  Sprint has had me hard reset the phone numerous times, delete all my contacts and re-enter, delete all contacts out of my Google account and re-enter, stop the phone from syncing to google and they even replaced the phone.  Sprint has tried to blame Samsung, Google, etc., but never has taken accountability for what appears to be a problem on their network.  I had Verizon for 5 years and never had a problem, excellent customer service, etc.  Left Verizon only because they couldn't compete with Sprint's data offer.  It has been a nightmare for the 9 months we have been with Sprint. Sprint is extremely dissatisfying for a customer.  Today, I was back on the phone again today chasing the 9230 error code, message 2114 problem.  Definitely would not recommend Sprint to anyone and I can't wait to port our 4 phones back to Verizon...who cares about the competitive data plan Sprint offers....it's not worth the aggravation!!  If you are considering Sprint, run as fast as you can to another wireless provider.  In my opinion, Verizon is the clear winner in the wireless world...Sprint's customer care is horrendous.  Stop blaming everyone else for your problems, Sprint!  Hold yourself accountable for your lousy network and lack of service!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, I deleted everything, the text messages & the contact. Then I send the text manually. He responds. Then I save the number again once he responds. Then I go to send another text from the saved number and I get the error again.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sounds like a weird bug with HTC's Text Messaging app. I'd file a bug on htc.com about this with as clear a series of steps as possible. Imagine you're someone sitting in a lab with a brand new phone trying to get the same thing to happen on this separate phone sitting in front of you - write the steps in a way that would best get them the same result.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can't be an HTC problem, I'm having the same issue suddenly with the Samsung Epic Galaxy.  Tried all of the above, no use.  Must be a sprint issue.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

I have had this problem creep up from time to time in several versions of android, usually caused by the call log containing an entry in which the person's number had been dialed as 11 or 7 digits. in general if all of your contacts contain 10 digit mobile numbers you should only have to delete your call log, and the affected conversation. please let me know if you have a continued problem by Private Message.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

anyone figure it out same issue here epic 4g

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello FLETCLR, usually in this situation I ask customers to delete the contact, delete the sms conversation associated to that contact, and clear the call log, at that time I have them ask the person listed in that contact to send them an sms at that time to make sure the message shows 10 digit number (not 11 or 7) if it does readd the contact, and make sure when you call them always use the contact or dial as 10 digits

No longer working Community Response.
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat