Hi DRUSSROB, are you experiencing this problem now? I would imagine if you are that it's only happening with a few contacts if not just one. Have you deleted the contact, and deleted the conversation then ask the other party to send you a message? if so did their new message show 11, 10, or 7 digits?
Hello again, The Epic is a another matter, the Epic has a potential problem with the software which is being investigated. most people I have talked to using the Epic with this problem notice that while the conversation and contact had been deleted, new sms from the problematic recipient will show a 7 digit number instead of 10 digit, causing the problem when you reply, because the phone number has 7 instead of 10 digits. Sprint/HTC are planning to add a software correction to prevent this from happening in the next software release for Epic.
This thread is for HTC Evo shift users, If you are a Samsung Epic user this error 9230 may be related to a failure in the Android operating system, Samsung is working on integrating a patch for it in the next software release., many Epic users have found that if they delete the contact & sms conversation for the affected conversation, then clear the call log it is resolved. While others note after those steps when they are sent an sms from the person that they have trouble with the new sms shows from a seven digit number. Please see and post in this thread if you use an Epic
I have this same issue. My wifes phone works fine and basic texting works fine but anytime I try using a short code i get this. I have verified that the code is correct and used the same one on my previous providers without any issues at all. I have contacted Sprint to ensure that it isn't being blocked and still no luck. I have replaced the phone twice (once due to all my incoming calls being forwarded to 911 for some reason) and both reset methods (Sprint #code to reset programing and factory) numerous times. l really wish the techs would get this straightened out instead of just trying to say it is the other services.
If you still haven't gotten this fixed, the only way that I've found to fix it is to delete all previous threads with that person, then download a different messaging client. I personally use Handcent SMS. Disable the notifications for your stock messaging app (just so you don't get two notifications for every text) and then just use Handcent. It doesn't kick the area code out for those certain contacts. I never had the issue myself, I just prefer Handcent over the stock messaging app, but I did use it to fix the issue on Epics until they put some sort of patch out for the software. Just make sure to delete the older threads.
Here's a little hitch... I get this message whenever ANYBODY sends me VOICEMAIL! I'll get the VM, and simultaneously receive this text message... It's not just SMS related. And, of course, all my contacts have 10 digits...
After several calls with Sprint, resets, store visits, etc I decided to do a step by step elimination on my own, and I have not had the problem since then (several days). First off, I think there may be more than one issue going on; some people have trouble with the messaging app converting a 10-digit number to a 7-digit before sending it, and others receive the 9230 error message after receipt of every voicemail msg, without so much as having touched the phone. Also, some (like me) have 2-4 phones on Sprint (3 HTC Evo, one Samsung) but only one of them has the problem. Like for many others, the problem started for me around early October. I began my elimination process by backing up data then wiping the phone to factory reset (it may now no longer be necessary for you to do this). After wiping it, I started by going through google contacts on my computer and made sure every entry had a 10-digit number then I synced them back to the phone, after which I called my number from my husband's phone & left a voicemail without getting an error message. Because this was just the beginning of my process of elimination and may not have been my issue at all, I added back my apps, one by one, (from Market not backup). After loading each single app, I called my phone and left a voicemail then checked the phone. It went on like this without a hitch until I loaded Seek Droid back on; I left the usual voicemail and received the 9230 error message. I uninstalled the app, left another voicemail, no error message. Rather than stop there, I reloaded the remaining apps, one by one, calling my phone after each install. No other problems. As a last step I restored from backup the data to programs such as Simi Folder, Noteeverything, etc. calling my phone after each one, and everything has been fine. I have not yet again reinstalled Seek Droid. Because I had added no new apps before this problem started, it didn't occur to me any of them could be the cause. Afterward it clicked with me that, although I have had Seek Droid a long time on this phone without incident, it did have a couple of updates around the time this issue started and that Seek Droid is the only app I have with authority to send its own text messages. This was a very long process which should tell you something about my frustration level with this problem. I would suggest that you not wipe your phone yet but first wipe only your contacts, then check each one on your computer gmail account or other contacts program, sync them back onto the phone then call your phone and leave a voice msg. For some, who don't have any apps with permission to send its own text msgs, this may fix it. If not, I suggest you then delete any apps you have with permission to send text msgs, such as Seek Droid, along with their pertinent stored data. Try calling your phone and leaving a text msg; if everything is ok, add it (or them) back on one by one and call your phone leaving a voicemail after each install.