cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any luck Rooting this device?

Journeyman

Any luck Rooting this device?

I really could use a simple and straight-forward way to Root this phone...Any suggestions?

13 REPLIES 13
Wizard

Re: Any luck Rooting this device?

We normally keep the Sprint Community site free of rooting instructions since it can void your warranty. You may have better luck in a third party forum. Be careful!

-Donnie

Journeyman

I was able to root my plain ole EVO (after the warranty was up) without much trouble.

However, as Donnie says, it voids your warranty and if you mess up the process you can brick your phone, making it worthless.  I generally only do it on phones out of warranty or when I finally get bored enough..  the biggest reason for me was to remove Sprint's AOL like bloatware.

Highlighted
Journeyman

ahem... **cough cough** xda

Wizard

There are a number of things that can go wrong other than bricking the phone. When rooting my device, my WiMax key was lost and I've been unable to use 4G since. I haven't had the time or motivation to actually fix this pesky problem.

-Donnie

Journeyman

True.  I know a lot of the roms don't support WiMax, but the coverage for WiMax is so poor and it kills the battery so fast that never was a concern for me.  Now I have a LTE iPad on verizon, that includes hotspot so 😕

Journeyman

I agree totally. I happen to have a device that I could not care if I void that particular warrenty and I am no longer in a contract with Sprint. I asked that question because there is not alot of 411 out there regarding the SHIFT since it is a low end device. Learning the Android maybe useful, since I am I.T.

Journeyman

I was basically just taking a poll of Shift users and if they have Rooted their own Evo Shift  and their user experience  after the ROOT process... good, bad or indifferent. I did foresee some taboo regarding Root, and given how Google is not  "tight lipped about it's OS" can give user's the wrong sense of reality and ramifications, but we are adults and if I had a problem I would not come crying to Sprint to fix my Bricked device...I would gladly sign a waiver assuming all risks..."would'nt that be bliss" to us Powerusers out there!

Journeyman

There are fixes for losing WiMax keys

Journeyman

Root and S-Off are the first two things I do to a new phone. Never once had a problem. You won't find information here, but once again there are other sites that have that information.

Journeyman

true

Journeyman

what is the Make and model and carrier of your device(s)?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat