cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bluetooth contact transfer not working after 2.3

Journeyman

After the Gingerbread 2.3 update, my Evo Shift no longer transfers contacts via Bluetooth to my Pioneer X920BT nav receiver in my car. It worked fine on 2.2. I've since performed a factory reset on the phone and cleared the pairing on the head unit and re-paired with no success. I can use the phone and media functions over bluetooth fine. Anyone else having similar issues? It seems the update has caused this bug.

7 REPLIES 7
Master

Sorry to hear about that.  There was another post a little later after yours reporting issues with Bluetooth but for playing stereo music.  So your music is playing via bluetooth ok?  And we're tracking these issues since you've already done a factory reset.  Any updates will be posted in the EVO Shift forum. 

Tom

Journeyman

Tom,

Thanks for the response. I just resolved the problem by performing a factory reset on my receiver. Not sure if the upgrade triggered something to go haywire, but between resetting both the phone and receiver all is well with bluetooth contact transfers, handsfree and music.

I'd also like to note I'm experiencing the Sense restarts like everyone else here. Also, while texting with the physical keyboard using the stock messaging app, it will randomly scroll up to the first text in the thread. You either have to manually scoll all the way to the last text to finish typing, or back out and come back into the thread. Highly annoying and worse than the original 2.2 ROM where it would only slightly scroll up. Really hoping these two issues are resolved quickly!

Journeyman

Re: Bluetooth contact transfer not working after 2.3

I have the same problem! Ever since the OTA Gingerbread update, my EVO 4g will no longer sync my phonebook contacts with my BMW 328xi. This is killing me, since I average about 10-15 calls during my daily commute. Without the one-button voice dialing, getting in touch with clients is problematic (and dangerous!). I've been scouring the web looking for a solution. I've seen plenty of posts with other users not being able to sync contacts with their cars, but no solutions to the problem. Someone mentioned that the latest Gingerbread update changed something in the Bluetooth "stack", which broke the address book sync capability on many (but not all) recievers. I'm going to take my phone into a Sprint store and pray they can downgrade my phone back to Froyo so I can at least sync my contacts again.

Edit:

The only thing that I can tell is broken with Bluetooth is the contacts sync capability. So, my phone will pair and I can recieve calls and speak through the stereo reciever over bluetooth. But, without having my contacts sync'd, I can't do any voice dialing via Bluetooth because the contacts need to be in my car's address book for that to happen. If I manually navigate to to the car's address book, the message "Please Wait...." is displayed, but nothing ever happens. I've un-paired and re-paired my phone multiple times and preformed a factory reset twice.

Journeyman

I performed a factory reset on my phone, which did not solve the problem. It wasn't until I performed a reset of my receiver (which completely clears the Bluetooth memory) that I was able to get contacts to transfer again. I'd try resetting both devices (starting with the phone) and see if that fixes it. Good luck!

Journeyman

I  have the Evo Shift (Android 2.2) and an X920BT.  The Handsfree telephony Bluetooth stack on the phone became corrupt recently.   So this doesn't just happen to people with 2.3 on the phone.

Note: I have NOT upgraded the phone to Android 2.3 because of the reported issues.

In any case, I ended up doing a hard reset (factory reset) on the phone to fix the Bluetooth stack.  Sucks, because you have to backup all your voicemail, mail, apps, data, photos, etc. when you do a phone ahrd reset.

FYI, the Bluetooth stacks on both sides of the X920BT and Evo Shift combination  seem prone to becoming corrupt during pairing/unpairing and  connecting/disconnecting...for either the Handsfree Bluetooth connection  or the Audio only.   Even though it was the phone side that was corrupt, I tend to suspect Pioneer is the root cause of stuff like this.  Parrot did the Bluetooth software for the X-Series AVIC units, but Pioneer's integration and testing for their AVICs has been so crappy in the past -- especially for Bluetooth stuff -- that I'm sure it's their fault in some way.

UPDATE:  It now seems this problem can be caused by corrupt or duplicate contacts in one's phone. Try this:

Some people on other websites have  reported that this problem can be caused by corrupt or duplicate  contacts in one's phone, or by special characters or extra spaces in a contact's name. 

So, try this:

1. Delete the pairing between your car and the phone -- from BOTH of them

2.  Convert ALL your phone contacts to Google contacts. 

2 & 1/2.  Delete any special characters (e.g., asterisks) and extra spaces from all contact names (single spaces are ok, I think)

3. Then, backup your contacts to the SD card and also synch to Google

4.  Delete all contacts from BOTH your People app AND those that appear when you press the "Phone" button on the main HTC Sense home screen.   These are NOT necessarily all Google contacts and CAN cause this  problem.

5.  Delete your call history log.

6. Next, use the Gmail website's feature (under "Contacts"or whatever)  that lets you delete/merge/remove duplicate contacts from your Google  contacts

7. Next, resynch your contacts from Google TO your phone (they should now have the duplicates removed)

8. Repair the car and the phone and try again....allow it to access your   phone book the FIRST time, but don't choose "Always" accept just yet.

9. If it works, you now have a clue as to what the problem was.  You can  go back and redo the pairing later, choosing "Always" accept phone book  transfer after you determine if this was the issue

Note:   Personally, I'd also send a nasty e-mail to the Bluetooth consortium for  not enforcing more rigorous standards on their members.  For all its  vaunted progress, Bluetooth profile standards (e.g., the HFP, or  "hands-free profile") are far too lax and far too many manufacturers get  certified as properly programming these things when, in fact, there are  bugs like this rampant throughout the Bluetooth world.

Journeyman

Some people on other websites have reported that this problem can be caused by corrupt or duplicate contacts in one's phone, or sometimes by having special characters or extra spaces in a contact's name. 

So....Try this:

- Delete the pairing between your car and the phone -- from BOTH of them

- Convert ALL your phone contacts to Google contacts

- Delete any special characters (e.g., ampersands, asterisks, etc.) or double spaces in names (single spaces are ok, I think)

- Then, backup your contacts to the SD card and also synch to Google

- Next, use the Gmail website's feature (under "Contacts"or whatever) that lets you delete/merge/remove duplicate contacts from your Google contacts

- Next, resynch your contacts from Google TO your phone (they should now have the duplicates removed)

-  Repair the car and the phone and try again....allow it to access your  phone book the FIRST time, but don't choose "Always" accept just yet.

- If it works, you now have a clue as to what the problem was.  You can go back and redo the pairing later, choosing "Always" accept phone book transfer after you determine if this was the issue

Note:  Personally, I'd also send a nasty e-mail to the Bluetooth consortium for not enforcing more rigorous standards on their members.  For all its vaunted progress, Bluetooth profile standards (e.g., the HFP, or "hands-free profile") are far too lax and far too many manufacturers get certified as properly programming these things when, in fact, there are bugs like this rampant throughout the Bluetooth world.

Journeyman

I  have the Evo Shift (Android  2.2) and an X920BT.  The Handsfree telephony Bluetooth stack on the  phone became corrupt recently.   So this doesn't just happen to people  with 2.3 on the phone.

I ended up doing a hard reset (factory reset) on the phone to  fix the Bluetooth stack.  Sucks, because you have to backup all your  voicemail, mail, apps, data, photos, etc. when you do a phone hard  reset.

Also,  this problem can be caused by corrupt or duplicate contacts in one's phone. Try this:

Some  people on other websites have  reported that this problem can be caused  by corrupt or duplicate  contacts in one's phone, or by special  characters or extra spaces in a contact's name. 

So, try this:

1. Delete the pairing between your car and the phone -- from BOTH of them

2.  Convert ALL your phone contacts to Google contacts. 

2  & 1/2.  Delete any special characters (e.g., asterisks) and extra  spaces from all contact names (single spaces are ok, I think)

3. Then, backup your contacts to the SD card and also synch to Google

4.   Delete all contacts from BOTH your People app AND those that appear  when you press the "Phone" button on the main HTC Sense home screen.    These are NOT necessarily all Google contacts and CAN cause this   problem.

5.  Delete your call history log.

6. Next, use the  Gmail website's feature (under "Contacts"or whatever)  that lets you  delete/merge/remove duplicate contacts from your Google  contacts

7. Next, resynch your contacts from Google TO your phone (they should now have the duplicates removed)

8.  Repair the car and the phone and try again....allow it to access your    phone book the FIRST time, but don't choose "Always" accept just yet.

9.  If it works, you now have a clue as to what the problem was.  You can   go back and redo the pairing later, choosing "Always" accept phone book   transfer after you determine if this was the issue

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat