cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can only receive email when connected to wifi??

Highlighted
Journeyman

I went from a BB Curve to this phone and so I'm definitely still learning the ropes with this Android OS, but I'm wondering about my email (and even other data related things).

I can only receive my emails when my phone is hooked to wifi. This doesn't seem right at all. My BB could send and receive emails over the Sprint network regardless of wifi connection, and it's my understanding that that's how it's supposed to be - emails should come over "the network" regardless of wifi connectivity. Is this Shift handicapped in this way? Does it HAVE to have a wifi connection for data use?? My little weather info that's on the home screen is also always in a state of "weather data not available" so this is affecting the whole phone - not just email. It seems the only time I can receive my emails (or weather data or anything else for that matter) is when I'm here at home sitting in front of my own computer with the EVO connecting to my own wireless and really, why would I need it then?? I'm already at my own computer so the phone is of no use at that point.

I need to determine if this is a serious flaw in the EVO Shift or if this is operator error (<- likely) because if it's the former, then this phone is really nothing more than a toy to play games on and I need a dependable email enabled phone that actually works so I'll need to send this thing back and likely just stick to my BB, which certianly has many shortcomings, but actually USING it isn't one of them.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Can only receive email when connected to wifi??

It sounds like your phone may not be provisioned for data services or else you are not available to access your data from the sprint network.  When you have your WIFI turned off on EVO shift, do you see a 3G displayed on top of screen?  You are want to make sure that mobile network is connected.  You can find this by going to your home screen, menu settings, wireless and networks, mobile network(make sure you have a check on there).  After that try updating your profile.  You do thi by going to home screen, menu, settings, system updates, update profile.  After that see if you are able to access the web, check email and if the weather updates.

Journeyman

I'm thinking the same thing at this point - that there's something wrong with the ability to recieve 'data service' from Sprint. The things you mentioned trying I had actually tried prior to posting and for all: profile update, PRL update, HTC software update, and Firmware update, I got the same message of "...update could not be completed." so I'm taking the phone to the Sprint store tongiht and seeing what's going on.

Thanks for your help.

Journeyman

Make sure your 4G is off. When it shows 4G is on unless you know what you are doing it really isnt on and could interfere with your 3G service which is where you would be getting the service from. From that point I would check the email settings. I work for a internet hosting company and I know how the LITTLEST things can mess up the whole things for you on the email. I hope this info helps.

Best suggestions: Turn off 4G... doesnt work anyways

Then call your email provider and tell them you are setting up a brand new phone and need ALL the settings.

THEN call the HTC (Cause sprint is NO help at all) and have them tell you where to put in the settings. It is the easiest way to double check your settings and make sure they are all right.

Journeyman

Definitely specific to your phone/what you did to it. Take it to a Sprint store. I happily receive email and other data without connecting to wifi on both 3G and 4G on my Evo Shift.

Journeyman

Are you sure you're not roaming?  If you're roaming you'll have a little triangle next to the bars showing signal strength.  Data while roaming is turned off by default (at least it was on mine), so unless you go in and turn it on you won't be able to do anything that requires data while you're roaming.  This includes email, web browsing, the weather app, etc.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat