cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does any one know how to uninstall the preloaded apps.

Journeyman

I don't use a lot of them and Want them gone!

7 REPLIES 7
Wizard

Hi,

There is no way to remove the preloaded apps. I do apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Thank you,

----George

Journeyman

Re: Does any one know how to uninstall the preloaded apps.

Just to expound, they intentionally made it impossible to uninstall the default applications (likely because Sprint Care about THEIR OWN WANTS, NEEDS, DESIRES and LINING THEIR POCKETS). They prefer that you had less power over your own device, and want to maintain as much administrative control over your device as possible. Perhaps it is ironic that you got a response from "sprintcares" when in fact, they don't (unless it equates to their own lost revenue or control).

If you could uninstall applications, you would probably remove Carrier IQ, and that's unacceptable considering sprint prefers to LIMIT your rights over YOUR OWN PHONE!

what is it? http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/01/carrier-iq-what-it-is-what-it-isnt-and-what-you-need-to/

do you have it? http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/06/9247175-android-app-detects-carrier-iq

and yes, the shift has carrier iq.

Journeyman

Yes if anyone figures this out it would be great to know. I am so bummed I even "upgraded" to this phone. I could do a hell of a lot more with touch pro 2, and this mainly because I had space. Even with a 16gig card I am constantly out of space on the main drive. I have only downloaded apps that could be stored on the micro sd card. Even so the app still takes space on the hard drive. Because of these stupid apps I don't want.. primarly the football and nascar apps, I am unable to enjoy my phone.  They eat up too much memory, and my phone doesn't even have room to update. I have to decide, do I want my email or do I want to use facebook.. cause there isn't enough room for both. Thanks Sprint. For the first time in over 10 years... I am NOT happy with you and seriously considering leaving after this contract is up. Not just cause I am stuck with this phone, but because of how some other issues have been handled recently.

Wizard

love2perform,

How long have you had your device? Keep in mind that you have 14 days to return it should you not be satisfied with it.  Please understand that we do not actually manufacture the equipment.  If you're passed the 14-day return window and feel you still want another device, I would recommend looking into our Buyback Program.  Retail cost of equipment is very expensive, but if you have some old devices laying around, you can sell them back to us and it surely adds up.  The EVO SHIFT currently has a buyback value of $80 (prices are subject to change).

You can view the complete device list and their buyback value here: https://secure.sprintbuyback.com/cns/node/5

~ Nicholas

Sprint Social Media Care

Journeyman

Yes, you have to root the phone and install a custom ROM:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/385196

The guide I posted installs a basic ROM - although ROMs can install a lot of crazy experimental stuff, this one is pretty straight-forward - it's just the standard Sprint/HTC software without the Carrier IQ spyware, and with permanent root already done for you so there's no work to break out of the box.

Journeyman

Significant, recurring problems with the Sprint Evo Shift don't become apparent until two months later.  This is a subpar phone that has me missing my Palm Pre on a daily basis.

Journeyman

Funny, but those, the football and nascar apps, are the two I want to uninstall too.  Seriously - there is little enough room on these phones without giving us no way to unload apps we don't use.  If anything, they should offer a ROM that doesn't have them, or a way to disable them on the phone. 

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat