cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evo Shift 'Low On Space' bad design + bloatware + htc and sprint trying to hide on the matter

Journeyman

Evo Shift 'Low On Space' bad design + bloatware + htc and sprint trying to hide on the matter

who else has had enough?

did you know the htc evo shift for sprint has only 398 megs of internal memory, and once youve used the phone for 90 days , the normal data accumulation makes the phone essentially unable to function?

you can set aside your desire to have apps, and just delete them all

you can set aside your desire to have your messages accessable on your phone, like they have been with existing technology for the last 8 or so years

you can ignore the fact the every other android phone on the market has double that for internal memory

you can try and calm your fury at knowing that bloatware like amazon mp3 NASCAR and NFL are hogging that limited internal memory making tweetdeck or gmail or slacker not possible.

you can sense from both sprint and htc that they know theyve blown it on this issue and they have scripts to get their people to bury it and limit their liability

or we could assemble an organized onslaught of calls, emails, and requests for review updates from cnet, engadget, wired( i wrote them) etc until these two companies come clean on the issue

don't let a day go by without doing at least one thing that makes sprint and htc accountable until you have a functional bloatware free phone that matched the advertising they used to sell it to you.

11 REPLIES 11
Wizard

Your information may not be accurate...if that makes a difference to you.  According to the HTC Shift website, the Shift has

Internal MemoryROM: 2 GB eMMC,RAM: 512 MB

(http://www.htc.com/us/products/shift-sprint/#tech-specs  )

Of that 512 MB of internal RAM, mine shows 432 MB is available to the user.  I have 205 MB used and 227 MB free...and I have thousands of text messages (taking in total less than 1 MB of internal memory);  gmail works (I have not tried tweetdeck or slacker, whatever that is).  I currently show 44 applications using some amount of internal memory, out of 81 apps in my "all apps" list..  Somehow, my phone seems to function just fine.

Journeyman

thanks for this insight.  ive received a call from htc saying that in the two months since the 2.3.3 gingerbread upgrade the internal mail program has been malfunctioning, as has the adobe flash program and using inordinate amounts of memory that causes the low memory warning

i migrated my mail away from the oem mail program and did a hard reset.  im getting a more normal level of function currently.

of course, the bloatware thing goes on unabated, and the theory that data accumulation ( as of a hard reset i now have zero text messages stored) takes a couple of months makes me not want to swing the pendulum the complete other way and call this matter closed.

the unit should have more memory, i feel like as long as its like this im forever 75 days away from another cycle of low on memory fractional utility.

but for now ive returned to a normal level of functionality and will see how it plays out.

interesting though, the htc people fix the problem on a complaint basis, so dont expect a patch.  the sprint people broke their own rule and didnt respond to my customer service inquiry, a recent rarity for them, and the big lesson that now that insurance is such a horrible deal at $100 deductible and everyone is dumping it, spring is paying people back by bundling the repair counter service with the insurance, no insurance, sprint wont even look at your phone at a repair center.

the 398 meg internal memory figure was given to me by the independant repair person, who might have calculated the net functional internal memore available at reset, which is probably the most accurate.

thanks for your observations

Journeyman

I am having the same problem. Now my phone wont even sync. I hate this.I have had to uninstall apps that I use just to keep some basics running. Very annoying.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Evo Shift 'Low On Space' bad design + bloatware + htc and sprint trying to hide on the matter

I'm acutely aware of this issue.  I've known for at least 4 months  that there was a problem with these phones, and it wasn't the lack of  internal space nearly as much as the fact that SOMETHING has been  systematically eating it up, outside of the visible space that the  operating system and apps take up.  Sure, I'd LOVE it if the phone had  at least 1GB of internal storge, preferably 2GB, but like I said, that  really isn't the problem.  I have VERY limited apps on my phone, and I  move all that can be moved with App2SD, yet I watch my phone go from  about 300+MB free after a reset and reinstalling all of my apps, to less  than 50MB free about 2 months later, time after time.  I don't text  much at all, I don't tweet, and I've tried troubleshooting every  possible scenario trying to figure out what was eating the space at an  insane average of 2 to 5 MB per DAY. 

I've done such things as not adding any email accounts except for  the required gmail account (which I don't actively use so it's VERY  small), not adding a FB account, not installing any 3rd party apps,  moving and not moving apps to the SD card, not adding any news widgets,  not adding the FB widget, not adding a twitter account, routinely clearing out my caches, etc. etc..  Anything that used data continuously I tried not installing or using it  to see if that app or widget was consuming space that it wasn't  reclaiming.  Nothing worked long term, and I've now done about 4 factory resets to  my Evo Shift since I bought it in April.  Yeah, when I first bought it I did what everyone else did and installed a lot of apps, and it didn't  take long before I had a space issue just like everyone else, but I only did that ONCE and that's NOT the real problem with these phones. 

I'm still not 100% sure, but I now believe that what's going on  is that every time an app updates, it permanently eats up the amount of  space of that update and it cannot be reclaimed.  It may or not be all  apps that do this, again I'm not 100% sure.  We all know that most apps  have very frequent updates, sometimes once or twice a week, and when  you're talking about apps that are 5 or 10MB or more, it doesn't take  long at ALL to eat up 400MB of space. I'd love for people aware of this  issue to help troubleshoot the problem and post any information they  have about it.  In the meantime, I for one have turned off Auto Update  on ALL of my apps, and I only update them when there's a really major  update with new features or bug fixes that I REALLY need to have.  I  believe strongly enough that this is the problem that I recommend  everybody else do the same, but again, I'm still not 100% certain this  is what's causing the continous loss of space.

I'm amazed that more people haven't spoken out  about this yet, and have just chalked this whole thing up to people  installing too many apps on a phone that has too little space.  I'm  SICK of having to do factory resets on my phone and completely reinstalling  and reconfiguring everything once every couple months.  It's TOTALLY unacceptable and I KNOW that Sprint and HTC MUST be aware of the problem.  I figured for sure they would resolve it pretty quickly, but to date they still haven't done anything about it or even admitted there's a problem.

Journeyman

Re: Evo Shift 'Low On Space' bad design + bloatware + htc and sprint trying to hide on the matter

LOL android are terrible phones they are a total battery eating phones and also will be laggy. There will always be problems arise in android and yes iphone 4s too. I am glad i gotten windows phone 7.5 it is best OS and Fast and yes Stable. no problems with windows phone 7.5

Journeyman

wasbakntyme,

I would really like to know how you have all that memory left on your Shift with all those apps, email and text msgs.e I am obviously doing something wrong. I have tried everything and I still cannot get the "low-space" incon to go away. I have deleted apps that can't be moved to SD card and some that were on SD card and used some internal memory.

What exactly are you doing to keep that much memory free? I am always between 45 and 39MB of free space. I need help because my GMAIL no longer uploads when I have low memory and I run my business via my gmail account and its very handy to have that email when I am moving around.

Thanks a ton in advance!

Journeyman

You're screwed, just like all the rest of us.  Your only choice if you want your phone to start working properly again is to do a factory reset.  Make SURE you back up your necessary information (list of apps, your text msgs, your phone book if all your contacts aren't stored in your Google account, etc.), and be very careful not to let it format your memory card when it does the factory reset.  I've had to do so many of them since I bought my phone, I got complacent at doing them very fast, and somehow missed the option to NOT format the memory card during the reset.  Result, all of my backed up text msgs along with my apps list, gone forever.  Be prepared for about a 3 hour process to totally get your phone back to the way it was, but your phone will be functional within about 10 minutes.

Journeyman

the answer lies in the dysfunctional operating system update and how it allows some programs to hog memory.  those programs that im aware of are the resident email program and the adobe flash stuff.

i migrated my yahoo mail from the resident program to a yahoo app.  i turned off the resident email by deleting all email accounts there. (that doesnt delete email, which is stored at yahoo, etc, it just stops monitoring those accounts)  then i did a hard reset on the phone.

when i got done re installing my apps and changing the email treatment, i had no further problems.

one legacy item though is that i dont react to the 'updates available' notification ever. i just hit clear and dont let the bloatware or flash continually update themselves for fear that they will create the low on memory condition again.  i did have flash stop working eventually as it got more and more out of date, so i finally manually updated it.  but i still havent had any automatic updates self install.

i checked this morning, 45 days of data accumulation in, and im at 168 megs of internal memory available.  the phone is working as expected.  this fix came from a senior technician at htc, so they know they are causing this problem for all of these customers, but they refused to admit liability or take the phone back.

im relieved i will live out my upgrade qualifying period with a functional phone, but i will have a hard time giving money to companies that have mandated lying to their customers.  am i clear htc? am i clear sprint?

Journeyman

A custom ROM looks like the best answer from the research I've done, tbh. It voids the warranty, but then you can enjoy your phone the way you want it. HTC is unlocking bootloaders, so maybe sometime in the future it will be possible to remove some of this stuff.

Hmmm, will this comment be deleted, or will it stand?

Journeyman

I been loving my HTC Arrive windows phone 7.5 now with no problems. I dont have to worry about storage space because windows phone gives you free 25gigabyte cloud storage space. Which i will not have to use my smartphone memory storage space even thou i have 16 gigabyte internal which is enough. Also great about it i can uninstall bloatware on the phone. I use to have android and it gave me many problems and battery issues. Now i have a windows phone 7.5 which is Fast OS and great battery life that last for 2 days of heavy use. Help you just get a windows phone 7.5

Wizard

Gallis_Prosper wrote:

wasbakntyme,

I would really like to know how you have all that memory left on your Shift with all those apps, email and text msgs.e I am obviously doing something wrong. I have tried everything and I still cannot get the "low-space" incon to go away. I have deleted apps that can't be moved to SD card and some that were on SD card and used some internal memory.

What exactly are you doing to keep that much memory free? I am always between 45 and 39MB of free space. I need help because my GMAIL no longer uploads when I have low memory and I run my business via my gmail account and its very handy to have that email when I am moving around.

Thanks a ton in advance!

See the second page of the following thread for discussions and tips on possible memory problems:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/79614?start=15&tstart=0

Note that "move to SD" ONLY moves the app, NOT the associated data; so if you have a data problem, it can eat up your internal memory.  The person I was discussing memory with in the referred thread was using over 150KB of data per contact (which was probably his/her problem, but he/she did not come back and post the results), while I use about 8 KB of data per contact.  From what I have read, the "runaway memory" is an Android problem that can appear on any Android phone, not just the Shift.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat