ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO 4G as a wireless hot spot???

Journeyman

This question may have been answered in an earlier discussion, however I am too lazy to search the last several years of chats to find it.  I am considering buying an HTC EVO 4G.  If I am using the phone as a wireless hot spot for my laptop computer can I conduct a phone call at the same time?  During real customer use (not TV advertisements) is the 4G web connection a lot faster than 3G?

2 REPLIES 2
Journeyman

I have/had an EVO.  Yes, you can use the wireless hot spot for your computer.  Just to let you know, it may not be as fast as if you had a cable connection.  You can conduct a call and have it loading at the same time.  I've done this before.  The only thing I found you really can't do with it on is use flash while taking a picture.  However, just be aware that it's going to eat up some battery life, so if you have it at home and you're using it for your laptop, maybe keep it charging.  As for the 4G, if you're in an area with really good coverage for 4G...it really is noticeably faster!  But if you're in an area where it fades in and out..it's slows everything down.  That's just my insight on it though. Remember, if you purchase it, you have to request to add the service to your plan for $30.00 a month and it is now going to be capped at 5GB.  With all of that being said, it has been a life saver for me when I've needed to check my email, get to the web, etc on my iPad.  I didn't purchase an iPad with a carrier, so I don't have the instant data, so I rely on my hotspot to provide me it! 

Journeyman

It depends.

If you're on 3G, and you make a phone call, the 3G connection drops.

4G is a separate antenna and related hardware (and network), and remains connected during a phone call.

So, if you have Hotspot running and make a call, it will drop if you're on 3G, and stay up if you're on 4G.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat