cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO Shift Crashing, Freezing & Sound/Call Issues

Highlighted
Journeyman

My Shift started having major issues a few days ago and I can't figure out what the problem is. It has all the current updates and I have tried pulling the battery to do a soft reset. i would like to try to avoid a hard resetor an inconvenient trip to the Sprint store if possible.

A few days ago, the first problem occurred - when I get an incoming call and answer it, I can hear the person talking, but they can't hear me. At first, I somehow managed to figure out that if I answered the call, then hit the speakerphone option, then switched back to the handset option, then magically it would start working again and the person could hear me. This worked for a day or two but now that trick has stopped working and I can't answer incoming calls. I have the same issue on outgoing calls too.

Then, starting last night, my phone would freeze on the locked home screen and I couldn't get it to unfreeze without pulling the battery. Today, it has been continually randomly freezing.  I was also able to get it to unfreeze a few times by sliding out the keyboard. But now neither of those tricks seems to be working on a consistent basis.

Is anyone else having issues with their Shift? HELP!!!!!!!!!

4 REPLIES 4
Journeyman

YES, I'm having major issues with this phone!  It freezes up constantly, the screen jumps around randomly opening apps and internet pages, and the touch screen won't work on the upper part of the phone.  I also have the most current updates.  I'm beginning to this this phone is just a piece of garbage!  An expensive one, at that:(  I've taken the battery out multiple times today and it hasn't fixed the problem.  Also, it will have a busy signal without even being on. . .have to take the battery completely out to get it to stop (turning it off won't even stop it).  It won't let me disconnect from calls either.  JUNK!

Journeyman

Re: HTC EVO Shift Crashing, Freezing & Sound/Call Issues

I am having similar issues as well.  There is no sound when calling or receiving a call, but the person on the other line can hear me.  The loud speaker, on the other hand, works fine.  I tried a soft reset and factory reset and the phone still doesn't work correctly.  This is my third EVO Shift.  The first was unable to receive a signal after a Sprint update.  I decided not to download any apps or browse the internet on the phone when I received the second one and it, too, stopped working after a Sprint update.   There was an over the air (OTA) update that I applied yesterday and, lo and behold, my phone is having issues again.  I have given HTC and Sprint more benefit of the doubt than they deserve.  The phone and/or Sprint updates are junk.

Journeyman

Re: HTC EVO Shift Crashing, Freezing & Sound/Call Issues

Was working fine until about a week ago, dropping calls etc, contacted CS last night got it working for a few minutes and auto hung up before off the phone with them, instructed to take to service center, they worked on it for an hour, and now it won't even connect to the sprint network. They did a Great job fixing it (yeah right) Now they are saying they can replace it for an additional charge, the thing isn't 5 months old, sounds like a Sprint server problem and not the PHONE

Journeyman

Well, it gets worse. After doing a full hard reset on the phone with no effect, and going to my Sprint store Monday to be told the technician won't be back until Wednesday, I went again today. The tech initially told me it was a simple fix - he would be able to just replace the top slider/screen and could even do it while I waited. He said it was a common problem that they have seen with the Shifts. But then when he opened up the phone and checked the wetness litmus sticker, there was a teeeeeensy tiny little pink spot on it. He said that even though the potential exposure to a tiny bit of moisture had nothing to do with the problems I was having, he wasn't allowed to do the 10 minute repairs and I would have to file an insurance claim, pay the $100 deductible, and they would ship me a "new" (yea, sure - more like refurbished) Shift. No thanks. The second phone on my account is almost on its last legs too, so I think we will just be cancelling our account and switching to a new carrier. If I have to pay out of pocket, I want a brand new phone with the latest technology and a company that cares about customer service (which Sprint used to!). It's a shame, because I've been with Sprint for over 10 years, but they just aren't bringing anything to the table anymore in terms of service, quality and network coverage.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat