cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Evo Shift going to get a software update anytime soon?

Highlighted

I am getting emails from the Android web site that the new Android 2.3 is out. I have been waiting on this for quite sometime now and just yesterday I get a e-mail saying that now they are about to release 2.4. Where the heck is my updates?

Also, does anyone know of a problem with the Shifts screen cracking real easy on any of the four corners? I have dropped my phone 1 time from a distance of two feet. ( it fell from my hoodie pocket.) At the time it was not cracked. ( I checked everywhere because I had only had the phone for about five minutes and I had already dropped it!) Two months later I was looking at it and I notices in the corner, opposite side where it hit when i dropped it, was a little tiny crack in the screen. Just wondering if this was something I did or this was a design flaw.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Journeyman

I've read in a couple different places that an update for both the EVO and EVO Shift will be coming out some time during the 2nd quarter of this year.  That would be sometime in April, May, or June.  I've also read that they're waiting for the new EVO 3D to be released first, and will then release the 2.3 update for EVO and EVO Shift after EVO 3D is released.  The EVO 3D will have 2.3 already on it when it's released.  The release date for EVO 3D is currently only listed as "this summer."

I've not heard of the glass on anyone's EVO Shift cracking, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened to anyone.  It's possible that your drop caused the glass to weaken or caused a crack too small for you to notice at that time, and then other things you did to the phone later on cracked it or made the crack big enough for you to see.  Something like that might be covered under insurance (if you have it) as accidental damage, but wouldn't be covered under the standard warranty.  If you have the insurance and filed a claim on the cracked glass you would have to pay a $100 deductible and your phone would be replaced with a refurbished phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Search for Android 2.3 features. They're not very exciting. I wouldn't worry about it. Android 2.2 (Froyo) was a really big deal, however.

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Is the Evo Shift going to get a software update anytime soon?

Not very exciting?

Performance enhancements, Sense II (from HTC), added features, better battery life, plus more. Thats worth the update and then some.

Kernel:

Android 2.2 – Linux Kernel 2.6.32

Android 2.3 – Linux Kernel 2.6.35

Networking:

Android  2.2 supports Bluetooth as well  as Wi-Fi. On top of these, Android 2.2  supports Wi-Fi hotspot  functionality that can connect 6 devices. In the  sense, you can use  Android 2.2 phone as a wireless broadband router.

Android 2.3(Gingerbread), in addition to all existing features, supports for NFC (Near Field Communication) which is a high speed data communication mechanism operates in high frequency within a short range (10 cm).

Communication:

In  addition to standard voice calling,  Android 2.3 supports for SIP audio  and video calling. If you have a good  3G or Wi-Fi connection and a SIP  account you can make internet calling.  It breaks the boundary of  regionalist concept and flies in the global  domain.

Power Management:

Power  Management is one the critical  tasks in these kind of Mobile operating  systems.  Even if you have all  these fancy features, if the battery  life of the device is couple of  hours, then there is no use in the  added features. Android 2.3 handles  it in a better way than Android  2.2. Here in 2.3 the OS manages the  applications and daemon application  which are running at the background  and closes the unnecessary  applications.

Android 2.2 (Froyo) supports the following features:

• Integration of Chrome’s V8 JavaScript engine into the Browser application
  • Advanced Microsoft Exchange support
  • Wi-Fi hotspot functionality
  • USB Tethering
  • Voice dialling and contact sharing over Bluetooth
  • Support for file upload fields in the Browser application
  • Animated GIFs supported in browser.
  • Adobe Flash 10.1 supported
  • Support for extra high DPI screens

Android  2.2 had two revisions. Android  2.2.1 was the first revision released  in May 2010. Android 2.2.1  included some improvements and bug fixes.  Improvements were mainly on  Gmail application and Exchange Active Sync.  It also received an update  to Twitter and refreshed weather widget.  Android 2.2.2 was released in  June 2010. It was released mainly to  address the email bug that randomly  forward the text messages in the  inbox. The email bug randomly select a  recipient from the contact list  and forward a random message in the  inbox on its own. This bug was  fixed with the Android 2.2.2 update.

Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) supports the following features in addition to existing 2.2 features:

• New user interface design with new themes (Black themes save power)
  • Extra Large Screen Size supported
  • SIP  Communication Supported (SIP Video  and Audio Calling, In an operator  point of view, this is feature will  decrease their voice calling  revenue where as user can call each other  for lower rates or even free  if they have good data connection)
  • Supports for NFC (High Frequency High Speech Data Transfer in short range)
  • Support for WebM/VP8 video playback, and AAC audio encoding
  • New audio effects such as reverb, equalization, headphone virtualization, and bass boost
  • Improved Copy and Paste functionality
  • Redesigned Multi Touch Software Keyboard
  • Audio, graphical, and input enhancements for game developers
  • New sensors support (i.e gyroscope)
  • Download manager for long running HTTP downloads
  • Enhanced support for native code
  • Improved power management and application control
  • Support for multiple cameras
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Is the Evo Shift going to get a software update anytime soon?

Good summary of the 2.3 features. Personally they put me to sleep.

* Sense II isn't part of Android 2.3 - Sense II is on top of Android, not part of it. Getting 2.3 doesn't imply getting Sense II.

* The Shift doesn't have an extra large screen or multiple cameras to support.

* The Shift uses an LCD screen, on which white themes use slightly less power than black themes. Black themes save power on OLED screens only, because each pixel is lit individually, rather than one backlight lighting everything and it being blocked or not as it is on an LCD on our phones.

And finally, if you think the SIP support is going to stay intact on its way out to Sprint users, you're nuts.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Now do you see why this isn't worth begging for?

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/300754

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat