cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with HTC EVO Shift 4G

Journeyman

Anyone else have the following problems with their EVO Shift 4G??:

1)while creating a text, the phone suddenly stops typing & the screen automatically reverts back to the very 1st message on that thread, then asks you to delete messages REGARDLESS of how many messages are already contained in that thread, & will not let you complete the text unless you've deleted a majority of the messages in the thread.

2)When exiting an app, the screen goes completely white with the letters "HTC" in the background & then goes into a "Loading" mode as it returns to the home screen...thus making the phone unusable for ~2 minutes.

3)Phone randomly goes into "Roaming" mode...even though I'm in an area with Sprint coverage. Never happens to my daughter's Sprint phone...just mine.

Before anyone suggests I download the latest software updates, don't worry...I have. Even verified with Sprint's website that I have the most current version....and I do. Also just updated my profile.

Any other suggestions? I'm beginning to hate this phone.

12 REPLIES 12
Master

I'm sorry it has been giving you trouble.  I know there is a software update coming soon for the Shift.  It is supposed to address the text messaging issue as well as HTC Sense reloading all the time.  About your phone constantly roaming though- I recommend that you visit a Sprint Service & Repair Center for that.  It shouldn't be roaming all the time.  And although most Sprint plans include a bit of roaming...it is certainly not unlimited.  So let's get to a Service & Repair Center to get the phone checked out. 

Thanks

-John

Wizard

Did you do a full factory reset after the software update?  If not, it could explain some of your problems.  Make sure everything is backed up and do the factory reset, then restore your settings (an app like MybackupPro can do the backup/restore).

Journeyman

I have a mitigated version of all those problems. Texts sometimes do go up to the first message in the thread, though not so much anymore after recent update. Splash screen still appears but only for a few seconds. I also had the roaming problem but i thought it was cause of the network upgrade sprint was doing, but if you are comparing your phone with anothers side by side i guess this does not apply in your case.Im glad to hear that there is finally gonna be a update for the flippin sense issue, it better come out pretty soon. if the update does not fix the issues i will try and use the PG06IMG file to revert to froyo.

Journeyman

1. Known issue, HTC bug, present in 2.2 before the update as well - maybe you just didn't notice it. The workaround is to get a text messaging app like Handcent from the Market.

2. Problem with 2.3. The Home screen is an app, and apps in Android are closed if they're taking up too much space while the app you're currently using needs more. The Home screen appears to use more Memory now, and so it's closed more often. The HTC logo and the spinning Loading message are caused by the Home screen app having exited. Workaround is to hold Home and switch between the 8 apps there.

3. This is a combination of Sprint service being terrible and the antenna in the Shift being at the lower-right. Right-handed people tend to block the signal with the natural way they hold the phone. Hold it with your left hand or in various creative awkward ways - your imagination is the limit.
Journeyman

Re: Issues with HTC EVO Shift 4G

How soon is this update coming?  My wife's Shift has been roaming all morning, while my Nexus has been fine.

Journeyman

Yes I have the same problem too. When composing a text message, the phone reverts to the first text in the conversation. This is so annoying. I've found that it is easier to exit the conversation (so the text I was typing is saved as a draft) then reenter. This saves me time from scrolling thru all the hundreds of text in the conversation.

Journeyman

Same problems here been through many cold resets and factory resets.  Redownloaded updates, still have same problems with or without the updates.

Plus whenever my phone is plugged into charger I can not use the touch screen, I can slide it open and use the keyboard but that does not access everything and is not very user friendly.

Journeyman

• I feel your pain along with others for this phone and Sprints unwillingness to do anything about it, I have had my phone replaced one and almost had them replacing it again until I realized its the phone and its Sprint. I have contacted my local Attorney Generals office and issued a complaint against both the phone maker and Sprint. In addition, I have found attorneys who are willing to take a class action lawsuit against Sprint with enough support. You will find me bouncing around in different forums for the Evo shift, letting people know of options we have. I was told in the begining by several Sprint reps, that the problems I was having were isolated and I was almost the only one who was having issues with the EVO shift, until I started doing my own research and looking at the blogs and discussion forums.. Sprint cares nothing about customers.. only their pockets.  Good Luck, in addition.. at least in the Charleston West Virginia area they are taking towers offline which on top of not even having a 4g experience I will be losing coverage, which I was told they are voiding their own contracts by doing so, if you can find out if this is happening in your area, then you will be able to use that against them to drop your contract, because when you sign up with them it says you will have certain coverage in all the places they have to provide, if they take towers offline then they void that contract!! I am urging all EVO shift "4g" users to end their contracts and show Sprint that we are unhappy and we want a fix to this issue now, not later... or we will find a company who has updates that work

Journeyman

porblem 1 got fixed for me after the update and problem 3 never happened for me. but problem 2 happens after every app i use. i emailed htc for weeks and they said it was because i was using market applications and that i should just use built in ones. i tried it and any app causes the white htc screen, not just market ones. camera, gallery, internet, people, flashlight. EVERYTHING causes it. and htc has no response to the issue

Journeyman

my htc is having an issue of when u text, it simply has an hour time difference from the person texting u... meaning my phone reads my time is 10:00 and shows the person texting sends it at 11:00 which puts all the texts in a weird order... is there a way to fix this? ive been through all the settings and i guess i must have overlooked something.. please help!

Highlighted
Wizard

schmittyballs222,

The HTC sense reloading issue that resulted from a new feature in Gingerbread flagging HTC Sense's program to be flagged when it's running in the background has been identified and will be addressed via a maintenance release.

LisLevi,

That issue has been reported and we're currently investigating it, I do know it affects multiple devices across multiple carriers though, there is an application you can download to fix the issue though called SMS Time Fix, it's free in the market.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat