cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Native email app on Droid started malfunctioning

Journeyman

This may not be the right place to report this so if someone can tell me where to post it, I would appreciate it.

I have a Droid phone - HTC 4G Shift. I've had it since July. I use the native mail app that came with it to read my mail (from yahoo.com). It worked fine for months but about a week or two ago I started having this problem. When I open some of the emails (about 20% of them), they open fine and I can read them but then when I scroll further into the message, suddenly the message text disappears (goes blank). The header part is still there (From, Subject, Date) but the entire message text is gone. Closing it and reopening it (the message or even the mail app) doesn't bring it back but if I move it to another folder, I can see it again. The message itself is really still intact - I can see it just fine in Yahoo's email app so it's just some weird kind of display bug - but I really prefer the native email app to the Yahoo email app and would like it to work right.

So where (on this website? In another forum? call someone?) would I put this?

6 REPLIES 6
Wizard

Gmw_on_sprint,

I'm sorry you are having problems with yahoo mail on the Shift. Do you know if this problem started after doing a software update? Can you check your software version? Menu-Settings-About Phone-Software information-Software number. Does it read 2.76.651.6?

-Lindsay

Journeyman

That is my current software version, yes. This may have started after a software update, I'm not really sure.

Just to be clear - it's the mail app that came with the phone talking to my account on Yahoo. It's not the Yahoo mail app that has the problem.

Wizard

The reason I brought up the software version is because there is a known issue with the 2.76.651.6 software update that affected the functionality of the Yahoo mail through the native app. The work around at this time is to use the Yahoo mail application. Yahoo mail is optimized on this device by upgrading to Yahoo Plus (It is $19.99 a year and does include many other advantages). Otherwise you will need to continue to use the Yahoo mail app you downloaded from the app market. I am very sorry for the inconvience, you may try moving the Yahoo mail application to your home screen for easier access. If you need any assistance setting up a shortcut or setting up Yahoo Plus please let me know! 

-Lindsay

Journeyman

Thank you for confirming that it's a known problem. I'm not going to pay $20 for Yahoo Plus. I'll just stick with the native email app and go to the Yahoo email app when I need to see an email that went blank. I can't replace my use of the native email app with the Yahoo email app because the latter isn't as well designed; it doesn't let you do anything with multiple emails such as mark multiple emails and then delete them. You have to open each and every email you want to delete.

Any idea when an update will come out that fixes this problem?

Wizard

There is not an estimated time of repair, but I will definitely keep you updated as information becomes available.

-Lindsay

Journeyman

I am also having the same problem on my EVO 3D. Have had no recent software updates (2.08.651.3) so this is not the cause. This needs to be addressed by Sprint and HTC (android?). I now suspect this to be a wide-spread issue that needs to be addresses ASAP

In advance, thank you Sprint, HTC, and Google (Droid) for your prompt attention to this issue.

3dkit

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat