cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plethora of ES4G Problems After 2.3 OTA Upgrade.

Highlighted
Journeyman

For starters, I love(d) my ES4G. So much better than my Moment (although we all know that's not saying much). I was stoked about the 2.3 upgrade, and everything was fine until the problems started. Since I upgraded:

I have no picture mail; incoming or outgoing. I did the usual power off and restart and power cycle by pulling the battery. No success. I spent an hour on the phone with Tawanda, who, aside from spending most of the conversation trying to upsell me on things I don't need, was about as useful as a screen door on a submarine for technical support. After my wasted hour, I did a factory wipe. After it booted up, I attempted PRL and profile updates, and tried to send a picture; no worky. I'm not inclined to have a 4 line everything plan with no picture mail, thanks.

Another problem is the HTC splash screen coming up when I close certain apps. It's almost like the UI is corrupted or something.

And yet another issue is my phone behaving like it's RAMed out. It was running slow, so I closed all apps, and attempted a Quadrant Standard; 810.

Unacceptable. I put up with enough poor treatment and excuses when I had my Moment, and I plan on making sure this gets fixed asap.

8 REPLIES 8
Wizard

Re: Plethora of ES4G Problems After 2.3 OTA Upgrade.

CALLOOKZERO,

I'm sorry you've had a poor experience after updating the software. Unfortunately there are a few known issues related to updating the software. For the first issue you're mentioning, we're currently investigating the issue and it appears to possibly be an issue on our side. Try these steps below and then retest it by sending a picture to yourself, so it goes from you to you.

- Go into messaging application, select menu, select settings, scroll down to MMS settings area, select connection settings, look for MMS Proxy and MMS Port and delete current settings.

As for the second issue, it's a software bug with HTC's Sense, HTC is aware of the issue and is working on an update soon to resolve the issue. There's also a work around for this that's been circulating on the forums which I will post below as well.

- Go to "Settings", then "Power", and disable/uncheck "Fast boot".

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Journeyman

That did work on the messaging, but the HTC splash still pops every now and again.

Thanks for the help.

Wizard

CALLOOKZERO,

You're welcome! As for the HTC sense still coming up, when you disabled the fastboot option did it reduce the amount of times it comes up at all?

Journeyman

I'm having several issues myself on my Evo Shift since the upgrade.  The most annoying is the HTC splash screen that keeps coming up. (Thanks to Shane_M for the workaround tip!)

Another issue is that I only have partial text messaging capability.  I can receive msgs from people but can't reply to some (or can't send an initial msg to some). It tries to send, but then the message doesn't go. I don't know what the common theme is for those that don't work, if there is any.

When I plug my phone into my PC to either Charge Only or use as a Disk Drive, it tries to do the HTC Sync every few minutes.

I also keep getting a Low Storage Space warning, even though I've been removing apps and clearing out space on the phone.

I was happy with the upgrade right after it happened, but has gradually deteriorated since then.

Brian

Wizard

THEYAMS1,

The text messaging issue sounds interesting, do you receive any error message or notification when the messages fail to send? Have you went through any troubleshooting by yourself or with us over the phone regarding the text messaging issues?

As for the HTC sync software trying to run every few minutes, there's an option on the HTC sync software to disable auto syncing, it sounds like that may be the issue since you mentioned you specifically selected charge only/disk drive options.

For the low storage space warning, have you tried going into your current applications and deleting/clearing the cache inside of them? Over time certain applications can store data/cache and become very huge in size due to this. If you go into Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage applications > Click ALL tab where it will display all of them and just start going in there and looking at the sizes.

Let me know the results, keeping an eye on this thread.

Journeyman

Thanks Shane. As for the text messaging, no I don't get any error messages when texts do not go through. The little animated clock spins for about a second and says "Sending message", but never goes and the message stays in the editing area.  I've tried troubleshooting myself, including cleaning out the "draft message" folder which was quite full.  I was able to send a new message to a friend that I wasn't able to before, but still can't send to some people.  Haven't tried to contact CS yet.

I did go in and unchecked the "Quick Boot" option and it seems to help only slightly. The splash page still comes up a lot.

I've been able to keep the Low storage warning away for a bit now, but thanks for the tip on checking the cache.

Never had an issue with the HTC Sync before, but I will try to check the autosync option.

Another thing I've noticed too is that my e-mail notifications seem to be extremely late. Not as prompt as they once were.  I checked the Update Schedule that still shows 15 minutes, but I sometimes don't get messages for several hours.

Thanks for your support!

Brian

Journeyman

I am also having an issue with the update, when i am sending a SMS message, when it gets over 160 characters it jumps to the top of the thread, (which in some cases is very long). it did not do this before hand. is there a work around or a setting to turn that off? it is getting to come to the point where i have come close to throwing the phone cause im getting annoyed with it. i have an htc shift.

Journeyman

Well, I solved my problems, but not really sure what caused the problem.  I ran an app killer on all apps running on my phone and then did a soft boot and it seems to have cleared up all of my problems!  No more splash page, text messages go through and I haven't had the low storage warning again.  Obviously something was stuck in memory and was totally hogging up resources.  But I never did find out what the cause was. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat