Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebooting for no apparent reason?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

I got my replacement ( probably refurbished 😕 ) HTC EVO Shift today from asurion after my last one was stolen. Let it charge all day, put my info in it, all that jazz. It's already at factory settings, so a reset won't fix this issue.

And what could ya know, I turn around, and it shuts off at random.

It's not like a regular shutdown either. It turns off, and it won't turn back on unless I manually flash the power (remove the battery) and then boot it. It does it about 4 times an hour, and to be frank, I've already been less than pleased with Sprint's service since I've split off onto my own line. If you can understand, I'd like to avoid going BACK to the store if I can.

Is there a patch, update, or any kind of at-home fix for the issue, or am I yet again to be dishearteningly let down by my cell phone provider?

Thanks for looking to help, any is very appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Journeyman

Already did that, as I stated above. It's been set to factory reset (i did this myself), and I installed no apps at all. Please pay attention to OP before you leave a comment. HOWEVER, the good news (if you wish to call it that) is that it was the battery. Asurion just sent me a bad battery. This just goes to show that not all problems require (or are in any relevance to) a factory reset. Once again though, I'm extremely displeased that I'd be sent something that doesn't work. If the product had been tested before it was shipped, then this issue would have been most indefinitely avoided. I guess I was just expecting too much of my provider when I hoped for a little more care in my service. Just one more letdown from sprint, and after the next two years, I'll probably be avoiding Sprint's infamous service.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Wizard

Does your phone have the latest software version?  If not, do the update and then a factory reset.  If your phone does have the latest software version, I would try the factory reset anyway.  If the refurbisher did a factory reset, then a software update, then sent the phone out, there was no factory reset after the software update, which could be causing problems.  What do you have to lose at this point besides the re-customization time, which you will have to do anyway if you get another replacement phone?

It is also possible that there is a conflict between apps or a bad app that you installed.  Try doing the factory reset, setting up your phone for the basics, then let it sit for a while and see if you get the problem without the apps installed.  If so, there is probably no need to go back to the store.  Contact Asurion and tell them the replacement phone is defective.  If not,  then install apps one at a time and see if and when the problem appears.  If the problem reappears, it would be best to do another factory reset to make sure that there are no remnants of the offending app, and don't re-install that offending app.

Highlighted
Journeyman

mine is doing the exact same thing Im glad to know that Im not the only one

Journeyman

Already did that, as I stated above. It's been set to factory reset (i did this myself), and I installed no apps at all. Please pay attention to OP before you leave a comment. HOWEVER, the good news (if you wish to call it that) is that it was the battery. Asurion just sent me a bad battery. This just goes to show that not all problems require (or are in any relevance to) a factory reset. Once again though, I'm extremely displeased that I'd be sent something that doesn't work. If the product had been tested before it was shipped, then this issue would have been most indefinitely avoided. I guess I was just expecting too much of my provider when I hoped for a little more care in my service. Just one more letdown from sprint, and after the next two years, I'll probably be avoiding Sprint's infamous service.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Rebooting for no apparent reason?

k3rrts wrote:

I got my replacement ( probably refurbished 😕 ) HTC EVO Shift today from asurion after my last one was stolen. Let it charge all day, put my info in it, all that jazz. It's already at factory settings, so a reset won't fix this issue.

k3rrts wrote:

Already did that, as I stated above. It's been set to factory reset

(i did this myself), and I installed no apps at all. Please pay

attention to OP before you leave a comment.

Maybe, instead of lecturing someone who takes their time to try to help, you should write more clearly.  You did not say in the original post that you did a reset, only that it was already at factory settings, which it would be as you received it from Asurion.  And "put all my info, all that jazz" implies that you installed your apps, as what else would "all that jazz" mean since you already said you put in all your info, which would normally mean your data.

I do not, and have never, worked for Sprint (or anybody else in the cell phone industry), but your anger at Sprint is misplaced.  Sprint contracts with Asurion to provide insurance; Asurion in turn contracts with refurbishers to prepare phones to use for replacements.  Sprint doesn't see those phones before they are shipped.  The tech who passed on your bad battery is thus twice removed from Sprint.  And Asurion provides insurance services to almost every cell phone service provider in the US, so you will probably have a great deal of trouble finding a provider contracting with a different insurance company.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat