cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shifts Gingerbread update: loading issues.

Journeyman

Re: Shifts Gingerbread update: loading issues.

Once I finished updating to GB I only needed a few widgets seing as how the ones I did use were relocated to the "quick settings" menu (4g, wifi, etc). Besides those (and the clock widget) I downloaded the "quick battery" widget which I always have on my main homescreen, an HTC "notes" widget, and the large calendar widget. I was using the metal skin at the time and had out a bunch of different apps, my own custom theme, and black wallpaper. 

I am now running golauncher as an interim solution. It does drain the battery a little faster but nothing that is unmanageable. I am suggesting others use it as well until this problem has been fixed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having the same problem. I loved my Shift before the update to gingerbread and now I can't stand using my phone. Anytime I run any programs and then click on the home screen I get the white HTC screen and  have to wait 10+ seconds for the homescreen to finish loading, almost makes the phone un-usable. I deleted all non-essential programs and eliminated any wallpapers etc... and I still have the problem...

Journeyman

I've since taken metal off the skin, and I've stopped having the loading problem. I'm using hte Slate skin, as is my wife, and she never had the loading problem. Could it be that simple?

Journeyman

While searching and playing with my phone, I found a fix that worked for me at  least so far. Go to settings, power and uncheck fast boot. Then restart the phone. After I did this 2 days ago, I haven't had the issue return. I love the Shift, but this issue kept getting worse, making the phone almost unusable. A total reset of the phone is a very last resort for me, so I've been trying for a week to find another answer. Please post your results if you try this fix.

Journeyman

i have also done this and it has worked so far. i also took off the metal skin for good measure. lets hope it lasts

Journeyman

nevermind. sense restarted right after i posted, unbelievably aggravating!

Journeyman

One common cause of the Home screen restarting like that is an out of memory issue. Heavy web browsing can cause this even back on 2.2. Are you opening a lot of tabs, or opening sites that are pretty heavy (lots of interactivity like Facebook)?

I've avoided the 2.3 update because of all the issues posted on this forum and I can get this same thing to happen by just pounding the web browser with big, massive webpages. You can even trigger it by visiting a page with a large enough (insane) background image.

Journeyman

I applied the fix above, unclicked fast boot in settings and restarted and it is working like a dream.

Journeyman

• I feel your pain along with others for this phone and Sprints unwillingness to do anything about it, I have had my phone replaced one and almost had them replacing it again until I realized its the phone and its Sprint. I have contacted my local Attorney Generals office and issued a complaint against both the phone maker and Sprint. In addition, I have found attorneys who are willing to take a class action lawsuit against Sprint with enough support. You will find me bouncing around in different forums for the Evo shift, letting people know of options we have. I was told in the begining by several Sprint reps, that the problems I was having were isolated and I was almost the only one who was having issues with the EVO shift, until I started doing my own research and looking at the blogs and discussion forums.. Sprint cares nothing about customers.. only their pockets.  Good Luck, in addition.. at least in the Charleston West Virginia area they are taking towers offline which on top of not even having a 4g experience I will be losing coverage, which I was told they are voiding their own contracts by doing so, if you can find out if this is happening in your area, then you will be able to use that against them to drop your contract, because when you sign up with them it says you will have certain coverage in all the places they have to provide, if they take towers offline then they void that contract!! I am urging all EVO shift "4g" users to end their contracts and show Sprint that we are unhappy and we want a fix to this issue now, not later... or we will find a company who has updates that work

Journeyman

like many of you i have this problem too. I.decided to change launchers and went with GO.  this fixes the problem without destroying the Sense feel.  i recommend trying it.  it doesnt change the fact that Spriny should fix rhe problem, but it does make the phone useable

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat