Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Update?

Journeyman

System Update?

Is an update to the Andriod 'Jelly Bean' in the works for our HTC Evo Shift phones? If so, does anyone know about when it will happen? If not, what's the reason for it not taking place. Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
Journeyman

Absolutely not....for three reasons: 

1.  The device is pretty much near the end of its product cycle as far as Sprint is concerned.

2.  The device is probably not even CAPABLE of running Android 4.X.

3.  If you read some of the discussion threads on this forum, you'll see that the phone already has SIGNIFICANT issues with Gingerbread (2.3).  There are two very lengthy discussions in here about all the problems people have been having with the phone since the update.  The major problem seems to be CONTINUAL resetting of the HTC "Sense" user interface software wrapper.

It's very hard to imagine this phone will EVER be able to run 4.X...although some of the hacks/mods/unofficial software versions out there might be possible to get working to some extent.

Unfortunately, HTC seems to do a very poor job upgrading "already fielded" devices with new versions of Android.  This trend started with the Hero, which had problems running anything later than what it was designed around (1.5) and has, apparently, continued with the Evo Shift.  I like HTC phones, but after the Hero and Evo Shift experience -- poor Android upgradability -- I've decided to switch to the Samsung models.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat