cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touch Screen Issues

Journeyman

Touch Screen Issues

Hello, okay, I have had my HTC Evo Shift for about a month now, and today, the touch screen started doing very strange things. The touch doesn't work some times, and other times, it does; the screen will start to move to the left or right for no reason with nothing touching it and sometimes the touch screen's reaction to touch is completely off to a different part of the screen. Sometimes it will also press random spots of the screen for no reason.

I have hard reset my phone and the problem is still here ((the whole hols the down volumn thing)). What should I do?

15 REPLIES
Master

Touch Screen Issues

Which method did you use to hard reset? The button reset is the preferred method.

Hard Reset on HTC Evo Shift 4G:

• •1.    Turn the power off. If the Evo Shift 4G is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it.
  • •2.    Press and hold volume down and power button.
  • •3.    When the device’s display turns on, release the volume down button and power buttons.
  • •4.    Use the volume buttons to select Factory Reset and press the power button.

Do you have a screen cover or have you recently changed covers?

Have you been to a store to have them test device? - you may have a software flaw in the ROM that a hard reset won't clear and a reflash or replacement may be needed.

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Journeyman

Touch Screen Issues

I have the same problem as him except that my power button doesn't even work. I have had mine since I think February of last year. I would get a new phone, but I cannot until next year. I dropped my phone a couple of times, but they weren't really hard falls.

Touch Screen Issues

uniqueen101, If the power button does not work as well there may be something wrong internally, I suggest taking your device to any one of the Sprint service and repair stores in your area. One can be located by clicking on this link, www.sprint.com/storelocator. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing you!

Journeyman

Touch Screen Issues

I do not have the insurance plan. Do you know how much I might have to pay?

Touch Screen Issues

uniqueen101, without TEP there will be a fee of $35.00 to have the device diagnosed for repair or replacement.

techsavvy101

Journeyman

Touch Screen Issues

I'm having the exact same issue, my screen will freeze and I can't do anything. I can't even unlock my phone. And when I slide out the qwerty board the screen goes completely off but the light for the home, menu, back and search buttons stay on. Also, I've noticed that when I charge it the light doesn't come on that its charging but it is because it shows on the screen it is. I had a Rant before this that also has a slide out.qwerty board and had issues with it as well. Going to sprint store today to diagnosis the issue.

Touch Screen Issues

Ajauker1974, we definitely want to get this in the hands of our store techs for a full diagnostic. Did you have the chance to take your device into the store today?

Journeyman

Touch Screen Issues

I also have been having the same problem on my handset, which I purchased on June 2. It has been doing it intermittently for the past few weeks, particularly freezing up when I was entering text, but also sometimes coming out of sleep. I had been having success by pulling the battery and using the fastboot method to get it going again. Tonight, however, an HTC system update was pushed to my handset. It downloaded and installed. After it installed and rebooted itself, the touchscreen was unresponsive. I tried my usual route to get it going again, and it wouldn't respond. I finally did a factory reset, and still nothing. Still frozen. The phone itself is "working", i.e., I can hear it ring, can see I am receiving txt messages, but I can't do anything about it as I cannot unlock the phone as the screen remains unresponsive even after the reset. I don't have TEP but am takiing it to the repair center tomorrow. Currently using a crappy old Palm Pre until this is resolved. Want a functional phone back! I loved this phone until the past month or so of this freezing starting up out of the blue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Touch Screen Issues

I've tried doing the hard reset mentioned above & cannot; when holding the power & volume buttons down it doesn't do anything.  I purchased my Evo Shift in Nov 2011, here are my current issues that started 4 days ago, all at the same time:

-When unlocking using the slide, it will randomly jump to my clock & ask me to add locations

-the main page/screen "wiggles" and won't do anything

-in Twitter, it freezes in the private messaging section will randomly starting moving from page to page

-in text messaging, it will also randomly moves from screen to screen

-in "people/contacts," it jumps around & will choose options such as calling when all I'm doing is hitting the "home" button.  I apologized to several people for my phone calling them at 5:30am the other day...I just could not stop the phone. 

Poltergeist anyone?

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.