Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Text Glitch on My Shift.

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

I just got this phone a few days ago and I have come upon what I believe to be a glitch. Anytime I start typing a text message (always through the keyboard) the screen will move up on its own, preventing me from seeing what I was just typing. I then have to take my finger and scroll the screen back down and click in the text box to begin typing again. Is this normal behavior or is their a setting in the phone I forgot to turn off/on?

Any help is appreciated.

28 REPLIES 28
Journeyman

I got my Shift last month and it is doing the exact same thing. So annoying since the main reason I got it was for the keyboard. I'm also dropping a ton of call in places that I never have before, and am having data roaming issues all over the place.

Journeyman

I am having the same texting issue. My phone has good service as long as I don't try to use 4G.

Journeyman

I also have the shift but I do not have this problem at all. This is my second one though my first shift had to be taken back within 30days cause of problems like that.

Journeyman

I can't reproduce this issue, can you be more specific?

Things I tried:

* Open Gmail Compose view with Shift closed, begin typing

: On-screen keyboard appears, which does push things up a bit.

* Switch to sideways with keyboard open

: Field stays where it was (not off-screen... no need to scroll up...) and typing from the physical keyboard doesn't change that.

Do you maybe mean when editing an existing long text field in a webpage or email draft?

Journeyman

SOOPAHMAN wrote:

I can't reproduce this issue, can you be more specific?

Things I tried:

* Open Gmail Compose view with Shift closed, begin typing

: On-screen keyboard appears, which does push things up a bit.

* Switch to sideways with keyboard open

: Field stays where it was (not off-screen... no need to scroll up...) and typing from the physical keyboard doesn't change that.

Do you maybe mean when editing an existing long text field in a webpage or email draft?

No, if I select to begin texting and I slide out the keyboard, as you type with the keyboard, the text area will begin to scroll downward. So far to the point that you can no longer see what you are typing and it stops you from entering anymore text. You have to take your finger and scroll the screen back up and  touch the text area to resume texting. This is only with the keyboard.

Journeyman

Exactly- mine continues to do this all the time. I am taking it back tonight in hopes of getting a replacement to see if that will fix all my issues.

Journeyman

The slide-out keyboard, right? Which app are you using when this happens? Is this when filling out text on specific web pages?

Does the slide down occur when you're in the middle of typing, after you've typed a certain amount, when you slide the keyboard out, when you touch the screen...? I have an HTC Evo Shift 4G and can't get this to happen. I suspect this is a real issue, but you and I are just using the phone differently, or on different sites.

Journeyman

It happens in the Messages app when I am replying to a text message using the slide out keyboard. After typing a couple of words it jumps up about 2 or 3 messages in the conversation stream and takes me off of the message I was working on replying to. I then have to scroll back down, and tap in the box next to the end of the last place where I was typing in order to continue. I actually took my phone into a Sprint store last night to have it tested, and it did indeed fail due to the other issues I was having with sevice (mentioned above), so I am now on my 2nd Shift as of last night. Unfortunately the texting glitch is even worse on this one, but at least I have service I suppose.  The Sprint rep said he has also heard of the issue, but didnt have any suggestions. I've also seen on some other HTC blogs that this is an issue with a lot of people. I am assuming it is a possible bug fix that HTC will need to fix in a future software release- hopefully at least.

Journeyman

That's very strange.

So to be very specific, you:

1. Open the Text Messaging app
  2. Open a long conversation
  3. Put the cursor in the Reply field
  4. Type 2 words, let's say specifically "I am"
  5. Wait 5 seconds
  6. The screen scrolls up 2-3 whole messages

Is that correct? Nothing like this happens on my Shift when I text with the hardware keyboard. It kinda sounds like you're accidentally hitting the up on the D-pad, or the D-pad up signal is being fired when you type.

Journeyman

Everything but number 5 on your list is correct in the process. There is no waiting- the movement upwards happens while I am typing, and I am not accidentally hitting any other key but letters.

Also, a quick google search turns up others with the same exact issue:

http://androidforums.com/evo-shift-support-troubleshooting/258595-screen-shifts-up-while-writing-tex...

Journeyman

SOOPAHMAN wrote:

That's very strange.

So to be very specific, you:

1. Open the Text Messaging app
  2. Open a long conversation
  3. Put the cursor in the Reply field
  4. Type 2 words, let's say specifically "I am"
  5. Wait 5 seconds
  6. The screen scrolls up 2-3 whole messages

Is that correct? Nothing like this happens on my Shift when I text with the hardware keyboard. It kinda sounds like you're accidentally hitting the up on the D-pad, or the D-pad up signal is being fired when you type.

Lol look, you get a text message, you start to reply, as your typing the reply  with THE KEYBOARD the screen starts to scroll upward. Almost as if a poltergeist is slowly pushing the screen upward. There is no waiting. There is no accidental button pushes. There is no touching the screen because Im using the keyboard. Its honestly the only issue I have with the phone. I have become quite adept at texting using the screen, but thats not why I bought the phone. I bought the phone because I wanted an Evo with a keyboard. SSYMESO1 seems to be having the same exact issue that I am having so I know its not just me. Ill do tomorrow what I absolutely HATE doing in my free time. GOING TO A SPRINT STORE....

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat