cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sdcard Class and Internal Memory

Journeyman

sdcard Class and Internal Memory

I'm looking at upgrading my memory card from the 2gb card that came with the phone to an 8gb card. What I'm curious about is a few of the cards I've been looking at say they are class 2 and class 4 and I'm not sure what my best option would be or if it even matters. My options are 8gb SDHC, 8gb SDHC Class 2 or 8gb SDHC class 4. Anyone have any opinions?

I'm also a bit curious about the internal memory on the shift.  According to all the specs I've seen, including on the Sprint website, and what I've been told by all Sprint Reps I've spoken to the internal memory is suppose to be 2gb yet according to the phone it has just over 300mb (this was before installing any apps) which seems to me to be a pretty big difference.  Am I missing something here?

4 REPLIES 4
Journeyman

Re: sdcard Class and Internal Memory

SDHC Class 2 vs Class 4:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speeds

If you're going to be really picky you should also consider power usage. Different SD cards have different levels of efficiency and will affect overall battery life.

Internal Memory - There are 2 kinds of "memory" on a smartphone - ROM (long-term) and RAM (short-term).

http://www.htc.com/us/products/shift-sprint#tech-specs

The 2gb ROM of the Shift stores the Android system and apps you install. Your 2gb SD card then adds another 2gb to store media files on. These 2 pieces are in a sense how much your phone can remember how to do.

The 512mb (1/2gb) of RAM is used by Apps while they're running; in a sense it's the total amount of stuff your phone can think about at a time. The 300mb free you're looking at is probably the amount of RAM you have free at that particular moment.

Journeyman

"The 512mb (1/2gb) of RAM is used by Apps while they're running; in a sense it's the total amount of stuff your phone can think about at a time. The 300mb free you're looking at is probably the amount of RAM you have free at that particular moment."

Almost.  But the 300 MB he mentioned was the ROM, not the RAM. 

So the phone has a total of 2 GB of internal storage (ROM) for the Android system and any apps that you download.  After they load the OS, the 300 MB is what you're left to work with for apps and the data that they store- that's what you see when you go to Settings->SD Card and Phone Storage.

RAM is different- the phone has 512 MB of it, but the vast majority is taken up by the OS.  After that's loaded and running, you're left with 100-125 MB left, which is the amount you'll see if you check it with a system diagnostic app, task killer, etc.

Journeyman

Yes, you're right namos. The OS, with HTC Sense etc, is much larger than I assumed. My phone has just 245mb of internal ROM free after the OS and apps. Older Android phones I've used were well under 1gb of usage for OS, so it seems it's grown quite a bit.

Highlighted
Journeyman

And we can thank the bloatware gods for that

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat