I have one individual that when I try to text her or answer one of her text I'm getting the following error message:
9230: Message sent using invalid number of digits. Please resend using 10 digit number or valid short code. Msg 2114.
I have deleted and reloaded her in my contacts, I have ensured I have her area code and phone number correct so don't know what the problem is. I'm able to text her husband with no problem but not her.
Try deleting her contact from your phone entirely. Then compose a new message by manually entering her 10 digit number so that it's sent not even using a saved contact. If you restored the contact from a backup, it's likely that the contact is corrupt even in the backup file. Let me know what happens
I'm a new Sprint user and am having the same issue and it's with the only "Contact" who is a Sprint subscriber. I'm not happy to read that this issue seems to have been identified in 2009 and it's still not resolved! I have no issues texting any other of my contacts who are Verizon users. When I try to text my one and only Sprint contact I get an error that the "Message sent using invalid number of digits. Please resend using 10 digit number or valid short code." There is an area code associated with my contact but when I click on message button it wipes out the area call. If I click on call the area code is embedded. I have tried manually adding the area code to an individual txt msg but get an invalid recipient address. I have deleted the contact and recreated numerous times and still get a msg from 9230 that my message didn't go thru. I receive texts from my Sprint contact but can't send. This is beyond frustrating!!
After several calls with Sprint, resets, store visits, etc I decided to do a step by step elimination on my own, and I have not had the problem since then (several days). First off, I think there may be more than one issue going on; some people have trouble with the messaging app converting a 10-digit number to a 7-digit before sending it, and others receive the 9230 error message after receipt of every voicemail msg, without so much as having touched the phone. Also, some (like me) have 2-4 phones on Sprint (3 HTC Evo, one Samsung) but only one of them has the problem. Like for many others, the problem started for me around early October. I began my elimination process by backing up data then wiping the phone to factory reset (it may now no longer be necessary for you to do this). After wiping it, I started by going through google contacts on my computer and made sure every entry had a 10-digit number then I synced them back to the phone, after which I called my number from my husband's phone & left a voicemail without getting an error message. Because this was just the beginning of my process of elimination and may not have been my issue at all, I added back my apps, one by one, (from Market not backup). After loading each single app, I called my phone and left a voicemail then checked the phone. It went on like this without a hitch until I loaded Seek Droid back on; I left the usual voicemail and received the 9230 error message. I uninstalled the app, left another voicemail, no error message. Rather than stop there, I reloaded the remaining apps, one by one, calling my phone after each install. No other problems. As a last step I restored from backup the data to programs such as Simi Folder, Noteeverything, etc. calling my phone after each one, and everything has been fine. I have not yet again reinstalled Seek Droid. Because I had added no new apps before this problem started, it didn't occur to me any of them could be the cause. Afterward it clicked with me that, although I have had Seek Droid a long time on this phone without incident, it did have a couple of updates around the time this issue started and that Seek Droid is the only app I have with authority to send its own text messages. This was a very long process which should tell you something about my frustration level with this problem. I would suggest that you not wipe your phone yet but first wipe only your contacts, then check each one on your computer gmail account or other contacts program, sync them back onto the phone then call your phone and leave a voice msg. For some, who don't have any apps with permission to send its own text msgs, this may fix it. If not, I suggest you then delete any apps you have with permission to send text msgs, such as Seek Droid, along with their pertinent stored data. Try calling your phone and leaving a text msg; if everything is ok, add it (or them) back on one by one and call your phone leaving a voicemail after each install.