cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explain the price: a rip off?

Journeyman

This device intrigues me, but I really can't understand the price. It is priced $399 similar to larger no contract tablets with Honeycomb. Furthermore, Sprint's EPRP site is selling it for $199 (stylus included!). (I have employee referral information, but can't add it to my account because my phone isn't on an EPRP plan.)

I can only assume from the price on the EPRP site that Sprint is overcharging substantially. Next to the Galazy Tab, $250 or MAYBE $300 seems to be the max value.

If Sprint offered it to me right now for $199 I'd be pulling out my credit card...

Thoughts?

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Master

The EPRP is for employee referral plans and is a special offer within the Sprint company. The tablet is regular priced at $649.99 so it’s a $250 discount if you’re eligible for an upgrade or you add a line of service which is still a pretty good deal. And it’s only the referral customers that get the $199.99 price but they also pay nearly regular price for the plan. We, as employees, may get a cheaper monthly service charge but have to pay full price, $649.99, to purchase this tablet on one our plans. It’s still better than the Motorola Xoom, and Blackberry Playbook which are wifi only and therefore not eligible for any discounts.

Tom

Journeyman

Well aware of what the stated non-contract price is. Also know that these prices are like MSRP on a car; don't take them too seriously. What in THAT hardware makes it $150 more than the ASUS Tranformer (10.1") 32GB?

Also, given that a certain Sprint VP freely includes his referral info on his blog, I don't think we can consider the EPRP program all that limited. Furthermore, the EVO View 4G is the only device on that site that is discounted as far as I can tell. (All the data plans available are priced the same; no discount there.) The "instant savings" is simply $200 more. This signals to me that the markup is substantial.

Master

The largest difference that I can see is the HTC View has the Sprint 3G/4G hardware plus a mobile hotspot router ~ built-in.  So it's not a WIFI only tablet.  It's also the latest tablet with Sprint service we've released and the price is always at a premium on new devices.  Depending on how well they sell, the price can come down like the Nexus 4G.  I paid $200 for that device cause I wanted it first thing when it came out, then a month or two later, it dropped to $100. 

As far as the exclusivity of our EPRP plans, it sounds like you can open a referral plan using the above info and get the $199.99 price. 

Tom

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat