cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ten Year Sprint Customer with Obvious Software bug in HTC EVO SHIFT - Offered Commitment Buyout?

Journeyman

Ten Year Sprint Customer with Obvious Software bug in HTC EVO SHIFT - Offered Commitment Buyout?

I think it is high time to find a new carrier after ten years with these guys.

I sent an email basically asking my carrier to step up to the plate with an issue my wife and I are having with our HTC Evo Shifts.  When we are in our house in Baltimore, the GPS and Weather applications all say we are in West Virginia!.

My wife has taken hers to a sprint store in columbia where they allegedly did some mysterious application reconfiguration.

AHHHH

Of course it doesnt work.

This issue is the same on BOTH of our phones.  my sons Samsung Moment receives GPS just find in the same locale.

I just a received a phone call offering a buyout for my two year comittment for 95.00 per phone.. making me eligible to buy a new phone.

Am I missing something here?

They havent offered me a solution to the technical problem, or anything they wouldnt offer to do if I was just terminating my plan..

LTE is supposed to be coming to the network and deployed in Baltimore soon.

Considering how little WIMAX 4g i get out of this phone.. im not holding my breath

Its crazy here in Baltimore with Sprint..

2 REPLIES 2
Master

Re: Ten Year Sprint Customer with Obvious Software bug in HTC EVO SHIFT - Offered Commitment Buyout?

Do you have an Airave - the home signal booster. It is a known issue that the GPS location when using it is not correct.

Which weather application do you use and have you tried a different application to see if it shows the wrong location?

Baltimore is on the early tier of network vision upgrades.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-26-sprint-announces-kansas-city-and-baltimore-to-network-vi...

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Re: Ten Year Sprint Customer with Obvious Software bug in HTC EVO SHIFT - Offered Commitment Buyout?

Larry, if they are on WiFi they may have the same issue, I saw this on an HTC phone the other day. For some reason on WiFi it is using the ISP's gateway as the location, not where the phone physically is. It only does it on some WiFi Connections, for instance at Wendy's it showed the correct location, and it did at Starbucks, but at my house it showed my ISP's gateway location (Irvine), and at their house it showed their ISP's gateway (San Jose).  I am leaning toward it is a bug in the GPS Software I found a while back, if the device is using the Network location (Cell, WiFi, or Airvana) for GPS it shows wherever the Network says you are at (Airvana used the ISP's), but when the device can see enough satelitte's in the sky it uses the real GPS location. I think this is why folks see their location is not where they are, all of these complaints seem to be while they are indoors, where they are sheilded from the satelittes in the sky.

In case anyone is wondering, I have a VZW Droid 4 that has the same issue so it is not carrier specific, must be the app or something Google needs to fix in the OS.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat