ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.1 does NOT have 1.5's ability to select Contact lists!

Journeyman

2.1 does NOT have 1.5's ability to select Contact lists!

Bear with me here. Those of you that HAVE huge numbers of Gmail contacts and restrict your contacts on the Hero may want ot WAIT or hold off permanently the update to 2.1....

in 1.5 you could easily filter/restrict your PEOPLE (Contacts) to one or more specific Google Contact Group, like My Contacts, or FRIENDS or any customized group you have created in your Gmail account. In my case, I have over 800 total Google/Gmail contacts (and I know folks with THOUSANDS) from all over the world that I meet at trade shows whom I will NEVER call or SMS and will only rarely, if ever, email. 

So like most folks that have a huge number of Gmail contacts I created a custom contact group I named Hero Phone Contacts.and in 1.5 I just hit PEOPLE>GROUPS>MENU>SYNC and I could see ALL my Google/Gmail groups and select any one or more group I want synced and visible on my Hero.......

As far as I can determine 2.1 does NOT have this capability so when I hit PEOPLE I get 800+ "Google" contacts!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heads up SPRINT, HTC, ANYBODY!

Is is possible that the ability IS still there and just buried??

Maybe, but I just spent three HOURS doing NOTHING but trying to find anything that would allow me to select which Contact lists I'd like to use and I could not find it..

if it is NOT there then:

What MORON at HTC or Sprint failed to notice or include this already useful and existing feature???

**IF** Sprint of HTC is listening please tell me how to sync 2.1 PEOPLE the same way I did in 1.5 or, failing that, tell me where to download the ROM for 1.5!!!

Please, somebody tell me I am wrong.. please....

Thanks,

a  terribly disappointed Doug

PS unfortunately we still have a phone that is actually illegal to dial while driving in a whole lot of states... My Samsung "Stupid" M610 was head and shoulders above the Hero and Android when it comes to Voice dialing with a headset or Bluetooth.. all I had to do was hit the button and talk... arrgghhhhh

Tags (4)
15 REPLIES 15
Journeyman

Re: 2.1 does NOT have 1.5's ability to select Contact lists!

I didn't notice 1.5 could do that.

Anyway, since the Hero 2.1 is 'supposed' to be capable of having multiple Gmail accounts, I would suggest that you just add a second Google Gmail account in Accounts & Sync.  It would be like having one account for personal use and another one for business use.  Then you should just toggle on/off the account in People/Menu/View to view contacts from either or both Gmail accounts.

Journeyman

Well while that might do for someone with a static contact list, it would be terribly inconvenient for someone that is often adding, moving and removing people from my gmail contact groups.. Instead of simply checking the box and adding them to or removing them from existing groups it would entail , exporting then deleting and importing new contact lists every time I wanted to change a person's info (fairly complete business info too, not just a name and phone number) from one group to another..  Not workable for me..

I could do it easily before, the same way I could use those groups in Gmail...

Still very stupid to have removed it.

Thanks for the suggestion tho.

Doug

Message was edited by: dgpete13

Under Display Options tap your gmail e-mail address and more options will appear.

Journeyman

<<Under Display Options tap your gmail e-mail address and more options will appear.>>

huh??

Thanks but I don't find a "Display Options" anywhere.. not under PEOPLE, or Gmail,  not under general Android SETTINGS no under any submenu of those.....

I do have a "Sound & Display" under SETTINGS but there is nothing about my email there...

If you mean under "Accounts & Sync" there is no Display Options, only the Manage Accounts. There I can tap Google and my ONLY option is to check or uncheck the Sync "Contacts" (no ability to choose which group), "Gmail" and "Calendar" and the menu button does nothing because the only other two options are already shown at the bottom: Sync Now and Remove Account..

Sorry, but I don't understand....

Just where are you pointing to?

Doug

Wizard

you do know that you can just hit the search box on the home screen and type in a name, part of a name, part of an email address and it'll find that contact for you, right?  You can also long press search and search your phone by voice ie. "Call Abe Lincoln".  Google is all about searching, not about scrolling, so it makes more sense to me that they promote you to just quick search.

by default my Hero is pulling "my contacts" into my phone, not all contacts.  All my contact lists are present under my groups as well, so I can send bulk text or emails right from there.  You are correct that I don't see the option in the same location to deselect certain groups. personally, I don't mind having all 1,461 contacts in my phone, makes it less of a switch from my desktop to my mobile life.

Wizard

whoops, I misunderstood your dilemma.  I didn't know you could easily assign people to groups in 1.5.  If my phone weren't broken, I'd test this out more.

Journeyman

yes, thanks, I do know about the search ability but scrolling is what I have to do to find a lot of business contacts with whom I am only vaguely familiar. I often have to see the name to remember since these are often folks that I have only delt with for a short time and wil only deal with for a few weeks or months.

I do know that, yes, the Hero 2.1 sync is with My Contacts, NOT with ALL CONTACTS in Gmail so I guess if the ability to select GROUPS was actually removed that I'll just have to use the My Contacts in place of the Hero Phone Contacts that I created....

BUT this is still missing the entire point that with 1.5 I could be at a trade show, select one of more additional group of folks that I needed to have for just those few days and then de-select that group when the show was over and not have to do a thing.

Thanks anyway to all of you for your help!

Journeyman

Oh BTW, it seems even though the Hero 2.1 advises me I can add a second Google Account, well, well, well, I CAN'T!  So, much for that suggestion I guess.  It looks like this is another bug in this 2.1 software not being able to add 'multiple' Google Accounts.

I hope you figure something out for you on this one.

Master

The Hero does support multiple Gmail accounts, I have two accounts setup and syncing my contacts and email. You can add another Gmail account in the Gmail app or from Settings > Accounts & sync.

As for syncing specific Gmail contact groups, I can't find a way in 2.1. I had never seen it in 1.5 becuase I don't use it, and I never had a customer ask about it either.

Wizard

I do not know if the Hero has this same functionality, but in 2.1 on the Moment, you can select which contact groups to display, not which to sync.

From the Contacts screen, press Menu then Display Options.  Under the heading, "Choose contacts to display" you will see a list of synched gmail accounts.  Select one and it gives a choice of groups to display.  I have not set up any groups, so I assume my list is the default groups.  It shows: System Group: My Contacts,  System Group: Friends, System Group: Family, System Group: Coworkers, Starred in Android, and All Other Contacts.  These are on/off toggles, so you can select any combination of groups to display.

Is there a similar display setting on the Hero, maybe from the People screen or from the phone application Contacts list?

Journeyman

The solution is to go to Gmail and put the important contacts in your My Contacts group. Then, only those contacts will show up in the People app.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat