cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon MP3 Store - now what?

Go to solution
Sprint Product Ambassador

Amazon MP3 Store - now what?

Ok, so I finally fired up the Amazon MP3 store and downloaded a free christmas song.

Now what?

Whacking on the song title in the MP3 Store app doesn't play it.

Opening the music player doesn't show the new song.

Pulled down a file manager and see that the 'normal' music is at:

/sdcard/music

and the Amazon music file is at

/sdcard/amazonmp3

I couldn't find a way to make the music player search that location to add the songs to my 'library'.  I could play the song by navigating to it in the file manager and long-tapping it to 'open'.

What is the normal accepted process once you get an MP3 file downloaded from Amazon?  Do you need to copy it to the /music folder by some means?

Or is there some setting in the music player I'm missing?

Thanks,

Will

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: Amazon MP3 Store - now what?

There are a few decent media players in the market that index more directories than /sdcard/Music...most let you choose which directories to look in. If you're interested in going that route, try TuneWiki, Mixzing, or Meridian (my favorite).

Otherwise, I think you just have to move the mp3 files into the Music folder...either with your phone mounted as a usb storage device on a computer, or through a file manager app (astro, estrongs, etc.). However, if you do this with a file manager on the phone, the music player won't see it until the sd card is remounted (either by unmounting then physically removing/reinserting, by enabling/disabling usb storage, or rebooting the hero). I don't think that these media players build their libraries by accessing file listings directly..rather, they ask some component in android, and it seems that it only gets refreshed when the sd card is remounted.

I was trying to use estrong's file manager to copy music to my hero via wifi from a network share, and even though I could see the files in estrongs and play them directly, they wouldn't show up in the library until the sd card was remounted.

Hope that helps

Wizard

The Hero music app will recognize any mp3 on your SD card so you don't need to move them. After purchase of a song from amazom mp3 store, it takes a second for your music app to repopulate the song list. Click from artists to songs and back, then the new song will show up. I just tried this and it works like a charm. No need for any other apps. The Music app may not access mp3s in the ringtones, alarms, or notifications folders....which is contradictory to opening statement, but is a good thing.

Highlighted

Hm.  It's been a day and it still hasn't shown up.

Journeyman

I had an issue with a couple pictures I downloaded the other day to use as wallpaper for the phone - nothing showed up in my albums folder but the images were there in my file system...what finally worked was to unmount and then mount the SD card (by going through settings->SD card -> Unmount...then Mount).  I don't know if it would help in this situation, but thought I'd suggest it. 

Mmark was right - finally got around to retesting and after about 2 seconds the purchased song just showed up in the music library.  No clue what was wrong, but it's all right now.

Works just like it's supposed to and now I've got more DRM-free MP3 goodness!

Thanks for the pointers...

Will

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat