cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Andoird 2.1 Flan on Sprint Hero

Journeyman

Re: Andoird 2.1 Flan on Sprint Hero

Although the guys involved have done some fantastic work, it's not 100% functioning yet. Camera, visual voicemail, multi-touch, and light sensor are still on the "doesn't work" list. I believe there are some apps available that get around most (if not all) of those shortcomings.

I have been holding off flashing this ROM because I was giving Sprint/HTC the benefit of the doubt that Android 2.1 was coming soon.

I think that if I want to see it on my Hero before it falls apart, I'm going to have to take the bull by the horns and do it myself.

Patron

I really like the Nexus One's app menu (showing you all the apps on yuor phone) better than the Hero, or any other stock Android phone's. With Nexus, you press the button on the bottom of the homescreen, and the app icons fade in, and then fade out when return back to the home page. I'd like to see something similiar on the Hero... the same ole' sliding-up app menu is getting kind of old.

Journeyman

basically root phone install customer recovery image then do a nandorid backup then install rom and boom lol

Journeyman

Well, I just tried the 2.1 ROM at XDA. Yes, it looks nice and is usable but it's still way too buggy for daily use. I am going back to 1.5.

My brief experience with 2.1 has REALLY made me upset that we don't have it yet. Given the extremely underwhelming press release from Sprint at CES yesterday, I think they are going to need to do something quick to keep the high-end device users.

Hmm, I may need to look at the ETF Loophole thread a little closer.

Journeyman

Keep in mind that nearly all of the Android phones using 2.1 Eclair are pure Google variants, to my knowledge. HTC and Sprint have custom apps that probably need some work, not to mention test. Sprint must also test this release to whatever SLA specs they have. Frustrating, I know. However, the expectation is that the testing will catch most of the glaring problems. My feeling is that the 1H2010 guidance that Sprint gave is about right. We are all hoping sooner than later, but I can't blame Sprint for being cautious. It takes time to develop software, and if it were easy, we would do it.

Cheers.

Journeyman

I do agree that Sprint needs to make sure that it's flavor of Android 2.1 is perfectly palatable with our demanding tastes. I'm the first to admit that I would be even more ticked if I got a half-baked OS than I am right now for waiting. I've been with Sprint for over 11 years and I'm not bugging out over one phone and one OS. Oh wait... that's the same thing I said with the Diamond and WM 6.5!

Besides, my money is on the talent at XDA having it finished before Sprint does. Of course, I would be more than happy for Sprint to prove me wrong on this.

Message was edited by: watzone69

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just wondering since you have the android 2.1 on your htc hero, did the look of the virtual keyboard change from the original one you had with 1.5? Bc i like the look of the original, like the white round letters and the gray background, but i have been seeing on the net with other phones with 2.1 update that the keyboard is now boxey (sp?) and black. Do you have the voice recognition now (speech to text)?

Message was edited by: tkmill02

Message was edited by: tkmill02

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat