cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 2.0 Ported to the G1, Hero soon to follow

Journeyman

Android 2.0 Ported to the G1, Hero soon to follow

If you have rooted your hero then Android 2.0 has basically come to the hero if its already been ported to the G1.

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2009/11/14/android-2-0-source-released-already-ported-to-the-g1/

Who cares about the sprint apps for now, the most important app is sprint navigation and with Android 2.0 Google maps has turn by turn so that solves that. The only downside is they haven't figured out the audio/video playback yet.

Tags (4)
10 REPLIES 10
Journeyman

Re: Android 2.0 Ported to the G1, Hero soon to follow

HTC Sense w/1.5 > stock Android 2.0. IMHO.

Patron

mobilehavoc wrote:

HTC Sense w/1.5 > stock Android 2.0. IMHO.

Agreed. Moreover, [ (HTC Sense w/1.5)x + (stock Android 2.0 )x ] < HTC Sense w/2.0x

Solve for x.

Just kidding. But I think I'll just wait for the new 2.0 Sense.

Note: The above formula applies only under the condtion that HTC's new Sense with 2.0 does not introduce more software bugs and lag issues. And x is a non-negative, non-imaginary number.

Wizard

I agree, I think that sense with 2.0 will be optimized and fast....since most of the code is native to Android with 2.0.

Journeyman

I also agree and cant wait, because when SENSE 2.0 Comes out the droid owners will cry and all of a sudden the whining HERO owners wont whine anymore. Thank God I love my hero and I dont have issues

Journeyman

Admit it, the droid's pretty sick. I would roll with one if it weren't for the super expensive verizon plans and ETFs. Sprint is still the lowest cost provider. I'll take my hero with a delayed 2.0 and 2/3 the cost of verizon, booyaaah. BTW I would take 2.0 without sense right now. I dont really care about sense. NBD to me. I'm running Hero without sense. Only thing I miss is the weather widget. BFD.

Journeyman

i feel the same way about rooting my phone but i am scared to have it messed with but am itching to do it trying to be patient for the 2.0  with sense cause i know it will be worth it ,as far as sprints apps are concerned they should have given us the option of uninstalling them anyway like you said the only one worth having is the gps they just take up space on your phone, but my main thing is being able to store my apps on my sd card so rooting sounds very inviting    

Journeyman

if you can figure out a way to make app2sd work with a rooted hero i would love to hear about it. i never got it to work.

Journeyman

I was informed there would be no math in this debate...

Journeyman

This thread needs some rumor updates so here it is.

I was listening to one of my favorite podcasts on Google Listen while I was driving to work, and I heard something that I couldn't believe.  The Podcast is one of the This Week in Tech (TWIT) series called This Week in Google (TWIG).  Check it out for yourself, it is in episode 16.  Go to http://www.twit.tv/twig16 and skip ahead to 33 minutes and :30 seconds into this TWIG podcast and you'll hear it for yourself.  Leo Laporte is big in the Tech industry so I'm not sure how to take what his Verizon contact told him about the HTC Eris and Android 2.0.  After all, the Eris is the sister to the Hero, right?

I do remember reading a boygenius report about Verizon planning something for both the Droid and Eris by December 6.  So, when I add the Hero's present problem with the Google Market, and the new Google developer distribution agreement for Android Market requirement by December 11th, with this Verizon Eris rumor, well, there's just a lot of various pieces this puzzle to consider...

Journeyman

I respect all of you who choose to root your phone.  And believe me, i understand the appeal of doing so.  But i found this article today in AndroidandMe to be very helpful in providing a "voice of reason" on the subject.  It provides some very thought provoking perspectives to consider, especially for Android beginners like myself.  It is important to understand that:

• Rooting your phone is a big decision, even if the process itself is fast and easy.
  • If you choose to root your phone, learn how to protect yourself and your personal information.
  • Rooting is not for everyone.

Here's one paragraph from the article that is very compelling:

"...with root-enabled Android applications we see all of the same potential for misuse that we see in regular Android applications and then add on a whole new level of potential. Why? Because root access circumvents the security restrictions that are put in place by the Android OS and there is not really any effective way to tell just what the application intends to do with that power."

I made the decision to buy a Hero in part because of Sense, so I will probably never root my phone.  To those of you who do root, have a blast...but take some time to be educated!

Ok, back to 2.0 for the rooted Hero

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat