cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 2.0 is coming to Sprint’s Hero & Moment sometime first half of 2010

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Android 2.0 is coming to Sprint’s Hero & Moment sometime first half of 2010

you are saying that it could take more than 6 months to make sense UI and 2.1 to work together. i'm sorry but that right there is where you lose all credibility. rip it apart all you want but if i had limitless resources and manpower (mix in a little what i like to call "want and need") there is absolutely no reason it should take 6 months to get the update to us. the fact that you are ok with that and actually defending it means you are either a htc fanboy or an employee. good day sir!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Android 2.0 is coming to Sprint’s Hero & Moment sometime first half of 2010

polo79 wrote:

i believe my point was that with enough manpower (and want and need) they could have this update ready for tomorrow. which in theory is absolutely correct. reading the actual words that i wrote would help in this debate buddy.

No, there is simply no possible way it could be ready tomorrow. To say that is ridiculously absurd. Complex software projects simply do not scale linearly with additional personnel.

And no one said it will take 6 months. I'd be willing to bet that we will be seeing it before the middle of Feburary. That's a lot less than 6 months away.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Android 2.0 is coming to Sprint’s Hero & Moment sometime first half of 2010

polo79 wrote:

you are saying that it could take more than 6 months to make sense UI and 2.1 to work together. i'm sorry but that right there is where you lose all credibility. rip it apart all you want but if i had limitless resources and manpower (mix in a little what i like to call "want and need") there is absolutely no reason it should take 6 months to get the update to us. the fact that you are ok with that and actually defending it means you are either a htc fanboy or an employee. good day sir!

I can only conclude from this post that you are illiterate. At no point did I say it would take 6 months, let alone more than that. At no point did I defend HTC. All I did was tear to shreads your completely logicless and utterly laughable "if i had limitless resources" hypohesis. That isn't defending anything, except for maybe critical thinking.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Android 2.0 is coming to Sprint’s Hero & Moment sometime first half of 2010

"No, there is simply no possible way it could be ready tomorrow. To say that is ridiculously absurd. Complex software projects simply do not scale linearly with additional personnel.

And no one said it will take 6 months. I'd be willing to bet that we will be seeing it before the middle of Feburary. That's a lot less than 6 months away."

I notice that both of you are focused on the word tomorrow but neither want to explain why they (sprint) said it could be till june. its ALWAYS fun to have a debate with a person who is unwilling and unable to see the truth. and that truth is that SPRINT (not johnathan or vita10gy) says it could be june (7 months) till we receive the update. defend and ammend all you want but that is what they said.

"I can only conclude from this post that you are illiterate. At no point did I say it would take 6 months, let alone more than that. At no point did I defend HTC. All I did was tear to shreads your completely logicless and utterly laughable "if i had limitless resources" hypohesis. That isn't defending anything, except for maybe critical thinking."

again, i could care less when the heck YOU think it would be. you are (sadly) no one important enough to ammend SPRINT'S own statement. by the way, i still find it funny that you guys can defend that SPRINT said it could take 7 months to make Sense UI and 2.1 to work together. attack me all you want but that is the true absurdity of all this and the reason i am on here talking to fanboys for useless opinions.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Android 2.0 is coming to Sprint’s Hero & Moment sometime first half of 2010

Everyone just calm down...

The fact that Goolge is release Android X.X is irrelevant. I am sure that HTC had their hands on Android 2.0 long ago - and are gearing up for the release of the next generation of Android phones right now.

HTC and Sprint cannot simply ship their devices with the latest release from Google. For HTC and Sprint the success of their product(s) is tied to something that Google provided for free. You get what you pay for...every time. Free does not automatically equal awesome...

Almost every service Google provides is free for a reason, when Google Blogger goes down (Gmail, Google Voice, take your pick..), they make every attempt to get it up and running quickly - but they have no responsibility to the users of that service. Phone manufacturers and Cellular Service providers on the other hand do have a responsibility to their consumers.

Sure, I want the latest OS, but I would prefer that my phone work the way it is supposed to as much as possible. This process is not straight forward, they need to test the device and all of the added applications (yes, that includes the 'crappy' Sprint and HTC add-ons...) and make sure that your phone is operating the way it is supposed to (or as close to that goal as possible...) before they ship it out to us. Testing is key here...I have no idea how long it takes (although I'll admit 6 months seems long...), but conspiracy theories about purposly holding back releases is a waste of time...that benefits no one.

Nothing is ever perfect and thats what MR's are for - Which we received a few weeks after launch.  I'm not defending how long it ends up taking or saying that is should take any specific amount of time - I'm simply pointing out the fact that Sprint and HTC cannot, should not, and probably will not attempt to keep up with Google for the reasons above...

I'll take a stable OS over the 'newest' one any day, which is most likely why our phones shipped with Android 1.5. This is not a fanboy thing, it is common sense.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Android 2.0 is coming to Sprint’s Hero & Moment sometime first half of 2010

polo79 wrote:

again, i could care less when the heck YOU think it would be. you are (sadly) no one important enough to ammend SPRINT'S own statement. by the way, i still find it funny that you guys can defend that SPRINT said it could take 7 months to make Sense UI and 2.1 to work together. attack me all you want but that is the true absurdity of all this and the reason i am on here talking to fanboys for useless opinions.

Look, you posted your "if they had enough people working on it it would get done instantly" gibberish multiple times, so don't flip the argument over as us saying that we're either hyper focused on your single use of "tomorrow," or, worse yet, that we're actually making the case that it will take 6 months. I'm not defnding anyone, in fact I'm not certain I've even typed the word "Sprint".

I quote software hours and target dates for a living. If someone asked me how long something would take to finish I'd take a guess, and as a rule of thumb, double it, because that's usually how it goes. If they asked for a target/delivery date, that's a completely different question.

If I quoted 160 hours for a project, a months worth of work if just I was working on it, and they then asked when they could expect it done I probably wouldn't go any earlier than 3 months from now, and might easily not make any promises for 6 months.* That's just the way it works, other things come up, things change, unknown things happen. Little bugs crop up that take 45 minutes to track down, only to turn out to be some minor typo. There are infinite unknowns, so you shoot for worst case scenarios. Expected delivery date and how many hours actually go into it are only loosely related, and are anything but equal.

Johnny and I have both stated, over and over, that we don't think it will actually take the full time, so I'm not sure how you can continually insist that we're stating "It will absolutely take until 6/30 and there's no chance of it being done before then". You are making strawman arguments at this point.

Could it take until June? Sure. Who am I to say. Something could go wrong, something could change, the day before it's set to release in April someone could find a major vulnerability that pushes it back a few weeks, and so on. I don't think so, but that isn't what we're arguing about anyway, we're arguing with you about your "if they just wanted to badly enough, and hired enough people, they could get it done asap" argument.

*Edit: Which also doesn't mean we'd drag our feet for that amount of time, or sit a project that was done in a month and a half until the 6 month deadline we gave. Beleive it or not people complain when dates are missed, but tend to like it when stuff is done early, so you pick a date where if everyone in the world wanted something from you, and World War III was happening outside your office window, would still be hard to overshoot.

Message was edited by: vita10gy

Message was edited by: vita10gy

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Android 2.0 is coming to Sprint’s Hero & Moment sometime first half of 2010

polo79 wrote:

I notice that both of you are focused on the word tomorrow but neither want to explain why they (sprint) said it could be till june.

Imagine how you'd be reacting if they said "By January 15" and then on January 15 they said "I'm sorry, we found a couple of extra bugs and it'll be another week or two." You'd be storming Sprint HQ and burning things down.

They didn't say by June. They said some time in the first half of the year. Could be any time. They're being overly conservative.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Android 2.0 is coming to Sprint’s Hero & Moment sometime first half of 2010

wafowler4 wrote:

Seriously, some 'options' are really not worth considering. I also have an account with t-mobile and have a MyTouch, it is a terrible device...just an all-touch version of the G1. The Droid is nice, but definetly not worth the extra money you pay with Verizon.

Have any of the people here actually played around with Android 2.0 for any length of time? or are you guys just making noise based on pictures from articles you read, and wanting access to the 'tons' of new apps only available to 1.6 and up?

I have played around with a Droid for about a week and have loaded an almost fully functional version of 2.0 on my MyTouch (BT and Camera still not working) it is not that great - IMO neither comes close to the Hero because of HTC Sense.

Android 2.0 does not come close to Android 1.5w/HTC Sense. And our upgrade to Android 2.1w/HTC Sense will probably maintain a significant advantage (I hope they add twitter integration into the people app).

I use the people application almost everyday, and I am amazed that some people think that this is "not that big of a deal"...

No other application or version of Android (Moto Blur, Samsung TouchWhiz) takes all of the texts, email, facebook updates, and flicker updates and manages them by contact.

If you do not use your phone for these features then you may have purchased the wrong device...

I think the majority of people who own the Hero bought it for similar reasons and while we are all anxious to get a great update from HTC/Sprint, it is not hard to understand why the majority of your peers are happy to wait...

this is sooo true!

the new nexus1.. looks great (hardware-wise) but... "stock" android

HTC knows how to make a mean UI

makes the darn thing sluggish (ugh) but damn is it good looking

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Android 2.0 is coming to Sprint’s Hero & Moment sometime first half of 2010

polo79 wrote:

you are saying that it could take more than 6 months to make sense UI and 2.1 to work together. i'm sorry but that right there is where you lose all credibility. rip it apart all you want but if i had limitless resources and manpower (mix in a little what i like to call "want and need") there is absolutely no reason it should take 6 months to get the update to us. the fact that you are ok with that and actually defending it means you are either a htc fanboy or an employee. good day sir!

Polo,

I'm not jumpinng on the bandwagon against you mate, but to put things into perspective, Vodaphone, O2, Orange, T-Mobile, Telenor, Telephonica, Virgin, Telia, China Mobile and Verizon all have Android phones from HTC, Acer, Motorola, Samsung, Dell and other phone manufacturers. NONE of them have 2.0/2.1 except the Droid/Milestone. NONE of them have even officially announced that they are even going to update their phones to 2.0/2.1 let alone given a time table for it. This doesn't even count the netbooks and e-readers based on Android that are also stuck in the 1.x world with no announcement of upgrades. Even the highly vaunted, iPhone killing, 4 inch screened Sony Xperia 10 super phone is shipping with 1.6 whenever it comes out some time Q1 2010.

That seems like an awful lot of companies and people in the same waiting boat as us. Doesn't seem like it's just Sprint dragging their feet. Something must be holding this up all over the world at every phone company. And it doesn't make me a Sprint or an HTC fanboy to point that out.

Disclaimer; Eris on Verizon did have a vague announcement from HTC that it too would get 2.0/2.1 but no time frame was given. I read Dec.11th, that obviously didn't happen and the same rumor guys now have said January. Well, they were wrong once so we'll see on the January rumor. But Verizon themselves have absolutely NOT given an exact date...NO company has.

Message was edited by: jturnbow

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Android 2.0 is coming to Sprint’s Hero & Moment sometime first half of 2010

Friendly reminder - -

             \|||/   
             (o o)   
,----ooO--(_)--------.
| Please             |
| don't feed the  |
|     TROLL's !     |
'-----------------Ooo--'
          |__|__|  
             || ||   
         ooO Ooo

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Android 2.0 is coming to Sprint’s Hero & Moment sometime first half of 2010

jturnbow wrote:

polo79 wrote:

you are saying that it could take more than 6 months to make sense UI and 2.1 to work together. i'm sorry but that right there is where you lose all credibility. rip it apart all you want but if i had limitless resources and manpower (mix in a little what i like to call "want and need") there is absolutely no reason it should take 6 months to get the update to us. the fact that you are ok with that and actually defending it means you are either a htc fanboy or an employee. good day sir!

Polo,

I'm not jumpinng on the bandwagon against you mate, but to put things into perspective, Vodaphone, O2, Orange, T-Mobile, Telenor, Telephonica, Virgin, Telia, China Mobile and Verizon all have Android phones from HTC, Acer, Motorola, Samsung, Dell and other phone manufacturers. NONE of them have 2.0/2.1 except the Droid/Milestone. NONE of them have even officially announced that they are even going to update their phones to 2.0/2.1 let alone given a time table for it. This doesn't even count the netbooks and e-readers based on Android that are also stuck in the 1.x world with no announcement of upgrades. Even the highly vaunted, iPhone killing, 4 inch screened Sony Xperia 10 super phone is shipping with 1.6 whenever it comes out some time Q1 2010.

That seems like an awful lot of companies and people in the same waiting boat as us. Doesn't seem like it's just Sprint dragging their feet. Something must be holding this up all over the world at every phone company. And it doesn't make me a Sprint or an HTC fanboy to point that out.

Disclaimer; Eris on Verizon did have a vague announcement from HTC that it too would get 2.0/2.1 but no time frame was given. I read Dec.11th, that obviously didn't happen and the same rumor guys now have said January. Well, they were wrong once so we'll see on the January rumor. But Verizon themselves have absolutely NOT given an exact date...NO company has.

Message was edited by: jturnbow

1Q 2010

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Android 2.0 is coming to Sprint’s Hero & Moment sometime first half of 2010

everyone, so it is safe to say that if we wait till june for this update that sprint and/or htc dragged their feet on the update? that is my point from the beginning and if that point can't be conceded there is no reason to continue. anyway, i know this fact could be lost with my previous comments but i am actually very happy with my hero (at the moment) but the market is an extreme problem. why do we have to wait for a whole phone update to get a decent market??? i'm wanting the update for that and the fact that i'm worried about devs starting to release more and more apps with 1.6 and above. if in fact they push the update to june it could be a MAJOR issue. i realize it is a "perfect storm" we are talking about but if that happens i will certainly be gone from sprint and possibly android as well.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat