cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 2.1 mid February?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Android 2.1 mid February?

I saw a rumor that the European Heros will get 2.1 in mid Feb.. I also saw a rumor somewhere that Sprint NAV is getting an update around mid Feb. too. Could this be to work with the 2.1 update that we'll be using then?

It may be wishful thinking, but I hope so...

108 REPLIES 108
Journeyman

Re: Android 2.1 mid February?

That would be awesome for sure! I know that in Canada under the Rogers network; that the HTC Magic (MyTouch in the U.S.) had official word that they will be getting a small upgrade in a few weeks, and a few weeks after that they will be upgraded to 2.1...sooo all these time lines seem to be aiming for Febuary...but unfortunately all this upgrade talk does not offer a specific date, so lets hope for a speedy upgrade!! 😄

Journeyman

crosses fingers and hopes for mid feb or sooner

Journeyman

Check out my blog post about this.  It mentions the information coming out Europe(specifically Poland) and the upcoming Nav update.  http://thoughtsofatechjunkie.blogspot.com/

Journeyman

LOL, my guess is that when 2/1/2010 rolls around we'll hear that 2.1 isn't worth it, that HTC/Sprint want to shoot for 2.5 Tiramisu

Fubie

Journeyman

Fubie wrote:

LOL, my guess is that when 2/1/2010 rolls around we'll hear that 2.1 isn't worth it, that HTC/Sprint want to shoot for 2.5 Tiramisu

Fubie

lol........................lol.....................sorry, still laughing.................I completely agree with this one!

Journeyman

Sadly, that is all too much of a possibility.

Personally, I hope Sprint and HTC run with the development on the 2.1 and release that. Of course, this may be wishful thinking. I don't think anyone wants to remain on 1.5 for much longer when so many other Android phones are already out with 2.x.

Cheers,

-Paul D.

Message was edited by: paulusbd

Journeyman

I'm pretty sure HTC has been working on 2.1 for a while, especially since a version of it was leaked before people even heard of 2.1. I think they'll get it out very quickly and then start on the next release. Since they already have put a lot of work into 2.1, they won't skip it, especially with everyone being extremely dissatisfied with 1.5. I really hope it comes in mid-February. As much as I love my Hero, Android 1.5 is just too old and buggy. I can't wait for the new voice features.

Journeyman

superlinkx wrote:

I'm pretty sure HTC has been working on 2.1 for a while, especially since a version of it was leaked before people even heard of 2.1. I think they'll get it out very quickly and then start on the next release. Since they already have put a lot of work into 2.1, they won't skip it, especially with everyone being extremely dissatisfied with 1.5. I really hope it comes in mid-February. As much as I love my Hero, Android 1.5 is just too old and buggy. I can't wait for the new voice features.

I believe the cost/benefit is what will detail whether we get or don't get 2.1, not how much "hard" work they have put into it.  HTC/Sprint really gives a load of dung about us if they aren't going to continue making money.

The longer both companies wait for the perfect update or to tweak a little more the more likely we Hero users are to lose out fo the "new hot" phone.

Fubie

Journeyman

I hope the release is in mid February. Why can't these updates happen more quickly? Maybe HTC is more concerned with the new phones they have coming out with Tmobile, Verizon, and ATT. You surf the web and see links about numerous phones coming out for HTC. I personally enjoy my Hero but would like for it to be updated with the current software. There was a survey posted on the web listing some results to some questions regarding Android devices. The 1st question is in regards to the number of owners of each Android device. The top two are the Droid and the Nexus One. Coincidentally, both devices run Android 2.1. I know that's not the only reason but still it should be considered. Android 2.1 makes our phone look ancient in a sense. I hope the update is sooner than later.

On a side note, why do Tmobile receive so many Android phones when they are the number 4 carrier? I know we operate on CDMA and they on GSM but is that really the answer?

If anyone has seen any information regarding the specifics of Android 2.1 for our Hero? Will it be just like the Nexus One? Will it support the live wallpaper that runs on the Nexus One? I hope it doesn't take the multi-touch capabilities away.

Journeyman

Here is a link to the survey I mentioned in my previous comment.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/01/14/android-survey-results/

Journeyman

Don't worry about multi-touch, if anything, the update will make it better since Android 2.0 and above supports it. Even the Nexus One has it, just not in stock apps. T-mobile was the original carrier and probably because they were the smallest of the big four. It was less of a risk for them to bring a new OS to the consumer. They got on board first, and it has played out well for them. Sprint didn't want Android until it was up to "their standards" or something like that. So we only have two for now. I'm sure a Nexus One-esque phone will be coming to Sprint, and I hope it has 4G. That will bring a lot of customers and I will get it for my next upgrade. I'm really hoping for 2.1 in February too. I love my Hero, but I really could use a better OS.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat