Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 2.1 mid February?

Journeyman

Android 2.1 mid February?

I saw a rumor that the European Heros will get 2.1 in mid Feb.. I also saw a rumor somewhere that Sprint NAV is getting an update around mid Feb. too. Could this be to work with the 2.1 update that we'll be using then?

It may be wishful thinking, but I hope so...

108 REPLIES 108
Journeyman

Not suprised that the update will come later than sooner. As I stated before, Android 3.0 will probably be running. The Motorola Droid has received their update sooner even though our beloved Hero came out first. Are there any other Android phones running 1.5 now? My guess is probably not. Most of the new phones coming out are running 2.0 or 2.1. I have seen videos on youtube of sprint hero running 2.1. Hopefully, its around the corner.

Journeyman

The only other phones running 1.5 are ones that contain manufacturer induced eye candy and Sprint's Moment. The eye candy just isn't worth it.

Journeyman

Sprint's 1st Half of 2010 means it will be sometime mid June... The phone will have a Sprint replacement by then.

Journeyman

Htc just released update for Hero on the Orange Network.  Must be nice. Maybe this means that ours is coming soon. Hurry up Sprint/Htc

Journeyman

What I am seeing on various sites is that the version is still 1.5 after the update.

Journeyman

The HTC Hero (GSM Model) update for Orange users was a maintenance update not a firmware update.  Check @htc twitter stream.

Journeyman

You might need to double check your sources a little bit.  The next version of the Android OS is 2.5 not 3.0 and it is still in development.  The Droid was launched with 2.0 it did not get updated to it.  The update was 2.0.1 and was a maintenance update to fix bugs in the original firmware.  Currently the only phone on the market or scheduled for release with 2.1 is the Nexus One, and the only one with 2.0 is the Droid.  All other phones currently scheduled for release are running 1.6.  LG announced yesterday that their new phone will only be running 1.6 as well.  The Heroes running 2.1 are the European GSM models using a hacked ROM.  There may be a few CDMA Hero users(Sprint) running 2.1 but those ROMs are not yet stable.  Most don't have working cameras.  The only stable ROMs available for the CDMA Hero (Sprint) are using the 1.5 version of the OS. 

Journeyman

I think Time Lord is right as Ken said  "we've posted 1H2010 as the goal and as we get closer"....What do you mean as we get closer? We ARE in the 1st half of 2010 right now! This update probably wont come out till the last minute in June. By then, 2.5 will be on its way and there will be new phones. Useless to update it at all.

Journeyman

Root and run one of the custom ROMs.  Stop waiting on Sprint and HTC.  The 2.1 ROM is getting better everyday and the 1.5 ROMs are are WAY more stable and WAY less laggy than the stock sprint ROM.  I'm loving my Hero and the new found freedom of true full customization!  The thing is really peppy and I don't notice any lagg at all..

Journeyman

I went back and updated my previous post #39 for clarification.  I hope that answers your questions.

Journeyman

Well I got tired of waiting and just bought a BB curve 8530. I'm a self-employed telecom contractor and need my phone to perform NOW not in 2-6 months from now.

This phone, like Windows95 was released TOO EARLY and has alot of bug fixes and upgrades to go through. We as the consumers are beta testing and reporting fixes to the developers which should have been done b4 it's release.

Yes I;ll loose the cool apps, the touch screen, the customization, and the freedom to do whatever I want with my phone, but I need something that works now, is responsive to my commands without lag, that has the BT sync that already works, and that doesn't require Google to operate.

As with the Iphone, I'll keep checking back to see if it's ready to meet the challange of someone who needs perfermance over fluff.

Sprint Product Ambassador

Good choice, Johnny!  You'll really like the BB.  It's a great phone.  And next year or the year after when you're up for another hardware refresh the Android platform will be more robust and reliable.  Android as a whole is very interesting but not at the level of maturity as a Blackberry device.  Buy the phone that meets your needs now.  We'll be selling phones in the future...

Thanks for the post!

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat